Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Hmm. Might be interesting if I could find a local shop to engrave an emblem or something.

Is this your only post on this or did I miss something in another thread? How much? Feel free to PM me.

----------

HAHA, just crossed my mind... Can you imagine a new member not familiar with this mod, logging in and seeing this thread title? :histeric:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts
Yeah, I've always wondered about that name. :hmm:

·
Registered
2001 seville STS
43 Posts
so what does the Bung plug actually do for the performance of the northstar ? is the bung plug a bypass or a temp fix for some common problem?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Nothing at all for performance.

It eliminates the plastic resonator, making air filter changes and trans fluid checks much easier. Some people also have issues with the resonator creeping out of the intake ducting over time, causing a vacuum leak.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,257 Posts
so what does the Bung plug actually do for the performance of the northstar ? is the bung plug a bypass or a temp fix for some common problem?
===========================
so what does the Bung plug actually do for the performance of the northstar
absolutely nothing -

however - it allows you to remove the horse-collar air silencer -
which "cleans-up" the area -
and makes checking the trans fluid level easier -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,423 Posts
As posted - now you can work in there.

Click a thumbnail to enlarge, use your browser <-- to back out.

Attachments

·
Registered
2007 DTS LuxII, 2008 GMC 2500HD Crew Cab 4x4, 2002 Seville SLS (RIP)
81 Posts
Checking my fluids yesterday I discovered the resonator loose. So I replaced it with the 2" stiff rubber plug from Home Depot, a quick fix. Thanks guys!!

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
I used a smaller chromed bolt for the PCM cover retainer - instead of the rubber cookie Torx bolt.

(Next to "air filter box".)

Many of those resonators never get replaced properly, and an air leak at or after the MAF can result in poor performance, lost fuel mileage, codes, and poor idle quality. There should be NO air leaks in the intake ducting from the MAF to the throttlebody.

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hmm. Might be interesting if I could find a local shop to engrave an emblem or something.

Is this your only post on this or did I miss something in another thread? How much? Feel free to PM me.

----------

HAHA, just crossed my mind... Can you imagine a new member not familiar with this mod, logging in and seeing this thread title? :histeric:
Your mailbox is full...

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
That's a lot of work for an inlet duct plug. Are you paying for these?

·
Registered
2004 SLS
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
That's a lot of work for an inlet duct plug. Are you paying for these?
I would say so....I supplied the machinist a used intake tube for R&D purposes, and I gave him a $20. The tube was $5 from a local junkyard. Shipping was almost $5. Total spent is approx. $30.

Thanks to my investment. We now have a source for quality billet plugs. I'm surprised that such was not done many years earlier.

Support American Jobs...

http://www.ictbillet.com/resonator-tube-delete-plug-2000-04-cadillac-seville-4-6l-intake-plenum-northstar-cap.html

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,257 Posts
I would say so....I supplied the machinist a used intake tube for R&D purposes, and I gave him a $20. The tube was $5 from a local junkyard. Shipping was almost $5. Total spent is approx. $30.

Thanks to my investment. We now have a source for quality billet plugs. I'm surprised that such was not done many years earlier.

Support American Jobs...
=========================
I'm surprised that such was not done many years earlier.
the cap from a can of spray paint is the perfect size -
comes in many colors -
best of all - IT'S FREE -

·
Administrator
68,423 Posts
It was done many years ago - the pipe cap and paint can cap thing has been around since at least 02/2006 - and the cost is either nothing or mere peanuts. I believe that I posted the first pictures of such a modification in early 2007 during a thread discussion on "performance" MAF substitutes. (No, MAF work does exactly nothing positive for power or performance) Now, with the advent of black PVC caps, you have a perfect, matching fit for $1.75.

"Billet" is trick, yes - but just because the thing is machined from solid rod or block - as opposed to being cast and machined - doesn't make it any better, cheaper, or "faster" than many other options.

IF your machinist would like to advertise this item in CF, please have him use the "Advertise" tab to contact Admin concerning Authorized Vendor status.

·
Super Moderator
86,781 Posts
=========================
the cap from a can of spray paint is the perfect size -
comes in many colors -
best of all - IT'S FREE -
A 2 1/2 PVC pipe end cap is even better. Beefier with a nice tight fit so no clamps are required. When done in flat black it almost looks factory. Not free, but close.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts