Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Gold 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

How difficult is it to replace the blend door actuator on the drivers side? Now that is getting a little cooler I need to tackle this. No heat on drivers side but passengers is fine. I'm fairly certain that this is the problem so came here ti see if anyone has actrually done the job. I do have shop manuals someplace that in a box after my move. Still looking :(

2007 STS4 1SG with 88,000 mikes.

Thanks

·
Registered
2009 STS 1SG, 2013 SRX
225 Posts
Blend door for temperature (temp valve actuator) is tricky, but doable. It's only 2 screws but requires you to jam your torso under the dash and operate mostly by feel. You can see the screw closest to your head but the 2nd screw is hidden by the part itself. It's one of those car jobs where when you get the screw started, you feel lucky. You feel even luckier you didn't drop the screw taking it out and lose it.

Blend door for flow (mode valve actuator... directing where the air goes) requires the entire dash to come out per the book.

Here is the definitive thread, with pictures: https://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-forum-2005-through-2012/373666-05-sts-clicking-popping-sound-dash-2.html

Post #17 talks about the temperature valve and post #27 shows what is needed to access the mode valve. Mode valve actuator is a job where I would pay the money to the dealer to do it (5.2 hrs book time).

·
Registered
Gold 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh my that is rediculous. Shame on Cadillac because that seems excessive to me but it is what it is. I'll look through the links and see if I'm brave enough to tackle it. Not sure I want to pay someone that kind of cash but I might have to :(. Appreciate the fast reply and hope there are possible options.

·
Registered
05 Stealth Gray CTS-V, 08 Light Platinum SRX V8, 05 White Diamond STS4 V8 1SG
2,035 Posts
Yeah it is disappointing. On mine the pass side is much cooler than the driver's side but will still get warm so I'm ignoring it until something stops working entirely. I know there are a lot of actuators and I am sure Cadillac did not invent HVAC actuator failures, but then I have a 96 Roadmaster with auto climate control, with 183k on it, with zero HVAC issues (in fact the original A/C charge). And I have a 99 Dodge Ram with manual climate but the blend door is electronically controlled (99% sure anyway) and works fine, too. Actually my 05 CTS-V and 08 SRX are also fine...I guess the STS is "special."

·
Registered
Gold 2007 STS4 V8 1SG
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I might ignore mine for a while as well. Its not freezing when I dial up the heat on the drivers side yet. Plus there is no noise coming from behind the controls. I bought my son a 2009 CTS so I hope this issue doesn't happen on that car. Manual transmission but the climate control is auto as well like my STS4.

Mt 1996 Corvette has a blend door issue as well but I just manually moved it for AC and left it there. Never drive when its cold (TX) any way but my other cars have never seen an issue like this.

·
Registered
2008 STS V8, 2009 SRX 4WD V8
116 Posts
I've owned a '93 STS, a '99 STS and currently drive a '08 STS.

Every single one of them have had to have a blend actuator replaced and it's always an expensive proposition because of their location inside the dashboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have an 08 STS that has this exact same issue - my mechanic replaced the actuator as it was bad and still no heat on the drivers side(I can sometimes feel the cold get less cold when I change the temp and all the air vents get air); and I think they unplugged something because now the heat won't work in the backseat and there's also clearly an unplugged plug, one of the white ones from the link mentioned before but I can't figure out where it plugs back into

Any insight anyones found would be appreciated :) Michigan kinda fell right into winter with no fall and I hate having literal cold feet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also have an 08 STS that has this exact same issue - my mechanic replaced the actuator as it was bad and still no heat on the drivers side(I can sometimes feel the cold get less cold when I change the temp and all the air vents get air); and I think they unplugged something because now the heat won't work in the backseat and there's also clearly an unplugged plug, one of the white ones from the link mentioned before but I can't figure out where it plugs back into

Any insight anyones found would be appreciated :) Michigan kinda fell right into winter with no fall and I hate having literal cold feet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ok so I have the same issue where my heat is on and the driver side is cold but the passenger side is hot my actuator on the driver side under the steering wheel does work i saw it moving the lever the heater core has been flushed within the last 2 years what else could be causing this issue ? should i try to see if the passenger actuator is functioning at all is there a test for it can it bee seen like the drivers side one or am i going to end up taking my dash apart like the photo, i hope not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
"ok so I have the same issue where my heat is on and the driver side is cold but the passenger side is hot ..."

08stsCitizen - did you ever find a solution to your problem?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts