Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Friday, the engine started rough and got much worse within a hundred yards with the Check Engine light blinking and Service Stabilitrak message. I turned around and parked it for the weekend. I've driven a pickup when it threw a rod and this felt as bad.

Monday, I was about to call for a tow truck but decided to start it up first. It ran perfectly fine and has since. If anything, it's better than before: I'm not hearing that little harsh note on acceleration that GM V8s would get when they got old (or ours did).

This Friday, I had my local service station check the codes in case there's something that might recur when I'm far from home. Thankfully, they didn't charge me anything.

Anyone have an idea what caused this?

I put this here because the Northstar forum does not look very active.

·
Registered
2006 DTS, 2006 DTS
118 Posts
When this happened to me it was timing chain guide/tension failure. Engine light blinking / stabilitrack was on running rough. These engines either run correct or not. If its shaking severely more than likely the timing chain which at this point the valves were probably open when pistons came up from timing chain jumping position and smash. I just pulled motor and replaced with junkyard engine which was the best option for me. I still have original motor on stand id like to tackle this summer I have you tube videos on how to remove the engine if your interested.

Here is a link i used to find my junkyard engine locally, very helpful. http://www.car-part.com/ For example i found an engine just now 6 miles from my location. $600 for engine with 88,000. not bad at all

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,670 Posts
I put this here because the Northstar forum does not look very active.
The Northstar forum is pretty active but it caters mostly to the pre-VVT engines. Most of the VVT problems wind up in either "STS" or "DTS" forums.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Platinum. gone: 04 Deville, 76 Eldo conv, 74 Fltwd
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize we had VVT, I thought that was RWD only.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts