Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CTS-V Coupe,XLR, Escalade, CTS Coupe AWD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am I correct in believing that the boost gauge should show some level of activity on a regular basis. Mine sits at zero. So i just called to schedule an appointment which they made after a conversation that "it might only kick in at high rpm or speed".

I've had car at 5000 rpm in 1st and 2nd but have only so far taken it to 80mph (still only 400+ miles on it)

I have never had a car that didn't run some boost all the time and increase with RPM. So i am assuming the gauge is either disconnected or broke since i have to believe if the sc wasn't working at all i would be getting a message from the DIC.

So am I totally wrong and maybe nothing is wrong or is my biggest fear starting to happen that the cadillac's dealerships don't have a clue on what is going on regarding servicing the car?

·
Registered
09 CTS V
26 Posts
It should show some movement. Get in fourth or fifth gear and accel. Dont even have to accel. hard, and it should start showing boost. Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 GTR
1,026 Posts
Boost depends on load. I can drive the car normal at any speed and get no boost. You put load on the car (i.e. floor it) and the boost should instantly peak at around 9lbs. Don't be afraid to break this car in hard.

Mark

·
Registered
None
143 Posts
What they said, car makes quite a few ponies without the supercharger so you'll have to really being going at it to get into the boost range. Or just drop it down to 5th gear like they said and give it throttle and you'll easily load the engine .

·
Registered
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 2009 Black CTS-V
3,570 Posts
Boost depends on load. I can drive the car normal at any speed and get no boost. You put load on the car (i.e. floor it) and the boost should instantly peak at around 9lbs. Don't be afraid to break this car in hard.

Mark
Agree. Try loading the motor and see what happens.

·
Registered
CTS-V Coupe,XLR, Escalade, CTS Coupe AWD
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks if i accelerate much more agressively i get boost.....

·
Registered
CTS-V 2009 White Diamond, 996TT Silver, G35 Coupe 6mt, M45S
413 Posts
So funny, i did the same thing when i first got my 996 turbo. Didn't see any boost. perhaps a 0.1 (atmosphere)
Turns out, I was babying the car and the turbo protected it self quite a but for the first 2000 miles, especially when it was cold.
Back in late 2001 i test drove a new M3, wasn't really impressed with the power, test drove a regular 996 and then the turbo. The turbo absolutely did it for me. But i remember, the test car had about 1900 miles on it and when it was cold, it simply didn't do a thing. Then when i got my brand new one, it didn't show much boost, asked the dealer and they drove it around with boost just fine.
I remember the turbo really came alive after 2000 miles on the clock. All of a sudden it wanted to go. During normal operation, it protects the engine, it won't boost over 0.6 until 120mph, then it will do a 0.7. At 150mph it will do a 0.8 and *only* at 180mph did it go to 0.9. Yes, I managed to get it to 198mph with a tailwind (probably around 193, since porsches all read 5mph high). Now my Ruf dealer says he can get that boost up to 1.1. Scary, I would need better brakes!

Sofar I got the V up to about 140-150 on an access road. Trying not to get arrested. But it gets there really quick!

·
Banned
04 Escalade, 08 IS-F
22 Posts
Very interesting.....don't most boosted cars bring on boost gradually, peak, then taper off for longetivity? So the new V peaks at around 9 psi or close to .5 bar:cool2:

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
So funny, i did the same thing when i first got my 996 turbo. Didn't see any boost. perhaps a 0.1 (atmosphere)
Turns out, I was babying the car and the turbo protected it self quite a but for the first 2000 miles, especially when it was cold.
Back in late 2001 i test drove a new M3, wasn't really impressed with the power, test drove a regular 996 and then the turbo. The turbo absolutely did it for me. But i remember, the test car had about 1900 miles on it and when it was cold, it simply didn't do a thing. Then when i got my brand new one, it didn't show much boost, asked the dealer and they drove it around with boost just fine.
I remember the turbo really came alive after 2000 miles on the clock. All of a sudden it wanted to go. During normal operation, it protects the engine, it won't boost over 0.6 until 120mph, then it will do a 0.7. At 150mph it will do a 0.8 and *only* at 180mph did it go to 0.9. Yes, I managed to get it to 198mph with a tailwind (probably around 193, since porsches all read 5mph high). Now my Ruf dealer says he can get that boost up to 1.1. Scary, I would need better brakes!

Sofar I got the V up to about 140-150 on an access road. Trying not to get arrested. But it gets there really quick!
Having owned both, how would you compare the 996tt to the 09V? Acceleration, braking, handling, comfort, noise, etc?? VERY interested to know! Thanks! These are both in the running for my next DD :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts