1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently drive a modded M3... considering the CTS-V

I prefer American... 4 doors and a V8.

Should I make the switch?

What about Wheel Hop? The M3 is so planted!
What about reliability?

Some comments... thanks!

·
Registered
'04 CTS-V platinum/blk.
1,227 Posts
Part of the fun of owning a V, is the looks I (we) get from M-owners such as yourself. Sell the M, buy a V and experience this for yourself!

In all seriousness, the V rocks. It has it's quirks, but it also has endless personality.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
well, if you were spending the money to mod the M3, you'll be very happy at the amount of mods per $$ you can get with the V. I think most people here agree that forits flaws, the joys of the car greatly outweigh them. Besides, you'd be coming in at a great time. Suspension pieces are coming out. The beefier '06 diff is out and will soon be on any '04,'05 that fail. 3 different parties are exploring an aftermarket diff/cradle combo.

Add to that all the nutcases who feel the need for something new and there are a ton of mods hitting the market for the cost-conscious buyer. Unless you always want to have the latest and greatest on the market, now is a great time to get into the V. Hopefully, we'll be welcoming you soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thebigjimsho said:
well, if you were spending the money to mod the M3, you'll be very happy at the amount of mods per $$ you can get with the V. I think most people here agree that forits flaws, the joys of the car greatly outweigh them. Besides, you'd be coming in at a great time. Suspension pieces are coming out. The beefier '06 diff is out and will soon be on any '04,'05 that fail. 3 different parties are exploring an aftermarket diff/cradle combo.

Does the "06" have a different differential... one that will fix the hop on hard start?

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
m3sweet said:
Does the "06" have a different differential... one that will fix the hop on hard start?
The '06 has a bushing "fix" that soem are happy with, others are not. Many of us bought cradle bushings from Specter that are a bit beefier that many are happy with. But it doesn't totally get rid of wheelhop. What it will allow you to do is launch cleanly, if you know how to slip the clutch properly.

As for the diff, that won't change he hop. But it does have a noticably beefier casing. I've heard some of the internals are different but I don't know enough about that. But the weak casing was my problem, not the internals, as was the case with many. I shattered my casing after some bad wheelhop(before the bushings).

·
Registered
CTS-V
1,621 Posts
The other solution to the wheel hop is swapping stock tires for some sticky aftermarket tires. I recently bought 20" wheels and replaced the stocks for some Nitto NT-555 Extreme tires. I went with 275/30/20 in back. You can go as wide as 295's as I've seen with some members. Anyhow, I haven't encountered wheel hop since I did the swap. Some other members in here can confirm this as well. Also, I don't have any specter bushings or aftermarket cradle on the car. Although having them is not a bad thing either.

The rearend will be an issue if you like to drop the clutch and launch at the light too much. It'll also be an issue until we get a company to produce a bulletproof diff. With the way things are going, we should have one next year. I have 15k miles on my car. 5k of those miles are with a Magnacharger and so far no issues(crossing fingers).

I have a buddy with a slightly modded M3 and you should see his face when we get together. He's grin from cheek to cheek. As much as he has the red leather, radenergie 19" staggered wheels, brembo 4 wheel red calipers, and PSS9 coilovers, he can't get over the fact that I'm at 450rwhp and can still out handle him at the track.

Make the change if you don't mind having tons of power at an affordable price, getting a car that isn't as precise in fitment as your BMW is in and out, and if you don't mind laying the smacketh on almost anything on the road. :D

·
Registered
193 Posts
As a new V owner and former M owner I would recommend the change. The V is more refined than I expected and the V8 torque is hard to match. Once you hear the exhaust note when you punch the throttle, you'll be hooked!

·
Registered
296 Posts
m3sweet said:
I currently drive a modded M3... considering the CTS-V

I prefer American... 4 doors and a V8.

Should I make the switch?

What about Wheel Hop? The M3 is so planted!
What about reliability?

Some comments... thanks!
where are you from?
I have an 05 modded available in NY.
I am asking a lease transfer or buyout.
all mods go with the car.
only 7,800 miles on it.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,675 Posts
I've never driven a M3... but I can tell you, the V is a beast. It's American, like you said, sounds a HELL of a lot better, 4 doors, and trust me, it gets a LOT of looks. I was out with my g/f yesterday, and people were cranking their heads out their windows to look at my car. You won't get that with a M3, they're really common here. Go take a test drive, you'll end up with the V.

·
Registered
~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~
1,749 Posts
I was hotter than [email protected]#$ for a 2004 black/black M3 with NAV for theee longest time.... Until i saw one get run down by what i later found out to be a CTS-V!! On top of it all........ I also found that a few button presses on the "V's" NAV and your watching,,,, i mean the passenger is watching a DVD movie or music Video while cruizn'.... Try that on a M3 NAV screen without spending tons of $$$$$. :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
The V is an awesome car. It falls into the catagory of "Most Bang For The Buck"

I purchase almost all my cars from the above catagory.

Now that im getting older im getting away from this thinking.

While the V is awesome it lacks the refinement that the M has. The interior is cheapo. The leather is decent at best. The Nav and the Onstar and XM save the interior of the V.

Balls to the wall with comfort? The V is awesome. Is the V really much faster than the M? I dont think so..

If you want to compare 1/10's of a second than maybe the V is faster. But do you think your gonna notice the difference between 4.9 0-60 and 5.0 0-60? No. This is a gimic that car makers are using these days. Aside from those numbers with 10's of a second difference most of the reports from car makers are BS anyhow.

HP is also one of those factors, you can state that a car has all the HP you want before the drivetrain. Give me the numbers after. They dont want to do that because these cars lose almost 30-40% HP by the time it hits the pavement.

In conclusion, the M3 is a hot car and a much more refined ride. It also costs most but not by much. http://www.bmwusa.com/byo/byohome.htm?Acode=XAB60BMC111A0

Speed? Put me in an 06 M3 and ill hang with any 06 V.

Save your money, get the M5. :cool2:

Dont buy into the hype and another expensive car payment. Keep the M. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
M3Sweet,

I had an 03 M3 and loved it. I put a Ground Control coilover with double adjustable shocks, UUC shifter and adjustable bars among other things and had a blast on the track and the car was still decent as a daily commuter. The BMW is more refined inside, tighter, quieter and just feels like a better build (personal perception), however, I had a lot of small issue with the M3 that had it in the shop A LOT! (buttons, moldings,engine runability issues, gas tank issues, airbag sensors......) They also changed out the rod bearings although I had not had any issues up to that time.

I now own a 2004 CTS-V. I would consider the V the best all around bang for the buck out there. It has the horsepower out of the gate that the M3 never had, the big brakes the M3 needed and has the more spirited handling feel on the street the M3 wanted but just never was able to achieve. (the M3 always felt heavy and plowed like a big dog before the suspension change). I cannot say what the CTS-V will do on the track as I have yet to have the opportunity to try it out (hopefully in the spring). It is a totally different animal than the M3. The M3 shined on the track.. it was amazing, but it was not nearly as much fun to drive on a regular basis as the V is with its big horsepower. I have a UUC shifter that I intend to install this week and hopefully bring the V shifting more closely in line with the M.

In general, both cars are good cars, both cars have their own pro's and con's, it comes down to what pushes your buttons. The only way to know if the V is the car for you is to go drive one. I was hooked the first time I test drove one. The horepower, 4 doors, big brakes,..... The only thing I truely miss about the M is the double adjustable suspension (I was a ride development engineer for GM for 7 years so ride issues bother me more than most) but GC is gaining on making that a reality for the V. I still meet up with guys from the BMW clubs and each one of them that I let drive the V have emerged from ther car with a grin like the cat that ate the canary.

GO DRIVE ONE! Then decide for yourself, everyone is different but I see no reason why you couldnt be just as happy or more happy with the V as you are with the M... Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
187 Posts
propain said:
Balls to the wall with comfort? The V is awesome. Is the V really much faster than the M? I dont think so..

HP is also one of those factors, you can state that a car has all the HP you want before the drivetrain. Give me the numbers after. They dont want to do that because these cars lose almost 30-40% HP by the time it hits the pavement.
http://www.bmwusa.com/byo/byohome.htm?Acode=XAB60BMC111A0

Speed? Put me in an 06 M3 and ill hang with any 06 V.

Save your money, get the M5. :cool2:
Your joking, right??? Even with my car stock I was walking away from M3's like they were standing still. Here in LA, there are M3's everywhere, so I have plenty of M kills. Now, with just my intake and Stealth Tune and banging the gears, from 60 - 120, I put about 4 cars on an M3. Its ugly. Regardless of what the V's dyno, out on the road, there is no comparison in terms of speed. I think pretty much anyone whose actually raced an M3 will agree with me. Torque rules!

I do agree that saving money for an M5 would be a DAMN fine decision though. :worship:

And I definitely agree with everyone else...DRIVE ONE. I promised you'll be hooked too. Thats what happened with me. I work for Ford and had the opertunity to drive a CTS-V for about 20 minutes. Let me tell you the amount of shit this V got me into when I pulled into our employee lot with a GM product. It was worth the work hassles though...especially once I let my boss take a spin. ;)

Ladis

·
Registered
270 Posts
propain said:
Just curious as to what cars you are talking about that are loosing 30-40%?

320-340 RWHP on a bone stock V is what I've seen, which is a 15-20% loss(quite normal for a stick).
Is there a need to raise the BS flag??:lies:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts