Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Black/Black 2013 CTS Sedan 3.0L RWD (98k miles)
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If a car is burning about a guart of oil a month and has black smoke come out when pressing on the accelerator, are the two issues usually related?

Is there any easy fixes to try (aka putting a bunch of techron in, or like some sort of engine seal, etc)

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
558 Posts
Black smoke can mean that the fuel/air mixture is too rich. That can be caused by failing O2 sensors which in turn can be damaged by excessive oil burning. Not saying that's your problem but it could very well be. What's your mileage and have you checked our changed your spark plugs recently?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,829 Posts
Black smoke is usually rich fuel mixtures - stuck open injector comes to mind.
Blue smoke is excessive oil consumption, either constantly (rings) or on acceleration after coastdown (valve stem seals).
White vapor (constant) or steam is coolant entering the combustion chamber(s).

Some small volume of white tailpipe vapor is to be expected upon cold start or in cool/cold or cool humid weather.

Do not use so-called "oil sealers" or high viscosity oils. TECHRON is a powerful fuel system cleaner and is recommended for a 20 oz. bottle use no more frequently than 5,000 miles.

Run a TopTier gasoline - Google it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car has 150k miles, the smoke is black, it has used either Shell or Costco (Top Tier) 99% of the time, barring some emergency. Changed spark plugs at 51k miles. Was supposed to change again at 100k but by then was not sure how much longer we will keep the car so have just been driving it since then. The car is used like 90% freeway driving.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,177 Posts
What car is this? Doesn't sound like your CTS.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOL no, I would never let the CTS get bad enough to the point it billows black smoke.

It's my dad's daily driver, he has a weird affinity for all his cars, and doesn't know when it is time to go. He will rather spend $3000 to fix a 2006 rather than just calling it a day and getting a new car. He literally drives them until they die, stolen, or totaled and will spend anything to keep them going. Or maybe he fears the car salesmen.

As far back as I can remember, this is how it went in our family

Car 1: Drove 8+ years as weekend car until it was stolen, was found weeks later and totaled by insurance
Car 2: Drove 9+ years as daily driver until it was totaled in an accident
Car 3. Drove as daily driver until it was past 300k miles and sold it to California under the Clunkers for Cash program for $1000 when it failed the smog test at like 17 years or so
Car 4: Drove 19 years until it was stolen (yes that's right stolen),
was found weeks later and totaled by insurance
Car 5: The daily driver I am asking about (used to be the weekend car until car 6 totaled in 2018 and turned into his daily driver - over 14
years
Car 6: Drove until 270k miles at 11 years until totaled in accident
Car 7: Bought in 2018 as the weekend car after car 6 was totaled

Yes, he is Asian. And yes he gets in a lot of accidents. What can I say. He does drive like 25,000 miles a year in his defense (increases his chances). Finally retired this year and with COVID so hopefully is driving like 2000 miles a year now so his accidents will also decrease by 90% as well.

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,520 Posts
So thanks for all that useless info, what is the car in question? year, make, model, engine size, and type miles?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2006 Acura RL 3.5L V6, 150k miles (90% freeway)

·
Registered
2009 CTS4 Premium & 2012 SRX4 Luxury
640 Posts
All this black smoke and no CEL? Is it spewing it all the time, like even at idle, or is it just at WOT? Sure, 99k miles on current plugs would be obvious inexpensive fix to possible poor spark issue. Obviously we would not hope for another accident totalling the car, but given your Dad's vehicle history, maybe leave the car sit out with keys in it?

·
Registered
2011 CTS Coupe FE3, 2003 Thunderbird, Gone 2013 ATS, 02 Deville
1,520 Posts
put some plugs in it. If that does not clear it up let it roll backwards into the bay.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,829 Posts
Lots of time wasted. Please go to the Acura forums. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I was just asking more of a general car question, realize this isn't an Acura forum, as you guys here are pretty knowledgeable about cars in general. I don't own an Acura so didn't really know where to go. Sorry if I offended anyone by posting the question here.

·
Registered
Go ahead, blame me. Everybody does 🙄
9,177 Posts
Yeah I was just asking more of a general car question, realize this isn't an Acura forum, as you guys here are pretty knowledgeable about cars in general. I don't own an Acura so didn't really know where to go. Sorry if I offended anyone by posting the question here.
You can ask general questions here. Anybody that is offended can read another thread.

·
Registered
**2014 CTS4 Sport Wagon-Luxury**
2,126 Posts
we do tend to be like Family on this Forum feeling free to deviate to topics that have little to do with the original questions posed in a thread...no worries AB

Bill

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,849 Posts
I'm rather surprised that NO ONE has asked a VERY important - and VERY telling question -

what is the gas mileage?

an Acura that does 90% highway driving SHOULD be getting high 20's MPG -

if gas mileage SUCKS - check for a stuck injector -

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It gets about 24 ish overall. Its AWD.

I am not sure about changing spark plugs, we don't know how to DIY so at this stage of the car's life, we probably don't want to spend like $500 for someone to change them.

·
Registered
2006 STS-V
737 Posts

I am not sure about changing spark plugs, we don't know how to DIY so at this stage of the car's life, we probably don't want to spend like $500 for someone to change them.
Wha???

·
19,849 Posts

=======================
we probably don't want to spend like $500 for someone to change them.
it's just a 6 cylinder Honda - NOT a 16 cylinder Bugatti Veyron -

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Really? How much would a mechanic charge for spark plugs?

Cadillac dealer was asking for like $750 for spark plug change.

·
19,849 Posts
Really? How much would a mechanic charge for spark plugs?

Cadillac dealer was asking for like $750 for spark plug change.
========================
WHY would you take an Acura to a Cadillac dealer for ANYTHING?

YOU can buy platinum spark plugs for around $4 each - a shop might double that -
I can't imagine the labor being much more than 1.5 hours - including a coffee break -
total would be around $200 - assuming $100/hr labor -

here is a video of a guy changing the plugs -

1 - 20 of 24 Posts