Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2008 CTS
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed sometimes water will drip and there is black soot? Thoughts. Please see pictures of the 2012 SRX
Thanks for your time and help

Attachments

· Registered
2015 SRX
144 Posts
Ever since I noticed this on a 2015, I had this habit of checking others. Virtually every SRX that i saw has this phenomenon. I was thinking it is from the soot water that weeps from the muffler water weep hole. Interested on hearing from others.

· Registered
2012 SRX4 Premium
1,573 Posts
Ditto on all that. I also intend to paint mine black when I get around to it. Once you start looking for it it's hard not to notice how ugly and low hanging the muffler is. Hard to believe GM couldn't have found a way to hide that muffler better. It almost looks ready to fall off.

· Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150
79,889 Posts
Perfectly normal. Burning gasoline releases a LOT of water vapor (tailpipe vapor) and, until the entire exhaust system warms enough to prevent the vapor from condensing on the inner pipe/muffler surfaces, you get water drips, thus the reason for muffler weep holes. The soot comes from the rich fuel mixtures supplied just after a cold start - the "choke" is on for a while.

· Registered
2008 CTS
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much. I was worried I had an expensive trip to the mechanic. Sometimes the water drip would be big around as a basketball after I parked.
I am a girl and have to plead ignorance for not knowing the big silver thing was actually the muffler. So thankful for this group.
I googled for a muffler picture and this eBay listing came up. Black shoot and all. Ha ha
Thanks again for your help 😀

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts