Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2000 ETC
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the temp control knob the only thing that tells the blend door actuator to open or close? When I turn on the heat sometimes the door stays open and I get cold air on the passenger side. If I turn the knob all the way down and up a few times the door closes and I get heat on the passenger side. So, will changing the actuator be the only thing I need to be concerned with?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
The blend doors are controlled by the auto climate control. Remember, the cabin temp will be cold at start up and will require full heat to get it warmed up faster, but as the requested temperature is reached, the door closes to less than full heat. That's all controlled by sensors.

If I turn the knob all the way down and up a few times the door closes and I get heat on the passenger side.
That sounds like a sticky actuator. Replacing it should solve your problem.
There is a chance that you could lube it...................if you don't mind doing the job again if that fails.

P.S.
I should add that if you year a clicking sound, it has a broken gear tooth and WILL need to be replaced.

·
Registered
2000 ETC
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give lubing it a try and see how it goes. It is fairly accessible when the glove box is removed.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Let us know if it works. Curious minds want to know.

·
Registered
2000 ETC
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Should get to it by Saturday and will let you curiously minded people know.

·
Registered
2000 ETC
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got the glove box out and sprayed WD-40 on all moving parts. Not sure it it is a success or a failure. Seemed to work properly for more than half the time and seemed to operate better the more I ran the temp up and down. It will probably take a few days of driving to see if it actually solved the problem. Will report again in a few days. I really hope it works as I don't relish the idea of replacing it. Not a whole lot of room in there to say the least.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,254 Posts
Got the glove box out and sprayed WD-40 on all moving parts. Not sure it it is a success or a failure. Seemed to work properly for more than half the time and seemed to operate better the more I ran the temp up and down. It will probably take a few days of driving to see if it actually solved the problem. Will report again in a few days. I really hope it works as I don't relish the idea of replacing it. Not a whole lot of room in there to say the least.
====================
spraying WD40 on the outside of the actuator isn't going to do much -

the grease INSIDE the actuator has probably dried out and gummed up the plastic gears -

·
Registered
2000 ETC
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After using the heat for the last 4 days the blend door seems to be working properly. How long that will last is to be determined.

·
Registered
1992 Seville, 2002 Eldorado ETC
80 Posts
Had the blend door actuator go out on my ETC a few years ago with the same symptoms. Had it changed and it was fixed. I've heard it's a common issue with a lot of GM vehicles of the time.

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
567 Posts
I had to replace both of mine on my 98 Eldo ETC too... all good now

1 - 11 of 11 Posts