Cadillac Owners Forum banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2017 ATS-V
562 Posts
So I’m wondering about drive through car washes. I plan to daily my BW which has Carbon 1 and wondering about using a drive through a car wash? Just a little concerned about the front dive planes. Any advice?
Do not take your car through a carwash. Many use acidic sprays especially around the wheels which will degrade the grease on your brake pins on the calipers. That will cause irregular pad wear and irregular deposits on your rotors.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,140 Posts
Been going to my hand car wash for years. Place has been in business since 1965. I like talking to the workers there. I spend a little time getting to know them and they take care of my car very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See, here’s the problem, at any hand car wash it doesn’t matter if they take great care with yours or any car, the problem is they use the same batch of mitts over and over again all day long. So all it takes is 1 good muddy vehicle to come through and soil up a couple or all the mitts and they get tossed right back into their big bucket with soapy water where they grab them from and those dirty mitts get re-used and will cause scratches on your paint. So the “great care” is actually sort of meaningless because you can take all the care in the world but if you’re working with dirty mitts they’re not going to be all that safe to begin with.

And I don’t know of any car wash that would go out of their way to only use the several mitts on 1 vehicle and rotate freshly washed mitts for the next… That would be too costly and time consuming to be washing mitts all day.

[some car washes actually do have a process in place that’s supposed to help wash the wash media as they toss it back in and re use it, but it’s more of a gentle swishing than an actual washing. 1 good muddy vehicle can turn that water into a swamp and that’s as good as it gets until the next time they decide to drain and refill that large machine]

I don't get it. Why would a place that washes a car all by hand need a 'track' of any kind. And yes, I don't get out much. I guess.

If'n I had a BW I'd define ANY occasion or instance where someone other than me even touched it as a potentially seriously forever regrettable opportunity for tragedy and intense sorrow afterward.
Yea they “hand wash” your car, but that’s where the hands on part ends, because after that 1st. stage of the process it gets driven onto a track that gets pulled by a chain in order to go through the rinse, spray wax/foam, then rinse again, and finally high pressure air dried and finally comes out the other side of the tunnel where an employee starts the car and parks it for another employee to spot check it and clean the windows and earn his tip and hand you your keys once he’s all done.

· Registered
2022 CT5-V Blackwing 6MT
1,600 Posts
See, here’s the problem, at any hand car wash it doesn’t matter if they take great care with yours or any car, the problem is they use the same batch of mitts over and over again all day long. So all it takes is 1 good muddy vehicle to come through and soil up a couple or all the mitts and they get tossed right back into their big bucket with soapy water where they grab them from and those dirty mitts get re-used and will cause scratches on your paint. So the “great care” is actually sort of meaningless because you can take all the care in the world but if you’re working with dirty mitts they’re not going to be all that safe to begin with.

And I don’t know of any car wash that would go out of their way to only use the several mitts on 1 vehicle and rotate freshly washed mitts for the next… That would be too costly and time consuming to be washing mitts all day.

[some car washes actually do have a process in place that’s supposed to help wash the wash media as they toss it back in and re use it, but it’s more of a gentle swishing than an actual washing. 1 good muddy vehicle can turn that water into a swamp and that’s as good as it gets until the next time they decide to drain and refill that large machine]

Yea they “hand wash” your car, but that’s where the hands on part ends, because after that 1st. stage of the process it gets driven onto a track that gets pulled by a chain in order to go through the rinse, spray wax/foam, then rinse again, and finally high pressure air dried and finally comes out the other side of the tunnel where an employee starts the car and parks it for another employee to spot check it and clean the windows and earn his tip and hand you your keys once he’s all done.
Thanks for the tip. Actually, I asked the guys to use fresh towels, mitts, etc. for me today. Since my car doesn’t clear the track I had a true hand car wash. Got the interior done, too. I definitely got my money’s worth. The owner and boss man who is always working with the troops personally cleaned the interior.

· Registered
112 Posts
BW without the carbon packages here. My only concern would be the rear wing, since I have no idea how it's secured to the car, but it's not been an issue with the new Flagship wash that's opened up here (it's a moving belt wash too, so no concerns about wheels or anything).

Sometimes you're in a rush and just don't have the time, so a machine wash is the only option. I think we're all well aware here of the pros/cons. It's your car, wash it how you want.

· Premium Member
2000 DHS
2,140 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Actually, I asked the guys to use fresh towels, mitts, etc. for me today. Since my car doesn’t clear the track I had a true hand car wash. Got the interior done, too. I definitely got my money’s worth. The owner and boss man who is always working with the troops personally cleaned the interior.

It’s great to see you’re on top of your game.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts