Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get everyone's opinion on this. I bought my cts-v and it already had the BMR anti-wheel hop kit installed.

From others experience, should I have the dealer install the GM bushings and remove the BMR setup or just leave the BMR setup on?

Reason why I am asking this is I constantly hear a clunking or banging going over medium to larger bumps and potholes. Here in the Northeast the roads aren't that smooth and the noise is somewhat an annoyance.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I've got the BMR AWK installed and I've been fairly satisfied with it. It's not a fix, but at least it makes the hopping something I can live with. Speicifically because I bought and installed the BMR, I've been very observant of other's reviews of the GM bushings and from what I've seen, their results appear to be about the same as the BMR. I'd recommend staying with the BMR set up.

As for your banging, we all know what that's about. There are four huge cradle bolts under there that hold the kit in place. The torque specs for these bolts are astronomically high, and believe me, if you don't crank them down to that spec, you get obnoxious banging noises. Someone will probably chime in with the correct torque specs (or I'm sure they're in the FAQ). Either way, do yourself a favor and crank them down. Your banging will go away for sure and the hopping will improve accordingly.

BTW: I'd recommend a 3/4"-drive breaker bar / torque wrench with the correct size sockets (mm) to do this job without killing yourself.

good luck D-A-N

·
FAQ is your Friend
CTS-V
3,987 Posts
If I were you, I would pull off the Bar, take it to the dealer and have them put on the bushings... Drive around for a while. If you like it the way it is, then dont change a thing. If it still hops a bit much for you, then put the BMR back on. THey can be used togther, but the GM fix is a Warranty fix and is "approved" by GM (meaning that they wont void your rear end warranty if they see them ont he car which the CAN- I say CAN- do with the BMR)

Depends on your dealer though.

Reed

·
Registered
none
864 Posts
The BMR has been on my V for about 9 months now. My fist mod, along with the pinion support.
It seemed to work as they claim(75% less hop).. After putting on the GSD3's the hop is virtually gone. I leave rubber when ever where ever, with no hop what so ever. I think I found a great set up for those who like to drive aggressively.
I also removed the BMR cross bar. It didn't effect the wheel hop either way. Just make sure those bolts are extremely tight also.
The bar was removed because over big bumps, and there are plenty in the NYC area it would bang my exhaust and annoy me.
Hope this helps.
I agree with dan, if you already have the BMR , leave it. The bushings are the same and do the same thing. Most of the Hop is from the hard sidewalls on the runflats.
Infact the BMR bushings are metal, aluminum I believe. That seems stronger than plastic to me.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The BMR is a more rigid setup, and the bushings are actually stiffer than the nylon bushing inserts, harder top and bottom. The one we had brought in, after looking it over, tech recommendation to owner was to leave the BMR kit on the vehicle.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
msheri01 said:
The BMR is a more rigid setup, and the bushings are actually stiffer than the nylon bushing inserts, harder top and bottom. The one we had brought in, after looking it over, tech recommendation to owner was to leave the BMR kit on the vehicle.
The issue is noise. The BMR peices ( that I pulled) are aluminum and this makes a mechanical connection to the body. The plastic parts (I have specter) are at least a bit of an insulator and the lessen the transmission of noise.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
105 Posts
so does the BMR kit come with replacement bushings just like the TSB ? so there is no reason to get the TSB if I plan to get the BMR anti-wheel hop kit, or should I do both ?

Wheel-Hop Sux !!! :bonkers:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
I now have the GM "fix" and can't wait to get my kit back on, the GM bushings are a huge inprovement over the factory setup, so I'm anxious to see if both together will finally be that 100% fix that has been so elusive.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I agree, I love the TSB bushings.

The only drawback to them is that I notice the V can't keep its wheels planted on bumpy roads as it did before.

Ride quality is about the same.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
SilverV said:
so does the BMR kit come with replacement bushings just like the TSB ? so there is no reason to get the TSB if I plan to get the BMR anti-wheel hop kit, or should I do both ?

Wheel-Hop Sux !!! :bonkers:

Wait a minute.... the BMR AWK puts aluminum rings in the same place GM puts the plastic bushings, you cant have both! You can however still use the cross bar if it actually does anything.

·
Registered
04 CTS-V
105 Posts
lasstss said:
Wait a minute.... the BMR AWK puts aluminum rings in the same place GM puts the plastic bushings, you cant have both! You can however still use the cross bar if it actually does anything.
That is what I was thinking, why bother with the TSB if you plan to do the BMR kit, I would think by looking at the design the BMR setup will do more good against wheel hop than the factory TSB, and if you need warranty work just remove it before bringing it in....

·
Registered
527 Posts
The customer did not care about noise, just stability on rear end. I may have misunderstood the question. If you have not done the BMR kit, try the bushings first. If you have the BMR kit and do not mind the noise, IMO keep what you have. I have not seen any with the Kars kit, so cannot say one way or the other. The brace bar does provide additional rigidity on the rear.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
willsctsv said:
Doug, did you notice any improvement in wheel hop after you switched the tires?
On the whole yes.

BUT, when the BFGs are sticky, I will get some skipping, but not a hop. They do not spin anywhere nearly as easy as the F1s, hence the destruction of the orig. diff.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts