Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Deville with about 110k miles on it. It's been a pretty dependable car, up to now. Anyway I have a few questions to ask before I make my decision.
1, is it worth going through this major expense or should I salvage the car. 2, Has anyone heard of, Blue Devil, a liquid head gasket sealant and if anybody in the forum have tried it?
Did it work for them and for how long?
Any response would be appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
1999 DeVille, 2002 DeVille
4,175 Posts
Re: blown head casket in a 1999 Deville

Liquid fix is a no go. Don't bother, it's garbage. The gasket isn't the actual failed part, it's the head and block separating. The ONLY PROPER FIX is to pull the motor and stud it.

As far as fixing it, that's up for debate. If it's in amazing condition otherwise and has low mileage, maybe. If it's got considerable miles and it's anything special in terms of condition, throw it out. I used to have a 1999 DeVille. Blew its H/G and I junked it and bought a different car for less than it would have cost me to fix it.

----------

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks for the feed back and so quickly. You pretty much echoed my sentiments.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,293 Posts

is it worth going through this major expense
only you an answer that - but consider this -

what condition is the body/paint in -
absolutely no rust - no dents - shiny paint -
very presentable - still looks like a Cadillac -

what condition is the interior in -
leather is good condition - not badly cracked or worn -
carpet still in descent condition -

trans in good condition -
no code P0741 -

suspension parts -
struts and shocks still working -
ELC still working properly -
steering components still tight -

no clunks/rattles while driving -

ALL electronics work -

do you still like driving the car -
would you still drive it 5 years from now -

Has anyone heard of, Blue Devil,
YES - we have ALL heard of it -
NO - it doesn't work - it CAN'T work -
it is a TOTAL and COMPLETE waste of money -
in fact - it can cause additional problems -

there is only ONE WAY to actually FIX the problem -
repair the 20 head bolt holes using inserts or studs -
and replace the gaskets -

depending on your location -
there are several shops who SPECIALIZE in fixing the Northstar motor -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,551 Posts

Thanks for the feed back and so quickly. You pretty much echoed my sentiments.
Because we're advising on a Northstar engine, I would recommend going to the Engines; Northstar forum and studying the several sticky threads on engine problems, cooling systems, gauges and fan operation. That will give you some basic background on why the previous advice is given and how ............. Depending on your location (Please update your profile to show car and approximate location) there are CF members and shops that do excellent Northstar work for very decent prices. You might be able to get your engine top overhauled and studded for less than $2500.

One reason we do not recommend the liquid sealant BandAids is that, in most cases, the Northstar head gasket failure problem is actually a moving target: Due to one or more factors the head bolts lose clamping pressure, allowing the gasket fabric to deteriorate and pass coolant from the open deck design to the cylinder(s). Head bolt loss of "tightness", once begun, is progressive and ongoing, so sealing the problem is sort of like trying to seal the SanAndreas fault with concrete: It might hold for some period of time but it WILL fail again.

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
I repaired mine at around your mileage. Good memories with the car, other parts being flawless, so I went ahead.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
Call me crazy but I rebuilt my 01 Deville engine at 152K miles. Car was in great shape, trans had P 0741 & P 1860 codes but that was also fixed at the time. It now runs like new, no codes and is still the best riding car I've ever owed.

·
Registered
2000 DTS 194,000 miles, 2000 DHS 203,000 miles
893 Posts
I had 170,000 on my 2000 DTS and didn't do anything but the head gaskets, studs and a total reseal. 192,000 on it now and still runs like new.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
Have only 400 miles on my rebuild so far but runs great. Just did the brakes today and now she's nice and smooth taking off and slowing down. Been looking on Craigslist for something in good shape with blown HG's to flip. There are all kinds of them around here but most everyone wants too much money for them. Like $1500 for a 2001 DTS, 167K miles with blown HG's. With a good engine and in excellent condition it's worth $2600 on KBB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts