·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thom Hone
‘93 CDV, slate green, beechwood leather, FWD

Hello Folks,

***Love them Caddies!***

My latest problem, but not my main problem (see “Knock, knock” under deVille), is similar to aja0911. The blower won’t stop running.

I had this same problem on my ’89 deVille and after pulling all the fuses, I cut the wire to the blower. I took it to the dealership who told me that it was the “blower control module”. Working too many hours to try to fix it myself I left the car with them. When I picked up the car the bill was $280!!! When I made an exclamation about the amount, the service rep laughed and said “It would have been $240 if you hadn’t cut the wire.” Needless to say I haven’t been back to that dealership.

Well, I bought a Haynes manual today. I think a little less vagueness and a few more pictures are in order. Don’t get me wrong, I like the book. I have one for my ’91 Chevy S-10. But I ramble.

I found the relay/fuse box on the firewall near the blower housing and I found the 2 bolts (they appeared to be studs with nuts to me) that holds it on. Oh, what shall I discover underneath yon box. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

After a bit of GOOGLING, I read something about error codes and electrical resistance testing that I should check out first. This I found to be important because even if the fan runs fine it can have a voltage spike that can and may have damaged the “BLOWER CONTROL MODULE”.
Sounds important doesn’t it? It is if you have to pay $200-$300 to fix it!

I’ll be back with more updates and “True Confessions” of my Caddie days.

BY THE WAY!! If anyone has anymore information on my plight, please jot me a line. Thanks.

TH

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Those modules are an EXTREMELY COMMON problem on anything they were installed in. Yes they are expensive to replace but luckily, they are also very easy to replace too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Had the same problem. A good fix vs. cutting the wire to shut the fan off is to remove Maxi Fuse #3 for the Electronic Climate Control. In my Caddy they are located under the hood just under where the wipers rest on the passenger side. They are covered but fairly easy to get to. The fix was $217 at my dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wish I could have found a dealer that would sell the blower control module for eighty bucks. After searching, the cheapest I found was $158 plus tax- luckily it was the closest one to me, and they had it in stock. The one I pulled had a date of 6-12-92 on it, and a price tag of $78.00, so they've been pricey little suckers all along.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have kinda the opposite problem. I'll be driving along in my 96 Seville STS and the blower is working just fine when all of a sudden it will shut off. Sometimes it takes a few moments and then you can hear it kick back on and slowly come back up to speed like it would do when switching the settings from low to high. Think this is the same module? Doesn't do it all the time but it does seem to be getting more frequent. Where is this module located? I'll take a look. Thanks.

·
Registered
1996 STS
1,489 Posts
Squatch, the module for your blower in the STS is one unit with the blower. When the module goes out, you got to change the whole thing. Could be you have a loose connector. It happens quite often.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Haven't checked yet. Where is the connector located? I'm sure I can find it but why not ask. Thanks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts