Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having an issue with the blower motor of my 68. It doesn't seem that it wants to stop running. Someone has done some wiring to a relay under the hood, but I would like to know if anyone may have the wiring diagram for the heater control unit. The car does have Auto temp sensor.
Is there a trick to it? Is this a common problem in the old Cadillacs? The AC does work and so does the heat, I just can't get the blower motor to stop running.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

·
Registered
1970 Fleetwood 60-Special, 03 DHS
142 Posts
By always do you mean it runs all the time when the ignition is on? Or also when the ignition is off?

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It runs when the ignition is on. I figured that if I can't get it fixed, I am just going to put an extra on/off switch to control it. But it would be nice if I can get it figured out.

·
Registered
1949 Cadillac Series 62
43 Posts
Hi,
Not sure if I understand correctly or if my memory will serve me properly. Many years ago I owned a '68 Caddy convertible. It also had an automatic system. If I recall correctly, the fan always ran but the fan speed was controlled by the sensor. Sometimes it ran fast if it needed to bring down/up the temperature inside the car. When the inside temperature was close to the setting, the fan speed automatically slowed to low. In effect, it always ran!
Also, if I remember correctly, it didn't run in the winter until the engine produced enough heat to blow a warm stream of air instead of blowing cold air (with a cold engine). Once the engine was capable of producing heat, the fan came on full speed until the interior came up to temperature. I invite others to help me with my memory.

·
Registered
1968 Coupe DeVille
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. This is very helpful. I actually have the owner's manual for the car. I am going to look at it and see if it mentions anything.

I am so excited that after a mechanic's careful inspection, the car seems to be in great condition. I am keeping it all stock with the exception of some 15 inch Cragar SS wheels and an after market radio.. Can't wait to start taking her on some trips, but boy does she like to sip fuel!

·
Registered
1949 Cadillac Series 62
43 Posts
Yes, she does sip the liquid in big gulps. I could never get above 15 mph with mine. Easy acceleration, moderate speed, and don't use the passing gear and it will help you pass a few gas stations. Enjoy the waves and 'beeps' from other drivers and the 'thumbs up'.
Good luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts