Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend has had a '08 525i for a few months now, I've driven it quite a few times and have never really noticed the particular "ride" of the car, besides the basic tight suspension, brakes, overall handling. After purchasing my Deville a few weeks ago and driving it for a bit, today I got back into the ol beemer and drove it for the first time since buying the 'caddy.

I just kept thinking, "This is what is considered a "luxury" ride??"...

I realize my car isn't the newest hot rod on the street, but nevertheless the ride quality and comfort is far superior to the BMW... I never really realized the difference in ride quality of the two until now (formerly owning an escalade I just never thought an "apples-to-apples" comparison could be done).. Don't get me wrong the 525 is a beautiful car, (been in the shop 4 times already for major engine work BTW) but I couldn't help to feel as thou I just sitting in a tiny Civic or something of the sorts... I'm definately happy with my purchase!

Oh and By the way, why doesn't our forum get a neat little pic like the late-model forums next to the topic??? I feel a bit marginalized... :confused: =) i know this forum deals with a bunch of different models but im sure someone could photoshop a smorgasbord of ol' caddy's so we get some decent representation around here!! hehe

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
Oh and By the way, why doesn't our forum get a neat little pic like the late-model forums next to the topic??? I feel a bit marginalized... :confused: =) i know this forum deals with a bunch of different models but im sure someone could photoshop a smorgasbord of ol' caddy's so we get some decent representation around here!! hehe
Our Deville forum covers at least four different body styles (two different types of C-body, two of K-body), so it would be a little difficult to have them smashed all together and still be distinguishable. The space for the picture is not very large. :helpless:

·
Registered
'06 CTS
81 Posts
I definitely hear you on the ride quality... My dad has a 540i (granted, it's about 10 years old) and it's far inferior to my Caddy in terms of luxury ride and overall feel. Bimmers are definitely sport luxury, as his car is still pretty classy and can get about 5 car lengths on me in the 1/4. But then again, an M5 would have a hard time keeping up with a CTS-V.

To relate it back to DeVilles, my brother has one that's the same model year as Dad's 540i. And that DeVille, imo, is the definition of luxury :)

·
Registered
1990 350 Brougham (The cruiser), 1988 Mark VII LSC (The DD)
5,545 Posts
Our Deville forum covers at least four different body styles (two different types of C-body, two of K-body), so it would be a little difficult to have them smashed all together and still be distinguishable. The space for the picture is not very large. :helpless:
Not to mention all the changes they made halfway through each body style/generation that greatly change the look of the car.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
Comparing a BMW 5 series to a DeVille(base) is sort of like comparing a Bowflex bench to a plush LazyBoy recliner: two entirely different cats built for two entirely different driving experiences.

Take the Beemer and the Deville, put them side by side on a big road track, and which will make it to the finish line first - by a big margin ???

Sort of depends on your requirements for "Luxury". I consider my STS as a fun, comfortable, moderately fast sports sedan. I would consider nearly any Ferrari as luxury. In that case, ride has nothing to do with the criteria.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Comparing a BMW 5 series to a DeVille(base) is sort of like comparing a Bowflex bench to a plush LazyBoy recliner: two entirely different cats built for two entirely different driving experiences.

Take the Beemer and the Deville, put them side by side on a big road track, and which will make it to the finish line first - by a big margin ???

Sort of depends on your requirements for "Luxury". I consider my STS as a fun, comfortable, moderately fast sports sedan. I would consider nearly any Ferrari as luxury. In that case, ride has nothing to do with the criteria.
Would depend on driver. :histeric:

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I definitely hear you on the ride quality... My dad has a 540i (granted, it's about 10 years old) and it's far inferior to my Caddy in terms of luxury ride and overall feel. Bimmers are definitely sport luxury, as his car is still pretty classy and can get about 5 car lengths on me in the 1/4. But then again, an M5 would have a hard time keeping up with a CTS-V.

To relate it back to DeVilles, my brother has one that's the same model year as Dad's 540i. And that DeVille, imo, is the definition of luxury :)
Not the new ones my friend...

·
Registered
'06 CTS
81 Posts
Not the new ones my friend...
If you mean the V would take the M5, I wouldn't necessarily contest that... 6.2L Supercharged V8 vs. a 5.0L V10, doesn't seem like much of a fight. But I never underestimate German engineering.

Now I'm quite curious to see these up against each other.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
OK, We'll put Mario Andretti in the Beemer and his son Michael in the base DeVille.

Michael in the road pig wouldn't stand a prayer.

Cadillac DeVilles are built to be calm, sedate road cruisers. Most BMW's are not. To make the original premise of "luxury" even more absurd, why not stack a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud against the Deville against the Beemer. Who's gonna finish the course in first (Danica Patrick is driving the Rolls........)?

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, We'll put Mario Andretti in the Beemer and his son Michael in the base DeVille.

Michael in the road pig wouldn't stand a prayer.

Cadillac DeVilles are built to be calm, sedate road cruisers. Most BMW's are not. To make the original premise of "luxury" even more absurd, why not stack a Rolls Royce Silver Cloud against the Deville against the Beemer. Who's gonna finish the course in first (Danica Patrick is driving the Rolls........)?
It was a JOKE man.. lighten up. You come across as quite the rigid a s s hole. I get all of your ridiculous analogies... I suppose the essence of my original post was simply to pay the ol caddy a compliment when stacked up against a newer, pricier, more advanced "luxury"-class European vehicle.

·
Registered
1992 Sedan Deville, 1984 Lincoln Town Car
759 Posts
It was a JOKE man.. lighten up. You come across as quite the rigid a s s hole. I get all of your ridiculous analogies... I suppose the essence of my original post was simply to pay the ol caddy a compliment when stacked up against a newer, pricier, more advanced "luxury"-class European vehicle.
Hey, Dumbo breath, chill! Sub is a class act witha capital C. L. That was his little joke son. Guess you missed it. :thepan:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts