Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever tried painting the inside mesh of the V-Grill black (for a black car obviously). Any pics?

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm still debating on doing the samething once I purhase my grille. But I think I want the entire thing blacked out...even that chrome strip up top. The only thing I want as is, is the cadillac emblem...even then I found billet emblem from trenz...so many options...

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Ulises said:
I'm still debating on doing the samething once I purhase my grille. But I think I want the entire thing blacked out...even that chrome strip up top. The only thing I want as is, is the cadillac emblem...even then I found billet emblem from trenz...so many options...
I have painted the mesh. You need to remove it from the grill. Take it to a good body shop and have them acid etch the grill. This gives you a rough surface for the paint to adhere to. Then paint it with a quality black body color paint like Dupont.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I'm stuck on what I want to do for the grille now. The new Sports package grill is nice, but the CTS-V grille painted black is nice as well. There is one grille I found that is a dual-mesh, really sweet looking, but I'm not sure I would want to buy it just so I could paint it black, considering it cost over $500.

·
Registered
413 Posts
But as I look at the CTS-V grille painted black with the chrome trim, I'm liking it more and more... I think I may have made up my mind.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
On a black car, the Black V grill with the chrome looks awesome, after all there should be some chrome, its still a Cadillac!

·
Registered
413 Posts
I think thats what I'll do. I just have to find a shop around here that knows what their doing. I really want that dual-mesh grille I found, and then I take it and get it powdercoated, that should look sweet.

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Powder coating is great but very expensive even if you can find a body shop that has the ability. We have over a dozen body shops in my town and none of them powder coat. That's why I went to the etched painted grill.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm sharing the same thoughts...it looks awesome. The only problem I see is that the radiator/hardware is exposed even more when its painted black. Hmm...

·
Registered
126 Posts
I even thought about painting my stock grille black and applying that screen/mesh you see being sold on ebay behind it...that would be different...has anyone done that yet?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
wouldn't that be identical to the 06 sport grill? they are body colored with mesh background, right? you could save yourself a few steps by buying the grill then having it painted whatever color your heart desired.

·
Registered
126 Posts
TripleOught said:
wouldn't that be identical to the 06 sport grill? they are body colored with mesh background, right? you could save yourself a few steps by buying the grill then having it painted whatever color your heart desired.
I'm sure just painting the grill and buying that mesh at AutoZone, could save me a few bucks...i

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
Ulises said:
I even thought about painting my stock grille black and applying that screen/mesh you see being sold on ebay behind it...that would be different...has anyone done that yet?
Yes a veteran poster who feel out of sight lately. Her handle was Gothicaleigh as I remember. The spacing behind the base CTS grill is not much and it hardly showed. Not worth the effort IMO.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
Powdercoating a grill can't be that much money, plus the finish will be like a mirror and very tough. The grill is flexible so paint could crack and chip.

·
Registered
CTS
1,485 Posts
RobertCTS said:
Yes a veteran poster who feel out of sight lately. Her handle was Gothicaleigh as I remember. The spacing behind the base CTS grill is not much and it hardly showed. Not worth the effort IMO.
Bob, what ever happend to the black chrome on your car? Is it done yet, haven't seen you posting it yet?? Wonder how that looks??????

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
hmm black chrome, make you wonder what the CTS-V grill would look like if you powdercoated the mesh black and re-chromed the edges with a gunmetal finish...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts