Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I was driving today and I notice that my oil pressure light keeps coming on while going up hills and occasionally when starting out. It is only for a second or so, and goes away. So I pull over and check the oil, well, there is none on the dipstick.... I know that it has been smoking occasionaly when I accelerate, but it has for the past month now and I just checked the oil on Thursday. I had to put 2 and 1/2 quarts in to get it back to normal range ( where it was on Thursday). Then about half way home as I am stopping for a light, I notice the car is shaking violently, like it was choking out almost. I also notice after that there is a big drop in power. It is still shaking as I pull into my driveway, but when I put it in park, it stops shaking... so I put it in reverse and it starts shaking again. Things I have not yet checked are: Plugs, Wires, anything else related to ignition, O2 sensor, maf/map sensor, compression test. I also noticed that the exhaust smells rich, there is no scent of anti-freeze but I did have to add about a quart of it when I put the oil in. Air filter was changed 3 weeks ago, oil was changed at the same time. There is a slight valve tick, sounds like a lifter but you can never be sure until you get in there. Ohh, and the car is a 91 Brougham, and I need suggestions on what to check first, also any ideas on what it could be besides rings, ignition, or BHG would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a similar problem with my '87 5.0L Brougham.

I have been burning a quart of oil with every tank of gas. (18 Gal)

2 weeks ago the car started shaking like you had mentioned, I could tell
that one of the cylinders was not firing but, I had just replaced the
plugs, wires, rotor, and distributer cap 5,000 miles ago !!!

needless to say I feared the worst had happened.

It turned out to be a worn valve guide is what was causing my problems
The worn guide allows oil to seep into the combustion chamber where
it is burned with the air/fuel mixture, which leaves a sooty residue all
over your spark plug. Given time, the spark plug will cease to function
and you are running on 7/8 cylinders causing loss of power and rough
running conditions.

It would seem our situations are similar enough to warrant you checking each
spark plug one at a time,(or just replace them while you are getting grease
under your fingernails anyway)

the suspect plug will look like it has been dipped in tar and then set on fire lol

I hope this helps in some way.
Pwrhse

on a side note, I switched to 20W50 oil (thicker) and my oil consumption
has noticeably improved.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Simple Me said:
Ok, I was driving today and I notice that my oil pressure light keeps coming on while going up hills and occasionally when starting out. It is only for a second or so, and goes away. So I pull over and check the oil, well, there is none on the dipstick.... I know that it has been smoking occasionaly when I accelerate, but it has for the past month now and I just checked the oil on Thursday. I had to put 2 and 1/2 quarts in to get it back to normal range ( where it was on Thursday). Then about half way home as I am stopping for a light, I notice the car is shaking violently, like it was choking out almost. I also notice after that there is a big drop in power. It is still shaking as I pull into my driveway, but when I put it in park, it stops shaking... so I put it in reverse and it starts shaking again. Things I have not yet checked are: Plugs, Wires, anything else related to ignition, O2 sensor, maf/map sensor, compression test. I also noticed that the exhaust smells rich, there is no scent of anti-freeze but I did have to add about a quart of it when I put the oil in. Air filter was changed 3 weeks ago, oil was changed at the same time. There is a slight valve tick, sounds like a lifter but you can never be sure until you get in there. Ohh, and the car is a 91 Brougham, and I need suggestions on what to check first, also any ideas on what it could be besides rings, ignition, or BHG would be greatly appreciated.
I have a 91 also and had the same problems you had. Most 305's in the 91's have pre-mature oil ring failure and foul the plugs. I pulled the motor and sold it to a street rodder. I then bought a GM 350 crate motor and have put 35,000 miles on it. Don't repair your 305. Buy a new crate motor and also get a 3yr. 50,000 mile warranty. I paid $1500 for the new motor.

Good Luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
zikuslt1