Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up my V Coupe from Borla yesterday afternoon and spent some time there with all the guys in R&D. Here are full pictures of the full cat-back system they just built for the CTS-V Coupe.

It sounds better than anything else I have heard so far. Inside the cabin is very quiet during cruising and you can hear the exhaust when you go WOT. It is the perfect balance of sound. It's not too loud and not too quiet. You guys will love this system! It should be out in about a month or so, but the wait is very well worth it! This Borla system really shows off the LSA's deep V8 rumble.

The Borla system shaved off 27 lbs. off the car and was dyno tested to give 10 RWHP gain. My CTS-V coupe with 500 miles on the odometer put down 476 RWHP after the system was put on. The combination of weight savings and the 10 RWHP gains really made this car move when I drove it home. I absolutely love the way my CTS-V sounds now. Borla made the car even more amazing!

Here are pics and video:

STOCK EXHAUST AND IT'S ONE BIG PIECE. IT HAD TO BE CUT SO BORLA COULD BOX IT UP FOR ME TO TAKE HOME.

NO MORE FLAT PIPE!!

ON THE DYNO

YOU TUBE VIDEO IN 720P:

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
Very nice. This is something that I will be interested in. My coupe should be in Mon or Tue. I was under the impression that the coupe didn't have the flatened exhaust like my sedan, but I can see that it too, has the same restriction. Now I wait for the real numbers. Cecil...............:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9
568 Posts
Dr.V

FARGIN PERFECT, I'm so glad I waited to get an exhaust system. "Who's AZZ do I phone/email to get me one" ASAP.

Thanks for being the test mule! What size pipe did they use?
George

Wouldn't mind if they come out with a polished version either. On my C5 Z "stingers" system, I laid on the ground for 2 days polishing it until it looked like chrome. (I was too stupid to do it before the install)

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Borla would need a V Wagon for 2 weeks in order to develop a full cat-back exhaust system for it. The V Wagons are so ultra-limited in numbers and who is willing to give up their car for 2 weeks? I was going nuts while Borla had my car.

Torxila,

Keep in touch with us as we will be getting the first couple batches of the V Coupe systems BEFORE anyone else can even order them. You will be able to get the system from us.

I didn't ask them what size piping they used, but it looked to be 2.5" up close. I can ask and find out.

If Borla polished the system, it would just end up costing more for no reason. You dont see any part of the exhaust unless you are under the car. All you can see with the car on the ground is the tips.

·
Registered
11 CTS-V Wagon 6MT Crystal Red all options NO sunroof
531 Posts
OK I'll say it before anyone else does. :) Your left tip is hanging a little lower than your right tip. Still sounds awesome, and unless someone is anal like me they wouldn't notice it. I still LOVE the sound though.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
Borla has a great sound. They always have. It's a must have on a Mustang.
The only thing about Borla, like Corsa, is it has that motorboat idle sound. Too bad they can't a better low range sound like Magnaflow.

·
Registered
1958 Coupe DeVille
591 Posts
I do have I question. Will this still pass smog(Ca.)? I see they hook up behind the main cats, but I don't know if there are two or four cats on the stock coupe at this point. Cecil............

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
92 Posts
I have to admit, I was hesitant when I heard you were going to be the test mule for a new Borla system. That sounds seriously tough now! I mean, I love the current sound of my exhaust as Cadillac did a great job on the look and sound of the coupe exhaust, but that seriously would make those muscle cars look twice after hearing it roar!

Great job and definitely share the price with us! Glad to hear you got hooked up as a benefit! Great video and pictures!

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V, 2009 535i
1,840 Posts
I do have I question. Will this still pass smog(Ca.)? I see they hook up behind the main cats, but I don't know if there are two or four cats on the stock coupe at this point. Cecil............
Those aren't the main cats, the main cats have been eliminated (which contributes to the HP gain). The ones up front are the close-coupled pre-cats for quick light up. Time (and luck) will tell whether systems set up like this pass smog (visual as well as sniffer) here in Cali.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Caddy Wagon,

Borla did a final adjustment on the tips after I took all the pics. They noticed it too, but it was so slight that it was almost unnoticeable. It is perfect now.

JimmyH,

It's the youtube video that makes it sound like that for some odd reason. It doesn't have that Corsa motorboat idle sound. There isn't any interior resonance which is great because it gives you an amazing V8 throaty rumble and it sounds amazing at WOT. I noticed the motorboat idle sound as well on the video becuase it doesn't quite sound the same in person. It sounds much better in person. Borla installed their S-Type system on my brother's 2011 Mustang 5.0L yesterday and all I can say is WOW! That system screams and sounds purely evil!

qictrk,

Borla said it will most likely cost the same as their sedan system, so that kind of gives you an idea of what it will be priced at. It is also in-line with pricing that other manufacturers offer.

As far as it passing smog, I can't see why it won't. The main front cats do all the work. The rear cats aren't regulated by 02 sensors at all. They look more like resonators than cats.

Borla is going to release a rear section only as well as a full cat-back system for those that are concerned with smog issues. California doesn't require smog on new cars for 6 full model years. I won't have this car that long, so I am not worried. The car doesn't smell more over stock as the main front cats are what is doing all the work.

·
Registered
37,297 Posts
that's great to hear. I have heard several Borla systems on mustangs (some cat-back, some combined with headers) and I never heard the motorboat idle on them. but those were ford v8s, and I have never heard a Borla in person on an LSx. I have heard a couple V1s and a GTO with the Corsa, and they all had the motorboat idle.
so good to know. If I ever do an exhaust on my LS3, I would be leaning towards Borla.

·
Registered
2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)
4,537 Posts
Thanks for sharing the video. That. Sounds. AWESOME. Now we need some pics of the car in motion.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts