Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have a magical cure to TOTALLY remove bird droppings from the paint. I have an 08 Black Raven. All is well. The other day at the golf course a bird let loose while I was playing. When I got home I used some water to get off the "hard parts" but notice that there were still some marks on the hood. This was on there for only a few hours, but nothing I have tried seems to get it completely off. It almost looks as though the paint has blistered when in reality it has not. I have used cleaner polish. Nothing! I used a clay bar on the hood, then cleaner polish. Still nothing! So....I am looking for the silver bullet that will do the job. Any help would be sincerely appreciated. However, knowing this forum as I do, please let's not get into a discussion regarding GM paint quality vs any other brand. The paint is GREAT and so is the quality of application. I just want to see what can be done about this "radioactive" bird poop. Thanks!

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD Premium
585 Posts
I had a strange experience with GM's black raven on my Saturn Aura. Same situation with bird droppings . . . they left a mark that looked like it was blistering and after a few hot days in the sun, after I had cleaned it well, it healed itself. That is, the clear coat seems to adjust with direct sun to literally repair itself. I am not suggesting this will happen with you but you might watch to see if a very sunny day will lessen the mark considerably.

·
Registered
2008 CTS 3.6L DI RWD, GMPP new engine 11/2013
2,092 Posts
...knowing this forum as I do, please let's not get into a discussion regarding GM paint quality vs any other brand. The paint is GREAT and so is the quality of application. I just want to see what can be done about this "radioactive" bird poop. Thanks!
Okay, then perhaps we should discuss when and which brand of protection (wax, polymer, etc.) had been applied to your paint prior to the incident? My Zaino'd black raven paint has taken its fair share of bird droppings, but I haven't noticed any lasting ill effects.

I'd try any major-brand "Bug and Tar Remover," if you've not already done so.

·
Registered
2009 CTS DI AWD FE2 CRYSTAL RED TINTCOAT/LIGHT TITANIUM
295 Posts
Here ya go! This info is from the Autopia Car Care Site:

BIRD BOMBS
Without a doubt, one of the most dreaded car care problems we face is the bird. Birds in the air are beautiful to watch fly, but vile to our car's finish. A bird's droppings can quickly cause damage to your paint.

Bird droppings are very acidic (pH 3.5 to 4.5). When bird droppings fall on your paint, the acid begins to burn and etch the paint's surface. The longer the bird droppings remain, the greater the damage.

I've had bird bomb incidents with my Speed Yellow Porsche 996 (the seagulls seem to think it's just a target) that have created damage as deep as 1 to 2 mils. To give you an idea of what that means, notebook paper is approximately 2 mils of thickness. Your car's paint is only 4 to 6 mils thick.

The result of bird dropping damage is a dimple in the paint's surface, often as large as an inch or more in diameter. This damage is permanent, but can easily be repaired.

REPAIRING BIRD POOP DAMAGE
The only way to repair the damage caused by bird droppings is to polish the paint. You must use the paint polish to blend the surrounding paint, bringing it down to the same level as the damaged area. This may sound drastic, but it works very well. The only concern is that you're making the paint thinner, so you must be careful not to polish all the way through to the primer. Do so, and you'll have a more noticeable problem than the one the bird left behind.

Any good paint polish can be used to fix the damage with a fair amount of rubbing. I've found that it's better to start with a fine polishing compound (a scratch remover formula works well, too), followed by a good hand polish.

This diagram shows how the burn from a bird dropping looks on the paint surface. In most cases the burn won't be very deep, but you will see it on the surface of the paint. Polishing helps to level the surrounding paint so the etch mark no longer shows.

PREVENTING BIRD POOP DAMAGE
While it's not really possible to keep birds from bombing your car with their dirty little surprises, you can take steps to limit the damage. The most obvious protection is a car cover (please, not while you're driving!). To limit the damage when you get hit, you need to remove the offending slime as quickly as possible. Don't wait. Get it off of your car.

I've found the best way to clean up after a bird is with a good detailing spray and a cotton terry cloth towel. As I'm a clean car fanatic, anyway, I keep a little detailing kit in the trunk of my car. It holds a spray bottle of quick detailing spray, a couple of towels, and my favorite rubber and vinyl dressing. That's all it takes for me to keep the car looking great. When a bird gets me, I spray the bird droppings with a few shots of detailing spray and wipe it off with the towel, turning the towel as necessary to keep a clean wipe on the car.

Another way to protect your paint from bird damage is to keep your car waxed. While wax offers limited protection against a juicy attack, it makes cleanup much easier. You still need to remove the mess as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
08 CTS RWD with all options
178 Posts
I had tar on my polished front wheel, size of a Tylenol pill, I thought it was a deep scrape, nothing could take it off except a tooth paste on an old flat tooth brush with a little bit of an Arm & Hammer baking soda and a bucket of water.
First brush the area with tooth paste and backing soda together, then dip the tooth brush in the water and brush again, then rinse the area and dry it. It worked for me and didn’t hurt the polished wheel.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
A diluted mixture of baking soda and water will neutralize the acidic effect of the droppings. This will stop paint etching.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming. My car was treated with something called Auto Butler before it was delivered. Since then I have done nothing except wash it and use a detail spray. As I said earlier, in this case first I tried the detail spray. Then I used a clay bar, and Maguires polish. Still some residue. I am reluctant to use any kind of abrasive product including tooth paste since this is on the hood. I will try one or two of these suggestions or some other product that I may find and keep you all posted. Thanks for the help. For me this is the value of this forum.

·
Registered
2014 SRX Premium w/20" chrome
481 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions, please keep them coming. My car was treated with something called Auto Butler before it was delivered. Since then I have done nothing except wash it and use a detail spray. As I said earlier, in this case first I tried the detail spray. Then I used a clay bar, and Maguires polish. Still some residue. I am reluctant to use any kind of abrasive product including tooth paste since this is on the hood. I will try one or two of these suggestions or some other product that I may find and keep you all posted. Thanks for the help. For me this is the value of this forum.
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do with bird droppings that sit on your finish, under the hot sun, for hours. It's as bad as a dried up egg.

Sounds like the droppings may have etched the damage into the paint, past the clear coat. Don't want to rain on you, but there may be nothing you can do to completely correct the damage. Try having a professionsl paint shop take a look at it.

Keep a good coat of wax/polish on the finish, always. It will certainly help minimize the damage and can also prevent permanent marks. I always carry a spray bottle of water, wax, and several microfiber towels. If I see dropping on the car, I don't wait 'till I get home. I'll start cleaning it right in the parking lot.

Good Luck. Hope you can get it corrected.

·
Registered
09 CTS
91 Posts
Keep your car waxed and use hot water and car soap to remove and you should not have a issue. make sure to remove as fast as you can.

·
Registered
2019 CTS
2,898 Posts
If the dealer sold you an aftermarket paint sealant you may want to check with the dealer. Those things usually carry some type of extended coverage if something like this happens. They can at least reseal the area to further protect it. They may also have a way to restore this type of damage.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, that is a good idea. I will be taking it back to the Dealer in a few weeks for a Pennsylvania State inspection, oil change etc. They will also be doing a complete courtesy detail as their way of offsetting previous screw ups. I will have them look at it. Also, the Auto Butler treatment came as part of their pre-delivery work. I am sure that the cost was built in but I did not pay "extra."

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just an update for those of you have given me such good suggestions and help. I just had the entire car detailed at the dealer. Since it is almost a year old now it needed it anyway. Well, the bird dropping damage is almost gone. They even repaired the "damage" that I did trying to rectify the problem! While not 100%, I would say that it is at least 95% gone. The car looks great both inside and out and the fact that they did this free of charge was even better. In any case, thanks for all the help and know that I just love this car. I look forward to driving it every day. I am an old fart and have had many cars over the years, but this is the best one I have ever owned (Domestic or foreign) and that is saying a lot. If GM continues in this manner there are only good things ahead for them. Let's hope so anyway.

·
Registered
08 CTS
359 Posts
Thanks for the update. I had the same thing happen to my Crystal Red a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty good at detailing, and I've used everything I've got and can still see it in certain lights. I'll be working on it some more.

BTW, I had four coats of Zaino on the car and it still etched the clearcoat in less than 24 hours. I got the crap off as soon as I saw it, but it was the next morning the day after I had driven it last.

·
Registered
Cadillac
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the update. I had the same thing happen to my Crystal Red a couple of weeks ago. I'm pretty good at detailing, and I've used everything I've got and can still see it in certain lights. I'll be working on it some more.

BTW, I had four coats of Zaino on the car and it still etched the clearcoat in less than 24 hours. I got the crap off as soon as I saw it, but it was the next morning the day after I had driven it last.
I don't know what they did to mine, but I had four spots on the hood and now I can barely see tiny remanents of just one. However, I kept noticing that there was some sort of haze on the car. I would wipe it off and it would come back withing a few minutes. After a few times of doing that, I just waxed the entire car. Now it looks fine. Some much for a "FREE" detailing. Grandpa always told me, "You get what you pay for."

1 - 14 of 14 Posts