Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The blower motor in my 97 STS is not working checked fuse in trunk and under hood all good. It does not work at any speeds or temp. Received a blower motor relay but cant find location of it to try new one.:mad:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
The module became part of the blower assembly in '94. They can often burn up and quit. A new blower should get you going again.

Logan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Re: Blower Motor Relay (in my 93?)

Logandiagnostic said:
The module became part of the blower assembly in '94. They can often burn up and quit. A new blower should get you going again.

Logan
Hello,

I just bought a 93 Eldorado with a non-working blower also. Was going to start a new thread but saw this and thought... why not just continue the conversation/investigation! ;)

So, where would the relay be in my 93, as I have checked all the fuses and found no problem there. There doesnt seem to be any power coming to the blower motor, so I figure it must be a relay or switch of some kind. It doesn't seem to be doing anything in Econ or Auto, at any setting.

Can I just put 12v to that plug to test the motor, using leads direct off the battery or something? One thing I did notice is the spark-plug wires on the back side of the motor were rubbing up against the blower motor itself. I know this is not good for the life of the motor, or the wires... :madtalkin

My headlights don't work at all either, but that's another story. Have to start a new thread on that for sure! Thanks for any clues. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Boyd said:
The blower motor in my 97 STS is not working checked fuse in trunk and under hood all good. It does not work at any speeds or temp. Received a blower motor relay but cant find location of it to try new one.:mad:

Try this relay on yours should also be on the blower motor. Follow th wires.

Cadillac Blower Motor

In 1994, Cadillac started using a brushless blower motor. It is easily recognizable by the low profile motor design and three-wire plug connector. The motor has an electronic control module built inside. The control module regulates blower speeds by pulsing the ground circuit.

Pulsing of the ground circuit will show on a scanner as a 'duty cycle'. With a duty cycle of 100%, the blower will be at high speed. A duty cycle of about 40% will run the blower at low speed.

The A/C programmer supplies the signal to the controller for correct blower speed. The signal is based on the A/C control panel settings and various sensor inputs.

To test, take voltage readings, with a digital volt/ohm meter (DVOM), on the three wires at the blower motor.

Terminal C: power supply; should measure battery voltage from fuse.

Terminal A: ground; should measure 0 volt.

Terminal B: signal; varying voltage:

less than 4 volts - high speed
between 4 and 9 volts - intermediate speeds
9-10 volts - low speed
11-12 volts - off.
Diagnosis:

Low or no voltage at terminal C - replace fuse and/or repair wiring.
Greater than .2v on terminal A - repair ground connections and/or wiring.
No voltage on terminal B - replace blower motor
Varying voltage signal on terminal B - with no blower operation or blower speed will not change as signal changes - replace blower motor.
No change in voltage on terminal B - blower motor is okay - testing of A/C programmer and A/C control panel is required.

Check our online catalogs for other parts for your vehic

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a rather unique problem. I have a 1994 Cadillac Deville. I can't get the blower to work consistantly. Sometimes it works other times it does not. I have checked for power at the harness plug ("A") and it matches the battery voltage. I get nothing off the "B" plug and nothing off "C"(and I shouldn't its a ground).

I posted a test here as a reply to someone else. I know in that test it indicates if I get no voltage on "B" I should replace the blower motor. BUT if the blower was no good why does it sometimes work?

What makes the problem even more odd is if I put a meter on "A" and ground the meter to "C" then plug in the blower again it works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Re: Blower Motor Relay (in my 93?)

sprucegoose said:
Hello,

I just bought a 93 Eldorado with a non-working blower also. Was going to start a new thread but saw this and thought... why not just continue the conversation/investigation! ;)

So, where would the relay be in my 93, as I have checked all the fuses and found no problem there. There doesnt seem to be any power coming to the blower motor, so I figure it must be a relay or switch of some kind. It doesn't seem to be doing anything in Econ or Auto, at any setting.

Can I just put 12v to that plug to test the motor, using leads direct off the battery or something? One thing I did notice is the spark-plug wires on the back side of the motor were rubbing up against the blower motor itself. I know this is not good for the life of the motor, or the wires... :madtalkin

My headlights don't work at all either, but that's another story. Have to start a new thread on that for sure! Thanks for any clues. :thumbsup:

I've been looking around for problems relating to a 1994 Cadillac. I have seen some reference to the modules(relay as you call it) on pre 94"s. I think on yours what your looking for should be beside the blower on the firewall. Follow the wires. Did you check for power at the plug?

·
Registered
5 Posts
More blower relay questions.
My wifes 96 ETC is having blower problems....I have replaced the motor 2 times thinking both times that it was the problem, first time it seemed to be the motor as it would not come on at all, after install it worked great for about a month then started working intermittently, so swapped it again and it lasted bout 3 weeks than intermentent working again. but it keeps doing the same thing...even had it into the dealership and they dont know whats going on, they say it could be one thing then change their minds.
Anyhow some days it will blow fine and other days it wont work at all, the compressor comes on and stays running just fine and the display works also but the blower will not come on, and im not wanting to replace this motor again. Is there a relay on the 96 ETC that can be sticking and then releasing some times causing it to work...it seems if you turn the car on and off enough times the blower will start working and will work a few days then stop again.
The dealership last recomended the digital ac control panel be replaced, but also said they didnt know if it would fix the problem or not :/
Help me please, wife has 30 min commute in the heat, and she wont drive my 01 chevy truck says it too hard to see out of LOL.
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
6 Participants
Jareck