Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Seville SLS 2002
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Months ago, my AC ceased to produce cold air. First produced cool air from one front panel vent, and ambient temp from the other. Then produced only ambient air. But it was winter, so I let it go. Come spring, advised that the system has no freon in it at all. Must have leaked from somewhere, I realize.

Now it's summer, and I want to fix the AC. But bad news, now no air at all is pumped out of either vent. Closest general repair shop (Firestone) won't touch the AC issue until after they've spent 6 hours or so "diagnosing" the blower motor (to determine "which one of your blower motors is bad").

Based on my last observation, spending $500 - 900 to fix the blower motor isn't even going to solve anything, as I still won't have any cold air.

What would the smart guys do?

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
Welcome :wave:

Find another shop. The blower is completely independent of the refrigeration system. Just the fact that they need 6 hours to diagnose a blower motor is big red flag.

I would not expect to pay $500 to replace a blower, but then I don't keep up on labor prices. $900 is highway robbery. :gungrin:

·
Registered
Seville SLS 2002
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. Is it even true that there are two separate blower motors, one difficult to replace and one fairly easy?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
Thank you. Is it even true that there are two separate blower motors, one difficult to replace and one fairly easy?
======================
yes - two separate blower motors -
the aux/rear blower is controlled by the back-seat controller -

the main blower is under the dash -
not hard to replace -
however -
there are a couple things to check first -

check the fuses under the back seat -

locate the blower and give it a smack -
if it works - 99.999% - the brushes are worn out -
and the blower needs to be replaced -

the other common problem is a bad ground -
"hidden" behind the passenger kick panel -

once the blower is fixed -
diagnosing/finding an AC leak is fairly easy -
WITH THE PROPER TOOLS -

-------------------

oh - if the blower motor does need to be replaced -
I recommend the FOUR SEASONS 75749 - $43.84 - with free shipping -
http://www.amazon.com/Four-Seasons-Trumark-75749-Blower/dp/B001TPUCE4/ref=au_as_r?_encoding=UTF8&Make=Cadillac|46&Model=Seville|413&Year=2002|2002&ie=UTF8&n=15684181&newVehicle=1&s=automotive&vehicleId=1&vehicleType=automotive

and if you want to replace it yourself -
there is a HowTo in the TechTips forum - here -
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-tech-tips-how-fix/

·
Registered
Seville SLS 2002
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ha! What should I find on my morning drive today, other than a nice strong stream of air (not chilled!) being BLOWN out of my dash. Guess the motor is functional.

Based on what I've read here, I should clean the ground connection. Anything else that comes to mind?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,998 Posts
Ha! What should I find on my morning drive today, other than a nice strong stream of air (not chilled!) being BLOWN out of my dash. Guess the motor is functional.

Based on what I've read here, I should clean the ground connection. Anything else that comes to mind?
===========================
Based on what I've read here,
I should clean the ground connection.
Anything else that comes to mind?

around 5% of the blower failures are due to a faulty ground -
and 95% are simply worn out blowers -

I would just replace the blower -
and be done with it -

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 1969 El Camino SS396, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4,
88 Posts
I just replaced my blower motor a few weeks ago. The old one would not always turn on unless persuaded it by tapping on the kick panel. Since replacing it no troubles what-so-ever!

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
:yeah:

Ground failures are rare on these blowers.
My daughters '04 SLS was intermittent. After pulling and cleaning it 2 or 3 times, I finally replaced it. Haven't had a problem since. Would have saved myself a lot of work and aggravation had I done that the first time.

·
Registered
Seville SLS 2002
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ranger recommended a part on 5-27. I ordered it that day. Expect to receive tomorrow.

Thanks all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts