Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aight, here's the story. It might be a TAD long, but I have to explain everything.

I drive to the mall yesterday, park my car, see a movie. I come out to my car, open my door, the lights come on (as usual) and everything. I sit in my car for a sec letting one of my friends hear this song. Well, after a while into the CD, it cuts off. At the time..I thought nothin was wrong because it cuts off by itself after a while anyways. So I turn the ignition back on, and the CD comes back on. Well then, it cuts off again. I open the door, and the lights dont come on..my power locks wont work..etc. So I thought my battery had died. Keep in mind I am 100% positive I did not leave any lights on in my car or anything. Well, we try to jump start it...wouldnt work. We thought we had bad jumper cables..got a new set..still wouldnt start. Well..I left the car alone for a while and got something to eat..I come back and open the door..and the light on the car comes on. Well then I try to start it, I turn the ignition forward, the lights come on..but it doesnt start. No clicking or nothing. Then, I close the door, try to open it again, and the light wont come back on again.

Anyways, we had to leave it there over night. I came back today, took the battery out, and took it to Sears Automotive Center that was within walking distance. They tested the battery, and said they charged it. So we put the battery back in..and it starts right up. Well now Im home and its in my parking spot.

I just wanna know what the hell could be wrong with it. I thought the battery died..but jump starting it damn sure didnt help at all lol. Someone I know said that in Cadillac's the shocks are different, and they use electricity and if something went wrong with them, they could be draining alot of the battery. (Im not sure if this is true or not..so correct me if I am wrong). I DO recall running over some train tracks a LITTLE to fast..but it wasnt ridiculously fast. So Im not sure about that theory, Im not a big expert on cars anyways.

So if ANYONE can give me suggestions or anything, Id glady appreciate it. (Its a 1992 Deville if that makes any difference)
 

·
Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
Joined
·
1,164 Posts
Crypt0nite said:
Aight, here's the story. It might be a TAD long, but I have to explain everything.

I drive to the mall yesterday, park my car, see a movie. I come out to my car, open my door, the lights come on (as usual) and everything. I sit in my car for a sec letting one of my friends hear this song. Well, after a while into the CD, it cuts off. At the time..I thought nothin was wrong because it cuts off by itself after a while anyways. So I turn the ignition back on, and the CD comes back on. Well then, it cuts off again. I open the door, and the lights dont come on..my power locks wont work..etc. So I thought my battery had died. Keep in mind I am 100% positive I did not leave any lights on in my car or anything. Well, we try to jump start it...wouldnt work. We thought we had bad jumper cables..got a new set..still wouldnt start. Well..I left the car alone for a while and got something to eat..I come back and open the door..and the light on the car comes on. Well then I try to start it, I turn the ignition forward, the lights come on..but it doesnt start. No clicking or nothing. Then, I close the door, try to open it again, and the light wont come back on again.

Anyways, we had to leave it there over night. I came back today, took the battery out, and took it to Sears Automotive Center that was within walking distance. They tested the battery, and said they charged it. So we put the battery back in..and it starts right up. Well now Im home and its in my parking spot.

I just wanna know what the hell could be wrong with it. I thought the battery died..but jump starting it damn sure didnt help at all lol. Someone I know said that in Cadillac's the shocks are different, and they use electricity and if something went wrong with them, they could be draining alot of the battery. (Im not sure if this is true or not..so correct me if I am wrong). I DO recall running over some train tracks a LITTLE to fast..but it wasnt ridiculously fast. So Im not sure about that theory, Im not a big expert on cars anyways.

So if ANYONE can give me suggestions or anything, Id glady appreciate it. (Its a 1992 Deville if that makes any difference)
It sounds like the cables could be loose or corroded. Simple problem with a simple solution, so it's best to check that first. They don't look corroded on the outside, but if you remove the positive battery cable, there is bound to be corrosion in there, and it can cause intermittent power issues as you've described. Just clean up the cables and reinstall them carefully and tightly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you know if the statement about the shocks could be a possibility? I didnt know if the dude knew what he was talking about.
 

·
Registered
'87 SDV
Joined
·
1,296 Posts
This has all the symptoms of a bad ground. If I'm not mistaken, your DeVille has a braided ground strap, and over time, these can fray at the ends. Check that first, and if it appears intact, remove both ends and scuff the connections with a wire brush to clean off any residue. Carefully tighten everything when you re-install.

While you're at it (and while you have the ground unhooked) clean the positive connections just as thoroughly. I'd bet your problem will be solved.
 

·
Registered
'87 SDV
Joined
·
1,296 Posts
Crypt0nite said:
Do you know if the statement about the shocks could be a possibility? I didnt know if the dude knew what he was talking about.
Not likely. The different shocks you've heard about are really nothing more than jazzed up air shocks in the rear that are adjusted by a compressor under the hood. That only runs with the key on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh ok I see.

While I got you guys (yall are really helpful lol), is any of yalls caddy's hard to stop? Not really like hard to stop..but with mine I have to press on the brake a little hard to get it to stop, and Im always afraid Im gonna run into someone. I wasnt sure if I need some new break pads or what. They dont squeek or anything though. Any other car I drive (like my step dads civic), I tap on the break and it slows down alot more. People look at me like an idiot when I drive it cuz Im used to hittin on the breaks harder.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
53 Posts
I had the SAME EXACT THING happen to me. If it is an ACDELCO 75 battery then one of the cables came loose or its a bad ground. The cable comes out far enough where sometimes the elctricity is able to jump the gap but when you stop the gap becomes to large. The cable will seem tight if you try to tighten it with your hand. I took mine to midas and the used a strap wrench and tightened the cables. No problems sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
927 Posts
regarding the brake issue theres a few possibillities

A high idle it should be at around 600-700 at idle with the brake on a high idle will make the car struggle against you when your stopping.

Air in the brakes as mentioned can cause you to step on the brake further down before it brakes.

A hard brake pedal could be a frozen caliper or the slide pins although I'm not positive if their were slide pins on your year caddy but their almost always is a sliding pin of some sort. A frozen pin will make you have to step harder on the pedal and the pedal will also require more effort to press down on it than normal.

There's also the possibility of a bad Master cylinder or bad brake booster but thats not likely.

Check them in order or have them checked in order. It shouldnt be a hard fix if you do it yourself but trust me if you notice the pedal is stiff then something is wrong don't wait until you have a panic stop and you end up hitting someone in the rear fix it a.s.a.p.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
196 Posts
its actually more than a loose cable, the terminal itself on the battery will break on the inside just from corrosion, the light on the battery will still say green because it is a maintenance free battery, but i recommend u chaning to a different battery and it wont happen again
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, I dont have an ACDELCO battery. It happened to me again, my step father took an adjustable wrench, and loosened the cables and he said he saw a spark or something, then he tightened it back up, and the car started right up.

Its weird. Im about to just replace the battery cables and see what happens
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
hogstamogsta said:
its actually more than a loose cable, the terminal itself on the battery will break on the inside just from corrosion, the light on the battery will still say green because it is a maintenance free battery, but i recommend u chaning to a different battery and it wont happen again
I'll be damned that happened to me last night which prompted me to join this forum!

The positive cable had corroded so bad the post broke right off and shorted the battery out!! Imagine my surprise when I had no owners manual and was looking under the hood for the battery this AM! I am a car noob, I admit it. Who would put the battery in the car under the rear seat! When my wife and I smelled the sulfur, she accused me of cutting the cheese.
 

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
Joined
·
86,783 Posts
I think the battery went under the rear seat for lack of realestate under the hood. Additionally, it stays warmer in the winter and more importantly, cooler in the summer.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
I had a battery go bad on me. When it happened I was just closing the gate at my driveway, I shut the car off, went to turn it back on and just got a click. All kinds of weird things happened with the interior lights, radio etc. Then the key got stuck in the ignition. I could not get it out, neither could the guy who camed to tow it. He attempted to jump it without any luck. Apparently the computer needs quite a bit of power in order to operate the car properly. That's what I am guessing. new battery and started like a champ.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top