Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
ATS Coupe
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/837855/bmw-recalling-18k-2-3-and-4-series-for-faulty-fuel-pump/

I'm posting this because of all of the "if GM expects me to buy another Cadillac, they better fix [insert various problems here]!!!" posts that seem to be overpopulating this forum. I peruse the bimmerfest forums from time to time and found this on their main page. How many BMW owners will trade in their propeller badges for good because of this recall? My guess is not many, seeing as how the N54 engine had similar problems way back in 2008 and BMW continues to be one of the top selling luxury car brands in the US. Why does it seem that people that buy/lease a Cadillac expect them to be perfect, or else??

·
Registered
2014 ATS 3.6 Premium RWD, 2016 Corvette Z06, 2018 GMC Sierra Denali 2500HD Diesel
2,663 Posts
Interesting. I was very close to taking delivery of a BMW-335i in 2008 when Cadillac was taking a long time to build my CTS. My two BMW concerns at that time were the reported problems with the high pressure pump on this DI engine and its insufficient cooling system. They were replacing pumps with a revised part at that time and the heating was supposed to be addressed with an additional oil cooler and a gauge recalibration which moved the overheat point higher. For many reasons I am very happy I was able to get the CTS instead back then and it was a very enjoyable car. I bought an ATS this time because I wasn't thrilled with the 3rd gen CTS look nor did I care for the short term use of an Aisin transmission which was a stopgap measure until GM's own 8 speed autos were ready.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,513 Posts
I personally love my ATS and wouldn't have another car like it in it's class right now. But I do understand some peoples beef with Caddy. Some people are on their 3rd motor for whatever reason. Tuned or not. I'm not going to have that problem but yet I feel for those people. At this point I don't even want my 3.6 tuned out of fear it could happen to mine. I know it would be a totally different reason but I love my car the way it is. I don't even like bringing my car in for service. I don't want it updated or anything. Runs great now. But all the other small gripes people have goes right over my head. Those things happen to all manufacturers. Engines as well but these people have to vent somewhere and not just to the wifey:rant2:

·
Registered
548 Posts
Why did you mention engine and not fuel pump recall? Recalling afuel pump isnt a big deal. Slap a revised one in a done. Like the Chevy Cobalts. 2.0 engines are getting replaced without a correct revision, so theyre failing again. That's a big deal

·
Registered
2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
223 Posts
I think the BMW owners on those forums gripe just as much as we do here. When you're passionate about your car, you want it to be perfect (and running). There are no shortage of problems on BMWs from what I've read on their forums and from what I've heard from friends who have owned them. The Lexus owners seldom complain about reliability problems, but they do often gripe about how their cars have no personality. It's hard to have it all...

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,393 Posts
I personally love my ATS and wouldn't have another car like it in it's class right now. But I do understand some peoples beef with Caddy. Some people are on their 3rd motor for whatever reason. Tuned or not. I'm not going to have that problem but yet I feel for those people. At this point I don't even want my 3.6 tuned out of fear it could happen to mine. I know it would be a totally different reason but I love my car the way it is. I don't even like bringing my car in for service. I don't want it updated or anything. Runs great now. But all the other small gripes people have goes right over my head. Those things happen to all manufacturers. Engines as well but these people have to vent somewhere and not just to the wifey:rant2:
Blowing things out of proportion, some people meaning one? Guessing the one you are talking about had one of them being a loaner and he wouldn't say if his car was tuned or not? They have built 80k ATS's?

I agree about tuning the car, I may do it in the future but it definitely brings additional risk of failure because Cadillac may not have designed for it and no one has a warranty for.

I think most of the recalls are blown out of proportion. As long as they can fix the recall's without any inconvenience to me during regular maintenance and it doesn't affect me in any way it doesn't really matter to me. As long as I am confident the problem is fixed permanently or is so minor or unlikely to happen it doesn't matter then I am fine with it.

When I hear that less than 1% of the ATS's may have a seat weld that may crack and I should bring my car in immediately for the affected recall it makes me laugh. Until recently it would never had been talked about or recalled and a tiny percentage of people would have had it fixed under warranty and possibly out of pocket (which I didn't care for). Now people are scheduling it with the Cadillac dealer the next day and figuring out how to arrange their schedules to get it in.

·
Registered
'14 ATS 2.0T Lux 6sp Manual
79 Posts
Fuel pump recall is not engine failure. It would be akin to running out of gas, a situation that probably happens due to driver error.

Cadillac needs to be better than BMW in reliability/complaints because they are gunning for the market leader. Every ATS owner should be able to say to a BMW/MB/Lexus owner - "No, I did not have any problems with the car whatsoever". Do that for 10 yrs (in addition to the 10+ yrs Cadillac has already been in re-invention mode) and that's how brand reputation is built.

I go on BMW forums and I don't see ANY real complaints about defects for the most recent car (2012+). I don't think they are perfect - I think perhaps a BMW dealership addresses the issues more thoroughly on the first service call, so there are not all these "Third time to the dealer to fix XXX issue!!! Grrrr." -type posts we have here. From reading the posts on this site, I actually think that it is not so much the dealer's fault, but more rooted in the technical support infrastructure GM has set up. A dealer can't fix obscure problems if it is not backed up by Cadillac/GM properly.

Anybody work for a Cadillac dealer and also have experience with working at a dealer for the German brands?

·
Registered
'14 ATS 4 Black Raven 3.6 Premium
1,158 Posts
http://http://www.bimmerfest.com/news/837855/bmw-recalling-18k-2-3-and-4-series-for-faulty-fuel-pump/

I'm posting this because of all of the "if GM expects me to buy another Cadillac, they better fix [insert various problems here]!!!" posts that seem to be overpopulating this forum. I peruse the bimmerfest forums from time to time and found this on their main page. How many BMW owners will trade in their propeller badges for good because of this recall? My guess is not many, seeing as how the N54 engine had similar problems way back in 2008 and BMW continues to be one of the top selling luxury car brands in the US. Why does it seem that people that buy/lease a Cadillac expect them to be perfect, or else??
The difference is, Cadillac would be like, "What fuel pump issue???"

·
Registered
2019 XT4 Premium AWD Build 7/22/18 / 2013 ATS4 3.6 Premium Build 12/21/2012
1,622 Posts
Here, have a cup of coffee and a doughnut and give me a good review on the survey.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
You saying I'm blowing things out of proportion? Because I mention something about people having motor problems isn't blowing it out of proportion. If you mean other people that's fine. ONCE AGAIN I AM NOT PUTTING THAT MOTOR DOWN AS I KEEP SAYING. I'm saying in general about all makes and models and that just happens to be one of the ATS's problems like it or not. We have all seen that. Other brands go through the same things. That is a fact.

And I said people on 3rd motors because I was told on the facebook ATS page there are a couple people in that boat. So I am talking about more than one so no out of proportion there. That is more than 1 person and I don't know how many. I don't have a Facebook page but came from someone I trust. Ever since I said way back that motors were blowing up left and right I get that from you. I wouldn't take it personal and at that time they were showing up like every other day for a bit and slowed down. That was never to upset anyone. And I understand that some people won't and don't have problems.

You know it seems im not even allowed to mention that this even happens and should be swept under the rug. People mention this all over and as soon as I do you come back at me with whatever. This time it's blowing out of proportion. You get on the Facebook page and tell me if it's true what I said about more than one person. If I'm wrong than great that would be the best thing ever. And who told me was wrong as well. Fine. But they are on there and I'm not. But I do trust what they have told me.
Blowing things out of proportion, some people meaning one? Guessing the one you are talking about had one of them being a loaner and he wouldn't say if his car was tuned or not? They have built 80k ATS's?

I agree about tuning the car, I may do it in the future but it definitely brings additional risk of failure because Cadillac may not have designed for it and no one has a warranty for.

I think most of the recalls are blown out of proportion. As long as they can fix the recall's without any inconvenience to me during regular maintenance and it doesn't affect me in any way it doesn't really matter to me. As long as I am confident the problem is fixed permanently or is so minor or unlikely to happen it doesn't matter then I am fine with it.

When I hear that less than 1% of the ATS's may have a seat weld that may crack and I should bring my car in immediately for the affected recall it makes me laugh. Until recently it would never had been talked about or recalled and a tiny percentage of people would have had it fixed under warranty and possibly out of pocket (which I didn't care for). Now people are scheduling it with the Cadillac dealer the next day and figuring out how to arrange their schedules to get it in.

·
Registered
2013 3.6 RWD Premium - 2006 BMW Z4M
1,393 Posts
You saying I'm blowing things out of proportion? Because I mention something about people having motor problems isn't blowing it out of proportion. If you mean other people that's fine. ONCE AGAIN I AM NOT PUTTING THAT MOTOR DOWN AS I KEEP SAYING. I'm saying in general about all makes and models and that just happens to be one of the ATS's problems like it or not. We have all seen that. Other brands go through the same things. That is a fact.

And I said people on 3rd motors because I was told on the facebook ATS page there are a couple people in that boat. So I am talking about more than one so no out of proportion there. That is more than 1 person and I don't know how many. I don't have a Facebook page but came from someone I trust. Ever since I said way back that motors were blowing up left and right I get that from you. I wouldn't take it personal and at that time they were showing up like every other day for a bit and slowed down. That was never to upset anyone. And I understand that some people won't and don't have problems.

You know it seems im not even allowed to mention that this even happens and should be swept under the rug. People mention this all over and as soon as I do you come back at me with whatever. This time it's blowing out of proportion. You get on the Facebook page and tell me if it's true what I said about more than one person. If I'm wrong than great that would be the best thing ever. And who told me was wrong as well. Fine. But they are on there and I'm not. But I do trust what they have told me.

I think you are blowing my post out of proportion also. Please post some details or don't doesn't really matter either way.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
No you said I blew it out of proportion. I am not going to get into details because there is no need to get into it again about this crap don't really care. Look on the blown motor list thread there should be someone else talking about multiple motors they have had put in recent.You want details see if there is any on facebook. I don't have a Facebook account. All I was doing making a comparison on other manufactures having problems just like the ats. And now I need facts again to support what people already know just like last time. Oh believe me I won't mention this shit again before this becomes an old fashion linching over the web:yup:.
I think you are blowing my post out of proportion also. Please post some details or don't doesn't really matter either way.

·
Registered
NONE
58 Posts

From my perspective it's an image thing. Whether deserved or not, BMW's are viewed by most of society as a legitimate luxury good. Cadillac is not quite there.

When I was car shopping, prior to getting my ATS, I had my heart set on a used M3 or a slightly used 335i. My wife was excited, I was excited, it felt like, after many years of hard school and hard work, we had finally "arrived." Once I started looking into the cost of maintaining a used BMW it turns out I hadn't quite arrived yet and couldn't justify the price of a BMW+aftermarket warranty which I couldn't live without due to the repair costs.

So I effectively settled on a new ATS mostly because it hit the right balance of price/luxury (price meaning purchase+repairs+maintenance) coupled with a truly amazing driving experience which was actually better than the BMW's in my opinion. I figured I was sacrificing image and what I really "wanted" for something that was just about as good only more reliable and cheaper to own in the long run if I kept the car past warranty/free maintenance period. It is extremely disappointing to have "settled" on a car for practical purposes only to find that the quality is not there.

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
All I know is that I saw a 5 series bmw and when I looked at the two tail pipe tips I realized, hey, there's two tips but only one goes into a muffler. The other is just welded on in place to make it look not like a mazda 2.

>=)

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Well I'm with you on the BMW cost of repairs. I started doing my own because of that. But I do not regret buying my ATS at all. It was a good buy. Better it is a great buy for me. I will never keep a BMW out of warranty again.
From my perspective it's an image thing. Whether deserved or not, BMW's are viewed by most of society as a legitimate luxury good. Cadillac is not quite there.

When I was car shopping, prior to getting my ATS, I had my heart set on a used M3 or a slightly used 335i. My wife was excited, I was excited, it felt like, after many years of hard school and hard work, we had finally "arrived." Once I started looking into the cost of maintaining a used BMW it turns out I hadn't quite arrived yet and couldn't justify the price of a BMW+aftermarket warranty which I couldn't live without due to the repair costs.

So I effectively settled on a new ATS mostly because it hit the right balance of price/luxury (price meaning purchase+repairs+maintenance) coupled with a truly amazing driving experience which was actually better than the BMW's in my opinion. I figured I was sacrificing image and what I really "wanted" for something that was just about as good only more reliable and cheaper to own in the long run if I kept the car past warranty/free maintenance period. It is extremely disappointing to have "settled" on a car for practical purposes only to find that the quality is not there.
----------

Whoa I didn't know that.
All I know is that I saw a 5 series bmw and when I looked at the two tail pipe tips I realized, hey, there's two tips but only one goes into a muffler. The other is just welded on in place to make it look not like a mazda 2.

>=)

·
Registered
1992 DeVille
2,339 Posts
duneless said:
Well I'm with you on the BMW cost of repairs. I started doing my own because of that. But I do not regret buying my ATS at all. It was a good buy. Better it is a great buy for me. I will never keep a BMW out of warranty again. ---------- Whoa I didn't know that.
saw it on a new one and couldn't believe it

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
I had no Idea. I will check that out. And why they would do that is makes no sense to me. I had a 7 that you couldn't see the exhaust tip. Kind of hidden but to add one to look better?
saw it on a new one and couldn't believe it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts