Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1998 ESC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, through the past couple months I’ve been having some trouble with my blower motor. First, the motor will run at all times, even when the car is shut all the way off. The motor will continue running until the battery is drained. I believe this sounds like a relay problem. Is there a separate relay for the blower motor or is it built in to the motor. Second, when I do have it plugged in, I only have one fan speed. This I believe is a resistor problem. I recently purchased a new blower motor resistor module. However I have been unable to locate where the resistor module is. It’s the middle of a cold central Illinois winter and I’d prefer to not keep searching in the cold. Any advice as to where the resistor module is located or if you believe the problem to be elsewhere is very much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,682 Posts
Depends on what year you have. From '95 on, the controller is IN the motor.
Prior years the controller is on the plenum, against the firewall.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,595 Posts
Judging by the OP's name, I suspect he has an '01. In that case, return the module and buy a new blower. That should solve your problems.

·
1998 ESC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha my apologies. I own a 1998 eldorado esc. Ok I thought it might be in the motor but there are advertised resistors and resistor module on advanced auto and rock auto for this model and year so I figured it would be there.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,682 Posts
Not sure how you did a continuity test, but the motors probably fine. It's the controller that's shorted.
I don't think they're sold separately.

·
1998 ESC
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After running several more continuity tests I have come to the same conclusion. I am picking up a new blower motor this afternoon and I’ll see if it fixes the problem. If not I may just Hotwire the old motor and run a toggle switch into the car. I really don’t want to start chasing wires haha

1 - 7 of 7 Posts