Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so i went out to a custom audio shop to have my Alpine HU installed into my 1997 ETC with Bose. I planned on keeping the stock Bose speakers and amps i just wanted a front mounted CD player cuz in 97 there was only a cassette deck. The install was going fine then they came back and told me that the HU is tapped into the computer and due to this i would need another adapter to run and connect the stock HU in the trunk and mount the new HU in the front or else i wouldnt be able to read codes or connect my car to a computer. My car had been there for 3 hours already for what i was told was a 1 hr job so i just said forget it then. My question is while i know by removing my stock headunit ill lose my chimes and the steering wheel controlls (unless i purchase anothe adapter) or were they just tryin to squeeze me for some more cash.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My 1997 ETC has a 12-disc changer in the trunk.... could you go that route?? It appears to be a factory unit.. I bought the car used, though..

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello...

The shop is correct.

It is my understanding that there are 3 options:

-keep Bose HU/existing amps +upgrade speakers (Kappa Infinity?)
-replace HU/use aftermarket HU to power rewired, new speakers.
-mount Bose HU in trunk/ install aftermarket HU to allow intergration of new HU with existing Bose wiring.

It has proven difficult to interface with this system.
Post back if you are successful.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a 12 disc changer orginally the plug is there as well as the mounts but when i got to the car it was long gone the dealer promised me one. I had the car for 3 mths still no changer...

ElDawgg 2G

So theres no way in the world to just put a new HU in and interfaces to keep the Bose and save myself the $100 bucks more for wire adapter to put the stock HU in the trunk. IDC about the chimes and such i just want a front CD player.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello...
From what I have read during my research, your only stock CD option is an OEM 6/12 disc changer.
The HU swap can be done with minimal fuss.

...this ain't your grandma's cadillac!

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No yours has theftock ill bet mine doesnt so i cant swap one of those in cuz there no way to unlock it. My car isnt programed to send the vin to the radio to unlock it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The only way to unlock it is with the infamous Tech 2.

I suggest purchasing a cd changer on e-bay. I hear they plug right in. AC Delco Electronics/Pioneer. Get it from the right model year.

And yes, definitely the head unit is plugged into the ECM. While I was changing the blower motor, I unplugged the coilpack. When I put everything back I did not seat the coil pack down all the way and one of the grounds (to the Bus-2) was not connected properly.

The head unit would light up and change CDs and I could hear nothing. I think one of the messages was "lost communication with the amp" and the computer thought "if I can't hear it, noone should.." and there you have it. Luckily I noticed the problem and screwed the ground back in and voila. Whew--close call.

·
Banned
15,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yea really no shit so either i gotta pay 250 for a audio shop to instal my after market one or pay the dealer for a bose cd radio and have them instal it.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
CadillacETC1997 said:
yea really no shit so either i gotta pay 250 for a audio shop to instal my after market one or pay the dealer for a bose cd radio and have them instal it.
That may be what Davesdeville was referring to... they get "too friendly" next thing you know you don't even know what hit you.... you get the point :bonkers:

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
Well. A friend of mine who is totally against Cadillac, and just does not get it (there are plenty of those around), who basically won't compliment anything about it, thought I had a remastered copy of a song we both like (Beatles).

He was so certain of it, until he made a copy and played it on his systems.

He said every car should have a Bose system.

The reason his ear was so keen on the difference, is that he is something of an audiophile.

Bose's philosophy is to recreate sound in the most natural and real-sounding way possible. They are so anal about their reputation, that they don't sell car stereos or speaker systems (unless they're replacements), because they design the system on a case by case basis. They fine-tune the acoustics to the enclosure.

I know I've gone through my phases of ear level tweeters, and of Bass boost, decreasing midrange for a cool, albeit artificial sound, but honestly, I really enjoy the BOSE system in my car.

Granted it may be impossible to impress others by playing it so loud that the folks at the grocery store look at you as you drive in the parking lot, or the kind that makes your neighbors want to call the police when you wake them up at night when you drive off in your car.

There's something about the Bose system in my car, that gives it just enough bass to feel it and see it (the rearview mirror vibrates gently). It makes me smile.

It even makes those friends that do not agree with a Cadillac at a younger than traditional age, green, if they're audiophiles.

If you want more bass, purchase an active subwoofer. I've heard the Bazooka is decent, and you can splice it in. If all you want is the capability to play CDs, then purchase the CD changer on eBay. So what if you have to load it? It beats paying a buttload of money to either replace it or upgrade it to the one with the headunit.

My unsolicited $0.02

Edit: Bose is so anal that they sometimes don't even offer a tone adjustment or graphic equalizer--why mess with such a close representation of "real," they think. No fancy equalizers on any of their products (to my knowledge, or they are rare if I'm wrong).

·
Registered
86 Posts
my 94 etc didnt come with the bose:worship: maybe you didnt have the choice with the 96:hmm: now i have a new deck subs 10s with i think 500 rms on 2 ohm

·
Banned
7,971 Posts
True, but I believe he was referring to those bass-tube things they make. Those aren't half bad, just to add a bit more bass to a stock system. I've got a Bazooka amp and MTX subs, the amp isn't half bad.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
About this Discussion
27 Replies
8 Participants
CadillacSTS42005