Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
98 Concours 212,000 orginal motor,trans
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've an 98 Concours 216000 on it. Just blew a heater core. I dont think its something that I wanna tackle and Im wondering if i could bypass the heater core without any major effects to the cooling system?

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
You can, very easily. It's just a bit difficult to get to, especially since in '98 they used spring clamps by the heater core. I think it was 97 or 98 when they switched to the spring clamps on the hoses. I hate those clamps sometimes....

·
Registered
98 Concours 212,000 orginal motor,trans
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no spring clamps for me 97 production year for 98 :). Just did the crossover gaskets last year and changed every heater hose so I have all screw clamps. I just wasnt sure if it would somehow change the dynamics of the cooling system. I'll get right on it!

·
Registered
1981 Eldorado 1994 Seville STS
266 Posts
Fristim, I have a !994 STS and I also blew a heater core awhile back. Didn't have much of a choice at the time so I had the heater core bypassed so I could get home. I left it like that for awhile but found that it didn't cool as well as it did. The hose they byapssed the heater core with had a slight crimp in it which I straightened out with a different hose connector. The car cooled but not like it did with the heater core so I changed the heater core. It looks near impossible on my STS but it was really quite easy, the hardest part was the clamps near the firewall and the clip which holds the heater door linkage together, and they were really quite easy.

I know it's not the same car, but based on my experience I would just go ahead and chnage the heater core and get it over with. Without it you won't be able to defrost the windshield and you do that more than you think, even in warmer weather.

Good luck with you car.....

·
Registered
1994 deville, 1983 fleetwood
39 Posts
i just replaced my blown heater core like a week ago and it took me three hours pretty simple replacemnt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts