Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never seen this before, kinda hard to describe,one of my rear tail light chrome
housings is bleeding rust, it's like it's pock marked with small cuts in the chrome
and rust is oozing out anyone else seen this before?.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've cleaned it up a few times,it always comes back,good to know it's common, is that housing the same from 1978 to 1992 ?.

·
Registered
1979 Phaeton Coupe, 1990 Brougham d'Elegance 5.7 liter
4,416 Posts
Housing isn't the same. It goes 1978-1979, 1980-1989, 1990-1992. At least I *think* they changed it in '90. It's the same shape, but I think they changed it a bit for the new tail lights.

So, anything from 1980-1989 should be fine for yours.

How's your back bumper? Sometimes it's easier to get the whole thing with the housings if you find them all together in nice shape.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Housing isn't the same. It goes 1978-1979, 1980-1989, 1990-1992. At least I *think* they changed it in '90. It's the same shape, but I think they changed it a bit for the new tail lights.

So, anything from 1980-1989 should be fine for yours.

How's your back bumper? Sometimes it's easier to get the whole thing with the housings if you find them all together in nice shape.

Thanks for reply,the only rust on the whole car is this tail light, the car has been garaged all it's life, except for the last five years it has been in a carport,
60,000 miles.

·
Registered
1991 Brougham D'Elegance 5.7L V8
613 Posts
I had that problem on the bumper of my 92....steel wool did the trick every time. Then I started putting some clear wax on it, and that slowed it down quite a bit.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had that problem on the bumper of my 92....steel wool did the trick every time. Then I started putting some clear wax on it, and that slowed it down quite a bit.

Thanks, I'll give it a try.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
Try Bar Keeper's Friend to remove the rust (it should stop it from coming back) and fine (00 or finer) steel wool. Then spray WD40 in any of the little cracks; it sucks up moisture and stop any more rust from forming.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Try Bar Keeper's Friend to remove the rust (it should stop it from coming back) and fine (00 or finer) steel wool. Then spray WD40 in any of the little cracks; it sucks up moisture and stop any more rust from forming.
I'll give it a try,is the bar keepers friend an auto supply item?.

·
Registered
1983 FWB (Mac), 1981 SDV (Junkyard Dog)
734 Posts
Cad tail light housings changed physically in 1980. 1980 and 1981 are interchangeable, 1982 onward are different in their mounting to the bumper (no doubt assembly labour cost was the reason). The problem with the chrome is universal in that it is of such poor quality that the only real fix is to have the chrome redone by a genuine chrome shop (very hard to find nowadays). The chrome on Cadillac t/l housings and bumpers from 1980 through 1987 is so unbelievably crappy that it can and has been washed away by water running on them continually over time. This I have learned from experience. Replating is the only way to cure the problem. Any doubts, I have photos to prove the point (just ask... I can start a thread on this subject).
Cheers............R.

·
Registered
95 FWB 81SDV 96 FWB 94 Fleetwood
1,654 Posts
I had the same problem with my wire wheels.. Only to repete what has already been said..I use a strong acid chrome cleaner ,wash and dry then a coat of good liquid car wax and a second coat won't hurt... I do all my chrome this way now...

·
Registered
68 DVC, 96 FLTWD Brgm, 11 CTS Premium (two)
1,695 Posts
Mothers chrome polish also has protectants.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts