Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some advice....how much blacking out of the lights is considered legal? Does it vary from state to state? I would rather not tempt fate and have to answer questions on the side of the road....also what is the easiest/best way to black out the tails?:confused:

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
VHT Nightshades, about $10-11 a can.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
162 Posts
Need some advice....how much blacking out of the lights is considered legal? Does it vary from state to state? I would rather not tempt fate and have to answer questions on the side of the road....also what is the easiest/best way to black out the tails?:confused:

I was stopped by a cop when I had the GTO for having this done, no ticket, but was told I needed to fix it. It was also night when I was stopped. If you don't know someone who does inspections you will run into problems there as well.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS-V
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since the only suggestion was VHT Nightshades, can I assume that all of those who replied used the same technique? I see ads for custom cut plastic sheets designed specifically for the CTS. One more question....can the Nightshades paint be removed or is it a matter of replacing the cover?

·
Registered
2009 CTS-V
2,018 Posts
I did my fogs and screwed them up. I was able to wetsand and remove the VHT. I think it came off the fogs because it's not a smooth surface and the paint was only a couple of weeks old so it almost peeled off.
Use light coats when doing the tails and remove the tails before you spray to get even coats. The best method is to find a paint shop to do it for you. I haven't heard how the tint film holds up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts