Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Ordering a '18 CTS V-Sport
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been doing a lot of research here in preparing to order my first Cadillac. (An '18 CTS V-Sport) But before I do I've been asking your opinions here about some of the options I'm unsure of. This is one in particular I keep going back & forth on. For me, the suede look of the steering wheel and shift knob are really attractive in pictures, and in the showroom as well, but I'm wondering about real world durability. Long term, does the suede retain its like new appearance? Does it wear out? Does it mat down? Would sweaty hands (like mine) ruin the suede material? Compared to other options, and the cost of the car overall, this is a small price tag item, but if 6 months down the road it looks like crap then I don't want it.

You folks with the suede steering wheel & shift knob, any recommendations?

·
Registered
2014 CTS VSport Premium
22 Posts
The suede on the doors in my 2014 shows noticeable soiling and/or wear, but mine had a prior owner.

If you get a new one I'd say stay on top of the cleaning and a can of scotchguard or suede specific product would be well worth the investment.

Personally, I think steering wheels are the hardest things to keep clean, never happy with it.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
ive had mine for 2 daily driven years....love it...still looks and feels, brand new......the secret is to get a suede brush.....i keep 2 inch by 1 inch one in my center console, and maybe once a month or every other month i'll brush it for a couple minutes, as part of my interior clean (brushing will throw off dust).....this keeps it look like new

if you do get it dirty, rubbing it with microfiber cloth dampened (not soaking) with a very diluted cleaner, will do the trick perfectly and the brush will return the nap after it's dry.....i find the this steering wheel much easier to keep looking new than leather....leather is extremely difficult to really get dirt out of the leather grain, and has a tendency to lose its finish and turn shiny from your hands...

this better performance being cleaned is because the steering wheel is a really durable microfiber material called Alcantara, it's not really suede

·
Registered
2017 CTS V-Sport
50 Posts
I was at the dealer friday looking at an '18 and the wheel was a dealer installed option @$300, anyone installed or had the dealer install after purchase? They were concerned about installing in my '17 because the '18s have automatic heated steering wheels and they believe the connection is different.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
Had the alcantara steering wheel/shifter on my first V, didn’t like the feel, ordered leather for my second. As an accessory for a street driven vehicle there is no performance benefit. If you like the look and feel and don’t mind a little routine maintenance, go for it. Like another poster said, it is a durable material and isn’t hard to care for.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I was at the dealer friday looking at an '18 and the wheel was a dealer installed option @$300, anyone installed or had the dealer install after purchase? They were concerned about installing in my '17 because the '18s have automatic heated steering wheels and they believe the connection is different.
both my '16's have heated steering wheel......after driving my car my wife demanded the suede wheel for hers.......and there is confusion with the accessory wheels ..... they (accessory steering wheels) tend not to have the heating element in the them......I refused to kill the heated steering wheel in my wife's car just to add suede.....so what i did was i passed on the accessory wheel....and instead asked my parts clerk to order a replacement steering wheel for my car (suede wheel w/heated steering) when it arrived i handed them my wifes car and she's been loving it ever since....it's the first thing she shows off whenever she gives any new friends or colleagues a ride

you need to do the same....have your dealer run a locate for a v-sport with that suede option....have them print out that sheet or invoice (something with that VIN on it) take the sheet to parts and ask them to order a replacement steering wheel for that VIN....and BOOM! you will have the perfect wheel for our cars, no functions disabled

·
Registered
2010 CTS; 2014 CTS Vsport Premium; 2017 XT5
27 Posts
ive had mine for 2 daily driven years....love it...still looks and feels, brand new......the secret is to get a suede brush.....i keep 2 inch by 1 inch one in my center console, and maybe once a month or every other month i'll brush it for a couple minutes, as part of my interior clean (brushing will throw off dust).....this keeps it look like new

if you do get it dirty, rubbing it with microfiber cloth dampened (not soaking) with a very diluted cleaner, will do the trick perfectly and the brush will return the nap after it's dry.....i find the this steering wheel much easier to keep looking new than leather....leather is extremely difficult to really get dirt out of the leather grain, and has a tendency to lose its finish and turn shiny from your hands...

this better performance being cleaned is because the steering wheel is a really durable microfiber material called Alcantara, it's not really suede
Hey man, I have the suede steering wheel and I love it. What kind of a brush did you get? Where can I get it from?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS
1,141 Posts
Suede steering wheel and shifter were MUST haves. My 2016 and 2017 ATS both had them and I knew that when searching for a V sport it had to have it. Looks great, feels great, don’t ever have to worry about it going to that nasty greasy look leather steering wheels tend to get. Nothing beats a heated suede steering wheel in the winter either....or in the summer doesn’t get hot to the touch like leather does.

·
Registered
2014 cts
82 Posts
did you run into any problems with this swap? when i gave them the part number from pissedoffwookie they said i would still have to transfer my old harness onto the new wheel or it wont work.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
did you run into any problems with this swap? when i gave them the part number from pissedoffwookie they said i would still have to transfer my old harness onto the new wheel or it wont work.
this is true of all the wheels...even if the wheel is ordered with the car...it ships separately and is installed during PDI.... when you buy the accessory wheel all you get is the frame and upholstered rim... the trim, buttons, wiring (connected to the trim), and airbag are swapped over from the original wheel.....

I grabbed my original wheel (before it was junked) when my car arrived and have it on a shelf in my garage

only the CTS-V/ATS-V come with the wheel factory installed

the importance of that part number...is the difference between the accessory suede wheel and the factory suede wheel (the part number i shared) is the heating element in the rim

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey...I’ve been following along. Me and a bunch of guys on the ATS-V FB page are trying to figure out if our suede wheels have the heating element built in, but simply no way to activate it since there are no buttons to do so (collision avoidance button take the place).

I saw someone posted this wheel from the CTS V Sport supposedly has the heating element and is suede (microfiber/Alcantara). Part # 23316245 - $375.00 retail price. How do you turn on the heating element? What button is used on the steering wheel? I believe the wheels on the ATS and CTS are the same, but not positive. If the ATS-V suede wheel does in fact have a non operational heating element built in from the factory, we are trying to determine if it can be activated with an accessory switch. If not, the CTS V Sportwheel may be another solution.

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS
1,141 Posts
Hey...I’ve been following along. Me and a bunch of guys on the ATS-V FB page are trying to figure out if our suede wheels have the heating element built in, but simply no way to activate it since there are no buttons to do so (collision avoidance button take the place).

I saw someone posted this wheel from the CTS V Sport supposedly has the heating element and is suede (microfiber/Alcantara). Part # 23316245 - $375.00 retail price. How do you turn on the heating element? What button is used on the steering wheel? I believe the wheels on the ATS and CTS are the same, but not positive. If the ATS-V suede wheel does in fact have a non operational heating element built in from the factory, we are trying to determine if it can be activated with an accessory switch. If not, the CTS V Sportwheel may be another solution.
This applies to all CTS and ATS equipped with heated wheels.....the heat button is on the left side of the steering wheel, bottom right position. Took a picture of mine and circled it. Not sure if this helps, but regardless of part number the ATS is also available with a suede wheel package WITH heat. I know the V still doesn’t have it, but I know for a fact suede/heat is available in the ATS premium....because I had one.
As you can see, suede wheel/shifter is a must have option in my Cadillacs lol. All three of them had the option lol.

Here is a pic of the heat button.

Here is a picture of my 2016 premium ATS with suede and heat, and my 2017 premium lux ATS with suede and heat both ordered new with it.

2016:

2017:

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,468 Posts
This applies to all CTS and ATS equipped with heated wheels.....the heat button is on the left side of the steering wheel, bottom right position. Took a picture of mine and circled it. Not sure if this helps, but regardless of part number the ATS is also available with a suede wheel package WITH heat. I know the V still doesn’t have it, but I know for a fact suede/heat is available in the ATS premium....because I had one.
As you can see, suede wheel/shifter is a must have option in my Cadillacs lol. All three of them had the option lol.

Here is a picture of my 2016 premium ATS with suede and heat, and my 2017 premium lux ATS with suede and heat both ordered new with it.

2016:

2017:
Love the kona interior. We call that PEANUT BUTTER where I'm from.

·
Registered
Current 2014 red CTS Vsport/ Black Raven 2013 3.6 ATS4 gone
3,468 Posts

2016:

2017:
Love the kona interior. We call that PEANUT BUTTER where I'm from even if it's darker.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts