Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious if anyone knows a way that we can integrate cell phone Bluetooth capability with the radio speakers and using the microphone that is already in the car for OnStar?

Before someone suggest one of the following two options instead of my suggestion above, here is why they wont work:

BUY THE AFTERMARKET: I'm paying $45,000 for this car that is awesome in all respects. The last thing I want to do is drill a hole in the interior to jam in a speaker, microphone, button assembly that surely will not match the rest of the interior materials. Furthermore, this aftermarket device has no integration with the entertainment system.

USE THE PHONE ALREADY IN ONSTAR: I dont use Verizone nor should I have to switch and pay additional cell phone fee's for an extra line. Also, I have no desire to forward my cell to the car everytime I get in and unforward it every time I get out. That's crazy.

Soooo.... This car has speakers. It has a microphone. There has to be a way to sabotage both of these assets to rig Bluetooth capability. I dont care if anything shows up on the navigation screen or not (call information) but I do want call sound to come from the speakers, and to be able to use the OnStar mic so that I dont have to "clip" or "chop in" some aftermarket device.

I'd be willing to invest a small bounty to anyone who can solve this issue.

·
Registered
2008 CTS DI
30 Posts
I just picked mine up on Saturday and asked a similar question, I was told to expect a softwear integration later in the model year. It is going to be a GM wide deal, with very little needed for integration. That is what i was told.....as for its accuracy who knows.

·
Banned
Cadillac
1,884 Posts
I just picked mine up on Saturday and asked a similar question, I was told to expect a softwear integration later in the model year. It is going to be a GM wide deal, with very little needed for integration. That is what i was told.....as for its accuracy who knows.
This is correct!
However you could install this system it integrates w/sound system......
http://www.vizualogic.com/cig_blue.html

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
This is correct!
However you could install this system it integrates w/sound system......
http://www.vizualogic.com/cig_blue.html
Hold on, you guys have to clear this up for me because the way I am reading this, it makes no sense. Are you implying that later in this model year, a 'software update' of some sort will activate bluetooth phone integration in the car? How can that be? So you/the dealer/salesman are implying that there is already bluetooth in the car but it is dormant/inactive? Well, according to the CTS engineers on their blog, they said bluetooth integration would be a dealer installed option via a 'bluetooth pack' that integrates with the car's audio system. Therefore, I would think the engineers of this vehicle would know if there already was bluetooth in it. So, please clarify as I am confused on where this 'software update' comes into play and what it activates, thanks.

·
Registered
2008 CTS DI
30 Posts
I would love to clarify, however I cannot at this time, my salesman told me that later in the model year it would be avaliable to "update" wether he meant as a software or hardware i dont know. I will be paying him a visit for a detail and tint tomorrow if i can get any more info i will most certianly post it.

·
Registered
2008 Cadillac CTS DI
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'll be interesting if someone is able to get the true story here and find out how we fix this obvious deficiency in an otherwise great car.

·
Registered
2009 CTS Black\Ebony PDQ\FE3
164 Posts
I would love to clarify, however I cannot at this time, my salesman told me that later in the model year it would be avaliable to "update" wether he meant as a software or hardware i dont know. I will be paying him a visit for a detail and tint tomorrow if i can get any more info i will most certianly post it.
Has anyone been able to clarify the bluetooth for the CTS. Is there going to be a software upgrade to activate existing hardware, GM added hardware or 3rd party as it is right now.

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
Has anyone been able to clarify the bluetooth for the CTS. Is there going to be a software upgrade to activate existing hardware, GM added hardware or 3rd party as it is right now.
So far there definitly will be the latter 2 (GM added @ the dealer, and 3rd party) but it seems there isn't any info on the software upgrade. All I can say is, being the technical guy I am with technologies such as BT, I wouldn't hold my breath on the first option (SW upgrade); but hey, who knows, I'd look forward to that.

·
Registered
2008 CTS
16 Posts
If it's really GM wide I'd bet they have a BT hardware product coming that will plug onto the OnStar Bus -Radio Connection. This might require a software upgrade as well.

·
Registered
Cadillac
6 Posts
There are three chances that there will be an "upgrade" for the 2008 CTS: Slim, None and Fat.

Rest assured that if it could have been done for '08, it would have been done, or available by now.

This was either a catastrophic omission or oversight by GM, or an intentional ploy to get you into an OnStar subscription.

The inexactitude of "I think it will be available..." and "..someone told the salesman..." are all indicative of one thing, and one thing only: If you want BT in the '08 CTS, it will only be of the jury-rigged aftermarket variety.

Just a shame, GM. A shame.

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
I disagree with all three of your 'options.' A matter of fact, the slim one may be your best shot but according to the CTS engineers themselves, on the official CTS blog, there will be a bluetooth dealer installed pack available for the 08 CTS, its just not available right now.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
There will be no "software only" Bluetooth upgrade- if the hardware was there, it would be on already. The only way to add Bluetooth to a 2008 CTS will be an aftermarket system or a dealer installed kit from Cadillac, which will be built by an outside company anyway (similar to the iConnect iPod module for the previous gen CTS, manufactured by SmartPark).

As I've mentioned in other threads, the reason for lack of Bluetooth on the CTS, Escalade and SRX is compatibility issues. If they can't guarantee it working perfectly for everyone, they're better off omitting it completely. Bluetooth on the STS has been a nightmare, as many new phones don't integrate or work right with the system, and you now have created angry customers who now percieve Cadillac quality as being lower.

In today's market, "Percieved Quality" is everything. A J.D. Power survery doesn't ask you to rate a car on "features you wish it had", but it DOES ask you to rate "How well does the car operate?" The owner of a non-BT equipped STS might score the car perfect, while an owner happy with the car but frustrated with his phone not syncing might score the car as "Problematic", "Unreliable" or other negative descriptors. If you promise a feature, it had better be PERFECT.

So- put yourself in Cadillac's shoes: They're in the middle of a resurgence, with new products getting great reviews from the press and owners. Why include a feature if they KNOW that 25-50% of the owners will never be happy with it. It's a whole lot better for Customer Satisfaction to wait until the system works properly before integrating it.

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
So- put yourself in Cadillac's shoes: They're in the middle of a resurgence, with new products getting great reviews from the press and owners. Why include a feature if they KNOW that 25-50% of the owners will never be happy with it. It's a whole lot better for Customer Satisfaction to wait until the system works properly before integrating it.
I still want it, and it should be there. Its easy to change out a cell phone.

Do you know if any of the aftermarket products for the CTS will be relatively "clean" to the interior appearance? It seems everything is there: a microphone, audio controls, etc.

-d

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
I still want it, and it should be there. Its easy to change out a cell phone.

-d
I hear you, and I'm not disagreeing- just presenting the other side. Try telling a customer that they need to get rid of their new, state of the art Blackberry and go back to their Razr because the Blackberry doesn't work with the BT software in their new car. I've been there, and it's a bad scene.

Do you know if any of the aftermarket products for the CTS will be relatively "clean" to the interior appearance? It seems everything is there: a microphone, audio controls, etc.
I've seen this system, and it's pretty clean.

www.jciblueconnect.com

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
I hear you, and I'm not disagreeing- just presenting the other side. Try telling a customer that they need to get rid of their new, state of the art Blackberry and go back to their Razr because the Blackberry doesn't work with the BT software in their new car. I've been there, and it's a bad scene.
Frankly, I don't care about the other side. Rather, I request that they look at their competition.

CTS has a unique position: They have all of the hardware integrated except of course the bt radio. They also have a hard drive with access to the DVD and USB ports. It is conceivable that a BT device be plugged in, and software integrate with the vehicle.

I don't know their internal software architecture contains the relevant software hooks, but its possible.

If phone compatability is something that can be addressed with configuration data, that could be introduced over on-star (think of the way xbox live updates the xbox), from a dealer, from the end-user (copy file to DVD or thumb drive).

I would love to hear what form their update will take.

-d

·
Registered
Cadillac
327 Posts
I have to say, I like the argument against putting it in (compatibility), I never thought of it that way. My cousin just bought the 2008 Acura TL and while he loved it... he now hates that it won't sync with a $700 phone (SE P990i). I also am one of those tech guys who would never downgrade my cell phone to get it to work with the car. So, that's the perfect example about why people should care why it's not there. BT has been a very problematic system but I think if companies were to jump to the next gen BT radios (2.0 EDR) they would get much better compatibility, but then in that case, Cadillac would rely on more phone mfgs to integrate BT2.0 but that's not happening on low end phones (which the mass market buys), so then again, you are back at square one...I like the idea of an addon pack as long as one can test it to see if it works before having the dealer put it in. That way, you aren't paying a $600 premium for a tech feature in a 'tech package' or something where you end up being able to not use it. This way, if you do pay the $600, it's for something you are sure you can use...although I then start to worry about how pervasive it is vs how seamless it should be (in installation).

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
All cadillac has to do is maintain a list of compatible phones on its web site and with the dealer brochures. The add-on cadillac tony points to above does just that.

-d

·
Registered
2008 CTS
16 Posts
Simple fact....over 70% of 2008 cars have BT or can have it as a factory option. That number would be higher but GM does not support it (other than the STS-where they have a very bad BT design- the true root of all of the STS's BT issues ).

It's time that GM stopped the excuses. Stopped dragging their feet to support a failed calling plan with OnStar. Stopped doing anything except giving customers what they want. If MB and Lexus and all of the others can figure it out, I'm sure the worlds largest automotive company can.

·
Registered
none
627 Posts
Simple fact....over 70% of 2008 cars have BT or can have it as a factory option.

If MB and Lexus and all of the others can figure it out, I'm sure the worlds largest automotive company can.
I don't know 'bout that, cause I see a lot of High Line Benz drivers, BMW drivers, Jag XJ drivers talking on cell phones while driving here in L.A., where it seems everyone talks on the phone while driving. It's not that I don't do it, but I have Bluetooth in my STS and in my pickup though its Alpine stereo. True, we need it...but even they don't have it.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts