Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone with a 'level' kit or torsion keys and rear spacers to fit larger tires ?
looking to go 33 or 34" on 18's....
Anyone have pics, set up, or advice ?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,422 Posts
It's an interesting idea, but the emissions, transmission, engine, instrument panel, stability and ABS systems need to be modified to compensate for the increased tire outside diameter. Individual wheel speeds and speedometer are only two of the problems involved with messing with tire OD.

A 34" OD tire on an 18" wheel (!!) would have so much sidewall flex that handling and safety would be grossly compromised. (and it would look like a swamp buggy)

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Escalade ESV awd, 05 Yukon Xl Denali awd, 06 SRX sold
1,852 Posts
Im sure its been done but by no one here apparently, try 4 wheel parts or a place like that, and a simple programmer should take care of the vehicle's computer adjustments needed for larger tires

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I went a size larger on the stock18's and I suggest if you do that get truck tires if you go larger then stock tires
Now your speedo may be a bit off but not much due to the difference in tires

My truck didn't wallow due to the extra sidewall and the tires lasted a lot longer then I expected(still have them just ain't running them on the truck)

The only problem is finding a shop that can get tires in the size you would want

·
Registered
EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's an interesting idea, but the emissions, transmission, engine, instrument panel, stability and ABS systems need to be modified to compensate for the increased tire outside diameter. Individual wheel speeds and speedometer are only two of the problems involved with messing with tire OD.

A 34" OD tire on an 18" wheel (!!) would have so much sidewall flex that handling and safety would be grossly compromised. (and it would look like a swamp buggy)
LOLOLOLOL Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever heard....I'm talking about a 2"-3" lift and one size bigger tires. I have trucks with 6-8" lifts 22" rims and 40" tires...I'm not new to the 'swamp buggy' thing...
I can't imagine what you would think if I was asking to upgrade to 26" rims and 25 series tires..I'm sure you would find another factory system that would not allow it....

I'm going to get Good Year Duratacs, best off road looking tires that love the pavement (read up on them if you don't know) they are easily and readily available in all sizes...not sure why everyone thinks I'm asking some crazy question

Guess I'll go over to the tahoe denali or GM pick up forums..just wanted to know how much I had to go up in the front to clear the bigger rubber, find it amazing that no one has added torsion keys.

·
Registered
Escalade 2003
24 Posts

You're overestimating what it takes to lift a truck. The engine and transmission will be fine. You can tune the computer to compensate for the taller tire easily, and this will correct the inputs for the stability control and ABS. Those systems typically read wheel speed, so long as the tires are the same diameter the system will work normally.

·
Registered
EXT
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So anyone still hasn't lifted their escalade with larger tires ?
35's are too big, I'm thinking 33" ...can the factory torsion keys be turned up or do I need to get replacements ? Going to even out the rear with a ready lift spring spacer but not sure if I need the keys or the originals can be used..?
Anyone ??? Cadillac man ...???

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
tturbonegro said:
So anyone still hasn't lifted their escalade with larger tires ? 35's are too big, I'm thinking 33" ...can the factory torsion keys be turned up or do I need to get replacements ? Going to even out the rear with a ready lift spring spacer but not sure if I need the keys or the originals can be used..? Anyone ??? Cadillac man ...???
Now if you want to adjust the factory I would be careful as the higher you raise it the front end alignment would get effected and cause uneven wear on the tires

You may have to get different keys if you raise it higher then the stock keys allow(not sure how much they allow)

·
Registered
Escalade 2003
24 Posts
You may have the physical space for a 33 with a torsion key, but the squareness of the wheel well will require trimming for steering clearance. This isn't specific to the Cadillac, this goes for all GMT800 trucks. Depending on your budget, Skyjacker makes a 3" lift that will fit a 33" tire.

·
Registered
2004 Escalade EXT
17 Posts
I'm looking to go almost 33s. Maybe after the winter though. I just got the truck and has these ugly 22" rims on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts