Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm standing in my brother's driveway with all the underhood AC blower motor screws removed, but can't seem to get enough room to wiggle the motor out. Short of starting to remove all components on the rear of the engine, is there a minimum number of items I need to remove?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
I was just checking tech tips on this subject...I have a 97 SLS and so far, the blower is good. I did find this link that discusses changing blowers for Devilles, which might be similar to Sevilles. It's not easy and sounds like the engine needs to be rotated a bit with a turnbuckle. Here's the link if you want to follow what has been written about it:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips/46611-97-deville-blower-motor.html
Good luck...if someone has specifics on Seville blower change-outs, I will keep it for future reference too.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
I changed mine a while back. What a pain in the a$$. Tight fit - I remember forcing new the blower motor straight down and then in without removing any additional parts. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
Here is section from 96 Factory Service Manual. I typed as printed. Scanner not connected at this time. Only thing missing below is figure 43 from book. hope this helps.

Blower Motor

--Remove and Disconnect--

1. Negative Battery cable.
2. Cowl cross-tower brace (Four 13 mm nuts).
3. Disconnect (4) electrical connectors from ignition control module.
4. Position cross car harness out of the way.
5. #5 and #7 plug wires. Position spark plug harness out of the way.
6. Solenoid purge valve. One 10 mm bolt, two vacuum connection, and 1 electrical connector.
7. Inertial plate from blower motor. Three 8 mm screws
! IMPORTANT!
Re-install two screws with washers to prevent the motor and housing from separating during removal and installation.
8. Connector from blower motor.
9. Blower motor screws. Five 7 mm screws.
10. Rotate blower motor so that the flat side is down.
11. Blower motor.

--Install or Connect--

NOTICE: Failure to maintain a 25mm clearance between spark plug wires and HVAC blower motor may result in improper operation or failure of blower motor. Refer to section 6D4 for proper spark plug wire routing.

1. Remove the inertial plate for the new blower motor.
! IMPORTANT!
Re-install two screws with washers to prevent the motor and housing from separating during removal and installation. Leave blower motor in box to reduce the amount of handling of the blower motor.
2. Rotate blower motor so that the flat side is down.
3. Blower motor.
4. Inertial plate. Three 8 mm screws.
5. Blower motor screws. Five 7 mm screws.
• Torque screws to 1 N.m (7 lb. in.)
6. Connector from blower motor.
7. Solenoid purge valve, one 10 mm bolt, two vacuum connection, and 1 electrical connector.
8. #5 and #7 plug wires for spark plugs. Reposition spark plug harness.
9. Reposition cross car harness.
10. Disconnect (4) electrical connectors from ignition control module.
11. Cowl cross-tower brace (Four 13 mm nuts).
12. Negative battery cable.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
Quick tip: unbolt the front cradle bolts and lift car by the body ( I know, easier with a lift.) This moves the engine forward and down. Then the cross brace, ign module ass'y (leave plug wires connected), move harness, remove the blower.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe
584 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Our initial idea was to attach a cable between a nearby palm tree and the engine and to push the car back to rock the engine - we killed that idea pretty quick. We decided to take stuff apart and see how much room we had. We took the three screws out of the back of the blower motor and the old one fell apart allowing us to pull the pieces out. We removed the strut crossbar, engine cover (had to grab one of the posts with a pair of pliers as it spun out), MAP sensor, a couple electric connectors, the closest spark plug boot, disconnected the harness mounting clips and pushed the whole thing below the blower motor. There was a sheet metal clip bolted to the valve cover that got in the way as well. The advice about rotating the blower motor with the flat spot helped and we were able to pursuade it in with a little pressure on an angle with the rear of the motor pointing to the driver's headlight and the squirrel cage pointing towards the passenger rear tire (more or less).

We read another post about how to deal with the crumbling fan housing and used a metallic high heat tape to re-create the housing - thanks to everyone. I'm usually over on the CTS forum and turned my brother onto this forum - you guys rock!

·
Registered
1997 SLS
550 Posts
Thanks SLS GOLD...good stuff...your factory manual doesn't describe moving the or rotating engine (at least for the Seville). I saved this in my files in case the blower on mine ever goes out. Have you considered posting this in Tech Tips (specifically for Sevilles)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts