Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V 4-door, 2016 ATS-V 2-door
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With about 7000 miles on my ATS-V, I've begun to notice that on start-up, I have smoke out of the exhaust.

My Wife drives the car about 25 miles a day to work and back and on each of the last two days, I've stood behind the car to get a close look. It's blue/white smoke but it does not smeall like oil at all, it smells like rich exhaust. She said this morning, when she fires the car up, then shifts to reverse, she can see the smoke in the rear view camera. That's a stinking heap of not good.:suspense:

If the engine were port injected, I'd be testing for leaking injectors. I lack the equipment to do that on a DI engine.

Anyone else here experiencing smoke out the exhaust on start-up?

·
Registered
09' CTS V
146 Posts
Mine does the normal white smoke/steam from condensation in the exhaust like every other car. It's steam though, not actual smoke. Do you have a video of it?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No this is white/blue smoke immediately after a cold start.

I also get steam from water vapor in the exhaust turning to steam but that comes later.

----------

Thank you so much for posting that. I did some further research and found that TSB has been updated and was rereleased last October. The content was, for the most part, the same and it describes my issue almost perfectly.

Apparently, what I see is not characteristic of any problem.

Again, thanks "sraesmit".

·
Registered
2018 CT6E, old: 2014 XTS Vsport, 2005 CTS-V, 2004 CTS-V.
2,732 Posts
Every cold start? With most engines on a short trip in colder temps, when we start the next day it'll puff. But not all the time.

·
Registered
2020 CT6 -V
146 Posts
No this is white/blue smoke immediately after a cold start.

I also get steam from water vapor in the exhaust turning to steam but that comes later.

----------

Thank you so much for posting that. I did some further research and found that TSB has been updated and was rereleased last October. The content was, for the most part, the same and it describes my issue almost perfectly.

Apparently, what I see is not characteristic of any problem.

Again, thanks "sraesmit".
Hi Hib

The bulletin states that the transmission fluid may foam during high speed operation and spill out onto the exhaust system resulting in white smoke coming from under the car. You state that the smoke occurs on start-up and comes out of the exhaust. Did I miss something in the TSB? To me it doesn't appear to match your problem.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Hib

The bulletin states that the transmission fluid may foam during high speed operation and spill out onto the exhaust system resulting in white smoke coming from under the car. You state that the smoke occurs on start-up and comes out of the exhaust. Did I miss something in the TSB? To me it doesn't appear to match your problem.
I don't think we are both talking about the same bulletin.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V Coupe (Catti-V)
1,759 Posts
I've heard of this before with this car but was curious what everyone else is experiencing. When I start my car each morning, especially if its been more then a day, my car initially blows blue tinted smake for about 15-20 seconds. I know thats oil but curious why so much with this car and is this something I should be concerned about

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
What is your measured oil consumption = weekly dipstick checks ?

Oil
smoke for a few seconds after cold start is usually valve stem seals or, in your case, a possible PCV oil vapor overload. Do you regularly "exercise' the engine ? - If so the smoke should not be stuck rings.

Get the car up to 75 - 80 in D or high gear. Downshift one gear and let the engine slow the car down to <20 mph. Step on it again. Smoke? Rings.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
What is your measured oil consumption = weekly dipstick checks ?

Oil
smoke for a few seconds after cold start is usually valve stem seals or, in your case, a possible PCV oil vapor overload. Do you regularly "exercise' the engine ? - If so the smoke should not be stuck rings.

Get the car up to 75 - 80 in D or high gear. Downshift one gear and let the engine slow the car down to <20 mph. Step on it again. Smoke? Rings.
She gets exercised, mon-fri driven at 80mph for 2hr each day. No loss of oil, at least not noticeable.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,064 Posts
Don't sweat it. Drive the car.

·
Registered
None
51 Posts
The title of this thread scared me. I hadn't even read it yet and was thinking that's why we havent tuned it yet, don't wanna lose that warranty.

·
Registered
511 Posts
A bit of blue smoke at startup is often valve seals/guides or dripping turbo shaft seals, especially if it's worse after the car sits a couple of days as that gives more time for more oil to drip. Most likely valve guides though, as dripping valve guides put oil through the combustion chambers and will smoke first and clean up quickly. Dripping turbo seals will drip into the exhaust where it may take a little longer to get hot enough to make it smoke, and then it will persist a little longer before it clears up.

Ring issues usually show blue smoke along with excess oil consumption. Valve guides and turbo seals are usually very small drips and you won't notice excess oil consumption. The test mentioned above for rings is good; wind the engine up in RPM, and then let off and coast as long as possible in gear... if it puffs blue smoke as soon as you get back in the throttle that could indicate rings or possibly excessively worn intake valve seals/guides.

IIRC Hib has had the turbos and heads replaced on his cars for the same reason. I vaguely remember reading somewhere there was a revision to the valve guides for the 2017+ cars compared to the 2016s-- but I can't find that info at the moment.

·
Registered
2017 ATS-V 6MT CWT Sedan, Tuned 2016 Explorer TT
666 Posts
I second the turbo seals leaking. The car typically starts smoking a few seconds after startup, not immediately.
This issue is the number one reason I've kept the car stock, to see how it shakes out. I have not yet experienced it, but have seen numerous videos of this "phenomena".

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
I second the turbo seals leaking. The car typically starts smoking a few seconds after startup, not immediately.
This issue is the number one reason I've kept the car stock, to see how it shakes out. I have not yet experienced it, but have seen numerous videos of this "phenomena".
Are turbo seals internal to the unit, otherwise meaning the fix is replacing turbos?

Would there be any other symptom because I hold solid boost.

·
Registered
2016 ATS-V
170 Posts
I would do or take the car somewhere and perform a leakdown test to verify if you have a problem and if you do, you'll be able to determine where the problem is coming from.

Good luck
Almtyscuzzy

Reactions: FL103Dave
1 - 20 of 315 Posts