Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got stopped at 3am for having my front plate on the windshield. Pulled onto a side street, windows down, car off, keys on the dash, interior lights on, hands on the wheel. Cop was cool but still got the ticket. Oh well, for $110 let's just call it a tax. Not like they're going to ticket me every day.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats homo... what a lame cop he probably drives a honda and got smoked by a V!!!
I knew it was gonna happen too. I was at a red light going north. Saw the cruiser driving west at the intersection going really slow. Slowed down even more when he saw me. Light turns green so I keep going north. Even told myself "here we go". Then saw him do the U-turn so he could come north after me. Followed me for a bit, came up beside me twice then turned the lights on. Whatever, it's the first time it's happened. If I get another one I'll start a scrapbook or something.

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
It was your B&B that first got the OPP's attention.

:duck:

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Thats why I haven't deleted mine yet ..... yet! I still plan on it but It just gives them more reason to pop me for tint as well..... So lame because they are both just revenue makers and stupid laws that the public would vote down if they had the chance.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V with a little hp persuasion device
3,824 Posts
Thats homo... what a lame cop he probably drives a honda and got smoked by a V!!!
Its a pretty simple law to follow. You may not like it, I dont like, but its still a law. You shouldn't bash police officers for making stops like this. All you ever hear about is how that sob pulled me over for this, or he pulled me over for that. Dont do stupid stuff and you wont get pulled over. With that being said, I've been pulled over 3 times in 3 days. Got one ticket out of it too. Did I deserve it, you bet your ass I did. Do I still respect police officers and the the job they do, damn straight. Please dont make another homo statement like the one above.

·
Registered
'05 LS6 V Stealth Grey; '14 Z71 SLT Sierra 1500 Stealth Grey
2,821 Posts
That sux Jon. Since V day, I've been driving around with my plate in the garage. Just playing Russian roulette for a little while. One cop in my town used to always pull me over and finally ticketed me until I put it on. What were you doing out at 3 am anyway? You're lucky he didn't have you play follow the leader on the side of the road (sobriety test).

·
2016 ATS Premium 6-spd MT
14,075 Posts
Its a pretty simple law to follow. You may not like it, I dont like, but its still a law. You shouldn't bash police officers for making stops like this. All you ever hear about is how that sob pulled me over for this, or he pulled me over for that. Dont do stupid stuff and you wont get pulled over. With that being said, I've been pulled over 3 times in 3 days. Got one ticket out of it too. Did I deserve it, you bet your ass I did. Do I still respect police officers and the the job they do, damn straight. Please dont make another homo statement like the one above.
You couldn't pay me enough to be a cop. It's their job to protect the public from itself.

·
Registered
2005 CTS-V
296 Posts
Hey Luv I hear Illinois is trying to, or maybe already has, passed a new tint law. Yours would still be illegal, but hey its a start. 35% is the front limit i heard. I live in Springfield, and have been driving the V for a year and a half without the front plate. Never had any problems yet. I'm knocking on wood.

·
Registered
'05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo
4,001 Posts
I hate the front plate, but in NYC, my bumper cover would be a mess without it.

·
Registered
2005 Cts-v
177 Posts
I got a ticket once for no plate(not in the V), but it was initially for speeding, and he just let me off with a no license plate ticket. I was very happy to sign for that ticket!!! I fully expect to get one in the V one of these days, but I cant justify defacing my car for some bullS*** law like that. I wont be upset for it, however, If i were a cop I wouldnt write one up for somehting so mundane.

·
Registered
1959 Cadillac, 1980 Cadillac,Former 2005 CTS-V; now a 2009 V
2,210 Posts
Got stopped at 3am for having my front plate on the windshield. Pulled onto a side street, windows down, car off, keys on the dash, interior lights on, hands on the wheel. Cop was cool but still got the ticket. Oh well, for $110 let's just call it a tax. Not like they're going to ticket me every day.
haha wow you tried real hard ;)

yesterday was my car's 2 year anniversary, and i've never once been pulled over for not having a front license plate. i guess it's because half the cars here have no front license plate.

my routine is usually pull over, put parking brake on, roll window down, and put my hands on the door (where the window goes in) so they can see my hands ;)

i've probably been pulled over 12-15 times in my life, only ever got 3 tickets though :)

·
Registered
Silver '05 V
1,238 Posts
Getting pulled over at 3am seems like a drunk driving check. He saw that you didn't have a front plate and that gives him reason to pull you over to see if you are driving with your friends, jack, jim, and johnny. I got pulled over at 2am once, hadn't been drinking, speeding, all full stops, I ask if there was a problem and he says, 'one of your license plate lights are out.' Basically checking me for booze. No ticket though. Getting pulled over sucks, but since I speed 99% of the time, getting pulled over for it once every 3 years is like you said, just a tax or in your case the front plate.

·
Registered
2011 CTS-V Coupe
1,635 Posts
I have no front plate either, havent been pulled over for it in the V yet. I currently have 2 speeding tickets in process at the moment and fortunately they didnt check out the plate. Cars look so good without the plate i rarely notice it. I wonder if having it on your windshield/dash drew attention which cause him to notice it wasnt on the bumper. Also if having it on the dash didnt save you from a ticket, why did you have it there in the 1st place? Unless you thought it made ya legit, i see a lot of people do that and just assumed that made it ok.

One of the 2 tickets i recently got was about 5 mins after my DSS burnout video, so i was as polite as could be. Just kept thinking to myself if only you saw what i was doing a few mins ago! Also my inspection/registration were expired since February, he asked why. I was covered in grease/dirt/sweat from the axle install i just finished and told him the car had been parked with broken axles since March and that i just fixed it. The jeep was on my insurance card, so i told him i just drive that 90% of the time. Just got a warning for those and took care of them the next day. Last time i was pulled over in that town i got a ticket for front plate (in my f150), inspection, speeding, and address on my insurance card being different than my license. Not one warning even though i was polite with my yes sir/no sir etc.. Guess he was having a bad day

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
188 Posts
Sounds to me like Jon was very respectful of the officer's presence and didn't get much in return. He wasn't revving his engine like crazy or driving around like he just robbed a bank. He was sitting at a light; inanimate, motionless, still, idling. His main fault was being on the road at 3am. So the officer (probably bored) played the odds and pulled him over thinking he might have a chance at a DUI bust. When that didn't happen he had to justify the stop for some reason.

I respect cops, but not ones like that. Yes, most put their lives on the line every day for us. But it would be foolish to assume that every officer of the law is a saint and bases every decision on the best way to "protect and serve".

Meanwhile there was some crackhead junkie breaking into an orphanage right around the corner...but it's a good thing that piggy was able to identify and give out that front license plate ticket...otherwise the city just wouldn't be safe.

As for the license plate...not all of us are mindless robots that follow "the law" just because it says so. A lot of laws need serious revision. I'd also wager most "law abiding" citizens break traffic law every day and don't even know it (or really care). For example, does every one here come to a full complete stop at a stop sign, wait 3 seconds, then proceed cautiously through the intersection? What about doing the same thing before turning right on red? 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi,....

Sorry for the rant, but IMHO that ticket was BS.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was out at 3am because I was on my way home. My g/f came over yesterday; she doesn't drive, so I had to drive her home. I'm not really complaining. The law says the plate has to be mounted on the front of the vehicle. IMO my dashboard is the front half of the car. The law does not say it has to be the front tip of the car. It's really officer's discretion. Same with our tint laws. If the police officer says he can't see inside, then he can ticket you. It doesn't matter what % the tint is.

·
Registered
05 maggied CTS-V, 2017 NSX Whoo Hoo!
8,810 Posts
I have the front plate on, and it was the only thing the cop couldn't write me for (excessive noise YEAH B&B! :thumbsup:, and tint).

He was kind of upset that he couldn't tag me for that to.

As you know (if you watch cops), these stops give the police "probable cause" and a reason to toss your car.

They also carry guns, so I am real nice.:)

·
Registered
04 cadillac cts v
5,585 Posts
Hey Luv I hear Illinois is trying to, or maybe already has, passed a new tint law. Yours would still be illegal, but hey its a start. 35% is the front limit i heard. I live in Springfield, and have been driving the V for a year and a half without the front plate. Never had any problems yet. I'm knocking on wood.
sweet because Mine is actually 35% it just look darker because I have black interior ;)

plus i dont drive the V in the rain or cold (If there is salt The v stays home) so i always roll my windows down anyway

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have the front plate on, and it was the only thing the cop couldn't write me for (excessive noise YEAH B&B! :thumbsup:, and tint).

He was kind of upset that he couldn't tag me for that to.

As you know (if you watch cops), these stops give the police "probable cause" and a reason to toss your car.

They also carry guns, so I am real nice.:)
He made a comment bout my exhaust too. Said it was loud, haha. I had the car shut off when he stopped me though so I was hoping he wouldn't know how loud it really was.

Honestly I don't think they were looking for anything else. They didn't ask me if I'd been drinking, they didn't ask me why I was there or where I was going, etc.

1 - 20 of 79 Posts