Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
None
4 Posts
I have a 1998 Cadillac STS and I blew out my passenger side rear tire yesterday. The tread came off of the tire and must have whipped around until I (immediately) pulled over. While it whipped around a large chunk of the tread, it tore the bumper up and partly off, and SHREDDED the wires and electrical plugs back behind the tire that lead into the trunk. The only thing I could think of was to go to a junk yard and cut old wires and plugs from a junker and try to "splice" them into the approximately 40 wire cluster. I found a SLS and thought the wires would be the same. Tried to install the wires I cut and it didn't work. The fuel pump is not getting power. The car isn't running and I'm sure its because the fuel pump wires were shredded. The "new" bunch of wires I bought aren't exactly right. It has an extra plug and extra wires. I figured I could just use what wires and plugs I needed and leave the rest but the MAJOR problem is that there are 4 black wires all indentical that need to be spliced and I have no idea how to differentiate between them to correctly pair them. Does anyone have any ideas or questions? Absolutely bizarre.

·
Super Moderator
2014 ELR
9,734 Posts
Re: Blown tire totals 1998 Cadillac STS?

How about calling your insurance company? You pay them every month, may as well put that money to use.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,278 Posts
the MAJOR problem is that there are 4 black wires all indentical that need to be spliced and I have no idea how to differentiate between them to correctly pair them. Does anyone have any ideas or questions? Absolutely bizarre.
==================================

solid BLACK wires are usually ground wires -

depending on the year of the SLS donor car -
it may or may not have the F45 - active suspension -

that means you might have "left over" wires on the car -
that don't match up with the donor wire loom -

-------------------

also check ALL the fuses -
both under the hood and under the back seat -

----------

How about calling your insurance company? You pay them every month, may as well put that money to use.
======================
down here we have two types of insurance -

LIABILITY insurance is REQUIRED on all cars -
it covers damage your car causes -

COMPREHENSIVE insurance is optional -
and covers damage done to your car -

most owners of older cars only have liability insurance -

·
Registered
None
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The fuel pump fuse was blown under the seat. I replaced it and it still didn't work, but the fuse did not blow again. I'm going to call around until I can find the EXACT 1998 Cadillac STS Seville wires. I really appreciate the responses and advice. Its PLPD insurance so a claim isn't an option. Just my daily driver that I would like to not have to take to the junkyard :(

1 - 4 of 4 Posts