Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading the USA Today and saw that for the Jenner accident in California last week all 4 cars in the accident, including Jenner's Escalade, have black box data storage. They plan to access the data to determine who caused the accident.

First of all...pretty cool. But second of all...I'm not so sure I like the idea of my own car ratting on me! Anybody have any details about what info these recorders are recording? Any way to access it? Like track where the kids are hanging out, how fast they're driving, etc.?

·
Registered
2013 Platinum ESV 2015 MB GL550 2008 Hummer H2
1,071 Posts
It was required since September of last year. All new vehicles will come with a data event recorder. It will track the speed the vehicle is traveling and driving behaviors. I am guessing the police can access it and see the speed you were going before getting pulled. I don't like the idea.

The Data event recorder was used to determine how fast a Porsche Carrera GT was going that killed Paul Walker. That found that Rodas was over speeding, 81+ mph on a 35 mph curve.

here is an article about it,
http://www.wired.com/2012/12/black-boxes-privacy/

·
Registered
Escalade ESV
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A shame. When recorders were put in planes, there was the guaranty it would be used for safety only...not for legal or punitive reasons. Otherwise pilots would not fly with them. It seems we have no such guaranty for our cars.

Time to look for the fuse??

1 - 3 of 3 Posts