Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C'mon Fleetwood guys! I've asked this question like a dozen times on the SS Forum and nobody has helped me out! I hope someone here has some info for me! Anyone who has removed the bumperettes and replaced them with bolts: where did you get them??? :confused: I've gone to 100 Auto Zones and hardware stores. The only shiny bolts they offer are carriage bolt style, but the holes in the bumpers are round, not square. The air flow joke is getting old...any help will be greatly appreciated!!!

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
2,235 Posts
Dude, Try hot rod shops or motorcycle custom shops or let me know exactly what size and length you need do you want Allen heads or hex or whatever and what finish, Chrome, Black, etc.etc. and I'll get them for you and we can make arrangements to get them to you! Problem solved!!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KC,
Thanks for the advice. There's a speed shop in my town, but it's weak...it closes early and I don't even think it's open on weekends! I've got to check that place. I haven't had a chance to hit the local motorcycle shops either, but I'll try that too. I'll let ya know if I have any luck!

Thanks!
Jeff

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Jeff,
The problem of the bolt type is actually quite easy. Either file the square shank of the bolt round, or file a suare into the bumper hole.
The question I have is, once you remove the bumper guard, there is a round, raised area on the bumper around the upper bolt hole. Are you aware of this, and if so, how are you planning to handle them?
BTW, you can use bumper bolts from any pick-up or van that has a chrome bumper.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin, it looks like Josh is going to hook Bill and me up with some of those carriage bolts that have the flared round edges instead of the box - exactly what I need!

I've had the bumperettes off for a while - are you talking about the little protrusions on the rear bumper? I don't know...I don't think they'll be as noticable as the bolts themselves! If I remember correctly, the holes in the front bumper are flat. I wish it were as easy as a Photoshop smoothing job!

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, you're right. I just looked at some pics of my car. :) Uh, honestly I didn't really have a plan. I figured the bolts would stick out enough as it is. I wish it was easy to smooth them out without spending a million bucks!

Actually, I've thought about smoothing and re-chroming, but I should just shake those thoughts right outta my head. As soon as they're done, some moron will bump into the car and dent the bumper anyway!

Jeff
*Couldn't dent my winter beater if I tried...isn't that the way?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, although I have to give you my "Caddy crash" story...

I was coming down a STEEP hill one day in the rain. This kid ran a stop sign from my right and came out in front of me. My ABS kicked in, but there was no time to stop. I hit his Jetta doing between 20-30 mph. His driver's side front tire was mangled, and the car was undrivable. One of the tabs on the little plastic moulding on my front bumper snapped in the impact, but the moulding is otherwise still in tact. My chrome license frame cracked as well. Needless to say, while I was pissed, my girlfriend laughed her ass off.

Cheers,
Jeff

·
Registered
1995 Fleetwood Brougham
354 Posts
Hi *
My Dodge B250 Van/Wagon with a chrome front bumper had round bolts which were chromed.

I suspect you can get them from any Chryco dealer quite easily.

If not, try a boneyard with a Dodge truck that has a chrome front or rear bumper.

Good luck

·
Registered
'94 Fleetwood Brogham, '94 Fleetwood, 2010 SRX 4WD, F250
768 Posts
Hey, BA94Cad; Did you recently remove them? I've been looking for the front units with the chrome caps/tops. Both top pieces have popped off down the road somewhere. They were just glued on.

If you still have them, I would love to make a purchase....

·
Registered
'78 Superior Cadillac Amublance, '69 Miller Meteor Ambulance
245 Posts
You can get just about any bumper bolt from these guys. They will even sell you rechromed bumpers, or modify yours for a price... If they don't have it, and they can't get it, then you just don't need it... Junk.

Bumper Boyz,
2435 E 54th St
Los Angeles, CA
323-587-8976
800-815-9009

1 - 12 of 12 Posts