Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
CTS '09 AWD DI Black Raven & SRX '09 V-8 AWD Blue Diamond
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Black Raven CTS 09. It wasn't my choice to get another black vehicle ever in my lifetime but hubby never had one and I gave in (I would have been happy with both vehicles in Blue Diamond). I'm the detailer and the picky one when it comes to the vehicles and with all your expertise on this forum can I ask what you recommend and the steps to achieve that deep rich gloss. Our vehicle is one year old, hardly driven (1,200 miles) and I've only used Zymol on it. After reading posts, it seems Zaino is THE treatment to use but not sure what the products are I should get and the steps to do. Could you give this persnickety gal some direction. THANK YOU!

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
Hi there! As a Zaino fanatic, I would highly recommend going to their website and following the directions they give. It's a bit more work than you may be used to, but you will be amazed at the results! They will tell you exactly what products to order.
http://www.zainobros.com
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
I have a Black Raven CTS 09. It wasn't my choice to get another black vehicle ever in my lifetime but hubby never had one and I gave in (I would have been happy with both vehicles in Blue Diamond). I'm the detailer and the picky one when it comes to the vehicles and with all your expertise on this forum can I ask what you recommend and the steps to achieve that deep rich gloss. Our vehicle is one year old, hardly driven (1,200 miles) and I've only used Zymol on it. After reading posts, it seems Zaino is THE treatment to use but not sure what the products are I should get and the steps to do. Could you give this persnickety gal some direction. THANK YOU!
Just keep using the Zymol. Your not gonna get any better shine and protection. I tried all the other's and went back to Zymol. :cool2:

·
Registered
CTS
14 Posts
I too have become a Zaino fanatic. I went to web site and there are very detailed descriptions of there products. I just "clayed" my 2008 gold mist CTS and it shines with a "wet gloss" appearance. The web site does a great job explaining in detail, the ins and outs. GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac XT5
24 Posts
The wax isn't the most important thing on the shine of a black car. It needs a good glazing. If possible with a soft foam pad and buffer on a low speed. Not to burn into the paint at all, just to hide all the extremely fine small scratches. Then Wax it over with Zymol or Zaino.

·
Registered
2008 CTS4 Loaded
328 Posts
I have used Zaino products for 10 years on my Corvettes. On our black CTS, the Zaino was alot of work to get perfect. I started using Adams on the CTS, it is much easier to use and gives similar results.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD
56 Posts
:DHey There,

I too have black raven paint. I love its high gloss appearance. I actually find it hard to make the paint any glossier with waxes or sealants, however, I find it can be made to look deeper. The only bad part is the swirls that are inherent to black paint. So my two main goals are to hide swirls and improve depth.

I made a post earlier about what waxes/sealants people use. Zaino has a pretty faithful following, but I caution; it takes A LOT of time and EFFORT. I had to clay x1, use Z-5 swirl remover x2 and finally Z-3 clear finish x3. I essentially passed over the car 6 times before the product really became noticable. Also the price is a bit high, it cost me (after shipping) $72 (Good 'ol Canadian pricing). If you have the time and money by all means go to the Zaino website and start reading. I would say Zaino is for a true fanatic.

If you are not so fanatical, you will probably like the Meguiars NXT 2.0 Polymer product. Its about the same price as Zymol and in my opinion leaves a "deeper" finish and is great at hiding swirls on black paint (better than Zaino in my opinion). It also comes off much easier than Zaino (which is important because you don't marr your paint when buffing it off). However, it's true, I find that Meguiars only lasts a month before the deepness and beading abilities fade. So I started using Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer after every washed and that seemed to make it last much longer.

Just my $0.02. This topic is very subjective,sometimes you have to blow a bit of money and find out yourself.
:D

·
Registered
2009 CTS
11 Posts
If you are not so fanatical, you will probably like the Meguiars NXT 2.0 Polymer product. Its about the same price as Zymol and in my opinion leaves a "deeper" finish and is great at hiding swirls on black paint (better than Zaino in my opinion). It also comes off much easier than Zaino (which is important because you don't marr your paint when buffing it off). However, it's true, I find that Meguiars only lasts a month before the deepness and beading abilities fade. So I started using Meg's Ultimate Quick Detailer after every washed and that seemed to make it last much longer.
I agree 100% with this. After detailing my new raven black CTS shortly after getting it, I was absolutely shocked to see that there was no discernible difference in colour between the black paint and and the chrome on the rear end when viewed at a perpendicular angle. The glossiness and shine was truly remarkable.

Ultimate Quick Detailer is a gift from the heavens. I just love that stuff.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts