Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last fall the oil burner section of our heat pump/fossil fuel furnace quit. Blind call to "B&B HVAC Company". They had a tech here in one hour, new ignition transformer, good to go. Company offered a discounted service contract. Sat on it for a month - to 12/1 - and finally said "OK". Mailed in the discounted annual fee - $310 (includes 2 service calls, one system checkup, 10% on parts).

Fast forward to this morning. 34° - Heat pump running, lights dimming every 20 seconds, kitchen AC voltage monitor periodically dropping to 110VAC. 3 cycles of this and the heat pump compressor quits - loud hum, no start. I call B&B and change from heat pump to oil heat. They have a tech here in 2.5 hours. Diagnosis: bad compressor/fan start capacitor. New replacement, system check, 35 minutes. $75 and change.

The service contract just came close to paying for itself. The top of the compressor start capacitor was bulged like a bad tomato juice can.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Luck trumps expert advice anytime in the games that count! In the intelligence game Sigint, Elint, Comint and Humint all play a part in keeping analyts busy ...... but very often it is "Luckint" that makes all the difference in a favorable outcome!

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
Last fall the oil burner section of our heat pump/fossil fuel furnace quit. Blind call to "B&B HVAC Company". They had a tech here in one hour, new ignition transformer, good to go. Company offered a discounted service contract. Sat on it for a month - to 12/1 - and finally said "OK". Mailed in the discounted annual fee - $310 (includes 2 service calls, one system checkup, 10% on parts).

Fast forward to this morning. 34° - Heat pump running, lights dimming every 20 seconds, kitchen AC voltage monitor periodically dropping to 110VAC. 3 cycles of this and the heat pump compressor quits - loud hum, no start. I call B&B and change from heat pump to oil heat. They have a tech here in 2.5 hours. Diagnosis: bad compressor/fan start capacitor. New replacement, system check, 35 minutes. $75 and change.

The service contract just came close to paying for itself. The top of the compressor start capacitor was bulged like a bad tomato juice can.
Sub, with your background why don't you work on this stuff yourself like I do? I don't believe I've ever hired a heating tech to work on my house. Do some research. Everything you need to know is on the internet. A stack thermometer, a smoke gauge and a multimeter will get you in the ball park on almost any installation.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sub, with your background why don't you work on this stuff yourself like I do? I don't believe I've ever hired a heating tech to work on my house. Do some research. Everything you need to know is on the internet. A stack thermometer, a smoke gauge and a multimeter will get you in the ball park on almost any installation.
Same reason you (we) have been laid up recently - arthritis, cold, and wrenches don't mix at 34 degreesF. This time, I figured "Screw it !!!" and called in the HVAC boys.

The burner xformer last fall - Yep, it cost me some bucks, but now Karen has the service contract to fall back on if I'm REALLY OOC.

(............ and, Dave, believe me - it tries my soul to admit that sometimes the kids have the ace high hands.)

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
Luck and Superstition are always more powerful than science.

Science and Fact have never saved my life.

Superstition, Hope, Prayer and Luck have come to my rescue on more occasions than I care to remember.

·
Registered
2006 STS4 V8 1SG & 2007 STS V8 1SE
8,178 Posts
On a given day, lucky beats good. However, bad luck can be defeated with preparation and persistance.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Hard work, preparation and persistence make good luck a more frequent visitor!

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
"Luck Of The Irish" is actually an old phrase meaning a consistent and long-lasting spell of bad luck.

However, I make up for my luck by maintaining a proper level of superstition and throwing in extra tribute/faith to cover the grey areas.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I am always prepared. Why? A river of bad luck, that I willingly wade knee deep into and challenge.

When you step blindly into the roadway, you always risk an accident. I don't bother to fret, because if an auto comes along...I'll just run it over.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts