Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ended up ordering the Black Chrome grill surround and bezels by the fog lights. These come as a whole grill kit here:

http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/cadillac/cts/23478490/2015-year/vsport-premium-trim/3-6l-v6-gas-engine/exterior-cat/grille-scat/?part_name=grille

I bought the parts separately because according to that page it is no good with adaptive cruise. The parts I ordered were:

Upper Grille Trim Piece $128
Part # 23473275 - http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oe-gm/23473275

Lower Bezel Trim Pieces -$73 each
LH Side - 22900019 - http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oe-gm/22900019
RH Side - 22900020 - http://www.thatgmpartsguy.com/oe-gm/22900020

I was worried, because I had a feeling this "black chrome" was not the same as "carbon black."

I was correct. The "black chrome" grill will probably be replaced by the new black chrome grill, part number: 84124949 (NOT AVAILABLE YET)

Comparing to stock, I almost thought there was no difference!! ALMOST!

I took a piece to the dealer to compare it to carbon black grills on 2017s. I wish the pics did justice, but here's my description:

Original Grill: Semi-mirror finish - silver in color

"Black Chrome": Mirror finish, more gray with a slight blue tone (almost imperceptible). The finish is pretty clear but slightly mottled - like overspray. Very hard to see.

"Carbon Black": Mirror finish, darker than black chrome, making black chrome look like just chrome. Has almost gold tone to it with lots more of that overspray look going on.

Here's Black Chrome against Stock: (it doesn't look THIS drastic in real life)

Here's a Carbon Black grill:

Here's Black Chrome against Carbon Black:

At the dealership, I feel the carbon black grills REALLY stand out. I don't think the Black Chrome would be as easy to spot.

I'll have installed pics eventually.

·
Registered
2012 BMW 550i xDrive MSport, 2015 Chevy SS, 2017 Camaro, 2017 GMC Acadia Denali
1,243 Posts
Wow! Excellent write up! Very useful information for anyone interested in swapping grilles. I went to Black Chrome on my CTS-V Coupe and loved the difference.

·
Registered
CTS V-Sport Premium
8 Posts
So in your opinion do you like the carbon black over the black chrome?

Also to clarify, your upper grill part 23473275 for $128, is that the same part as 23441813 (part 9) just in black chrome? Price is cheap in comparison so not sure if I'm missing something?

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is weird the price difference!

I prefer the carbon. It's more obvious. If you prefer the darker theme on the car without going full black.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's some more pics now that we've had some sunshine in Northern California. In the sun, I think I really like this black chrome.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally installed this as well as the two trim pieces. The black chrome grill definitely looks better than I thought and very well might match the ones on current models with black carbon package. The reason I say this is, I only brought the bezel pieces to the dealer to hold up to the carbon black grills, only to find out once I removed them, that they are THE SAME PART NUMBER AS STOCK VSPORT BEZELS! I recommend replacing them anyway as mine were pretty beat up. See picture.

Installation was about 3 hours plus breaks. Used instructions from this site: https://egclassics.com/uploads/media/products/4884CTSMeshGrillesEGInstructionTemplate.pdf

·
Registered
CTS V-Sport (Red Obsession)
16 Posts
Those look great! I have a close friend who runs a performance / vinyl wrap shop so I am getting the same regions, as well as the trim around the windows wrapped. It should come out to almost the same color as the carbon black you posted above. Ill post pictures when I have the car finished.

I also decided to go with carbon fiber wrap on the lower trim pieces / rear trim as it will provide a sportier look.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I tried wrapping with a black chrome vinyl, it was VERY difficult to work with compared to other vinyl. I was considering having a shop do it, but this grill was so cheap! I've wrapped my lower lip and spoiler in carbon fiber too. Also, my window trim in gloss black.

·
Registered
'16 CTS V-Sport Black/'16 CTS Luxury w/V-Sport Pkg White
5,784 Posts
I finally installed this as well as the two trim pieces. The black chrome grill definitely looks better than I thought and very well might match the ones on current models with black carbon package. The reason I say this is, I only brought the bezel pieces to the dealer to hold up to the carbon black grills, only to find out once I removed them, that they are THE SAME PART NUMBER AS STOCK VSPORT BEZELS! I recommend replacing them anyway as mine were pretty beat up. See picture.

Installation was about 3 hours plus breaks. Used instructions from this site: https://egclassics.com/uploads/media/products/4884CTSMeshGrillesEGInstructionTemplate.pdf
Yeah if you get a chance to look at a V-Sport and a plain CTS side by side you will see V-Sports hockey stick brake duct trim piece is already black chrome, as are the slats in the middle of the grill, it's just the surround that's the galvano satin chrome

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah if you get a chance to look at a V-Sport and a plain CTS side by side you will see V-Sports hockey stick brake duct trim piece is already black chrome, as are the slats in the middle of the grill, it's just the surround that's the galvano satin chrome
They are labeled black chrome, but the color is not as dark as the new grill surround.

·
Registered
CTS V-Sport (Red Obsession)
16 Posts
JetFuel - post those pictures please! I cant wait to see how mine will come out on a Red Obsession V Sport

·
Registered
97 Eldo ETC,98 STS,04 SRX N*,06 STS N*,14 CTS VSport Premium, 17 CTS Vsport Prem Lux
961 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is the black chrome grill what comes with the black carbon package? If so, that's what's on mine. Love it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, big difference there. Do you have the item number for the black carbon? Is only the benzel available? Was looking for the whole grill and bumper inserts in the black carbon as well.

·
Registered
2015 Phantom CTS Vsport
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Registered
2017 Cadillac ATS
1,141 Posts
Reviving this older thread because I’m searching for the outer grill trim piece as seen in this thread. The part numbers listed in this thread are no longer valid except for the complete $560 grill package. I have a 2017 V sport and it appears that my lower hockey sticks and horizontal grill pieces are already black chrome....the only piece that is not is the grill surround.
I found this part number which says black chrome part number 84124872 “black chrome grille surround” for only $123. So will that do it for me?

Thanks,
James

1 - 20 of 34 Posts