Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2011 DTS super traveller
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I was thinking about my past cars & I liked them all, especially the big ones. Quiet, smooth, with something close to a full sized basketball court in the back seat!

I think that's we see so many trucks today on the road... people like safer, smoother, & bigger. And silent! Like first class airline seats or a cruise ship.

Twenty- five years ago, my fixer upper '73 Newport 400 ci 4-door got 21 mpg on the road & started on the coldest mountain mornings. But I no longer want buy old fixer upper cars that someone greatly ignored.

So, why has Cadillac quit nice, big sedans? That's their legacy, right?

Soon we will purchase a nice used Cadillac. The DTS feels just big enough. I wish it had more shoulder room but it will primarily be my wife's car.

·
Super Moderator
2003 Deville Base
5,149 Posts
Yeah, I mourn the loss of that legacy.

that said, I'm having trouble believing a 400ci Newport getting 21mpg.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Maybe the CT6 will satisfy your desire for big. Or maybe there is something even bigger coming down the pike.

·
Registered
Gone; ‘09 V, ‘13 V coupe. Curr; ‘14 PG Vsport prem w/Kona interior
6,177 Posts
^^Yep. Within a few years Cadillac will offer big(ger) luxury cruisers and smaller, lighter luxury performance vehicles.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,854 Posts
:yeah: That IS rather hard to swallow.
========================================
That IS rather hard to swallow
why?
doesn't your "new" RR get around the same kind of mileage? :histeric::burn::lawl:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,185 Posts
Best I got when driving it home from DTW was 16-17 and that's with a 383 and a 3.23 rear end.
Might get 21 drafting a semi (assuming he'd let you stay there long enough).

·
Registered
1992 Fleetwood S&S Hearse, 1993 Buick Roadmaster
567 Posts
There is something about a big car. My all-around favorite car so far would have to be my 1993 Lincoln Town Car. It got up to speed well enough for a big car, had no trouble passing anything, and had the smoothest ride of any car I've ever owned - yes, even smoother than my current Fleetwood. To me, I'd think of my Fleetwood as a car at the larger end of the mid-sized spectrum, though I would imagine it was considered a full-size car at it's time. Don't really know - but the Lincoln was definitely larger than my Fleetwood when it was originally built as a passenger car.

·
Registered
Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS
13,792 Posts
Interestingly, bot the '56 and the '60 Fleetwoods got 20 mpg when on the open road.

·
Registered
ZIP
51,864 Posts
Those 90s Town Cars rode incredibly cushy. But there was zero ride control. My litmus test was always coming down the hill on I93 N approaching Montvale Ave in Stoneham. You would hit the first bridge joint and bob about 3 times before hitting the bridge joint on the other side. That car would bob about 7 times, in total. In other words, a total joke.

I got very, very good at modulating the brake to limit body motions. Still, a royal pain in the rear.

Today's Town Car is not as soft and floaty, but still smooth. And infinitely more controlled. And infinitely better in the snow, as well...

·
Registered
2006 DTS
200 Posts
I greatly enjoy my DTS. Have test driven a Grand Marquis, also very nice but a different experience with rwd and spartan dashboard. The current sedan market looks boring to me. Need to get back to longer, lower, wider.

·
Registered
Past: 95 Fleetwood, 91 Brougham. Now: 92 Lexus SC300
5,418 Posts
The old big Cadillacs did have a certain "presence" that's been missing from Cadillac's lineup for a long time. Granted they've made some very striking cars under this "arts & science" styling(XLR and 2nd gen CTS are my favorites), but their "big" cars have been painfully boring IMO since they discontinued the Fleetwood back in 1996.

I'm withholding judgement on the new CT6 until I see it in person, not sure if its going to be the size of a 5 series BMW, or a legitimate long wheelbase Benz S-class in terms of size/presence. I'm hoping it gets back to some of that big Cadillac swagger like the cars of the late 60's/70's

·
Registered
2006 DTS
200 Posts
The 2nd gen CTS is really nice. And now with depreciation, somewhat affordable. The DTS has a livery reputation at this point. But as a car to drive, it delivers the big car feel with decent driving dynamics.

·
Registered
2011 DTS super traveller
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
21 mpg occurred during a perfect road trip across Texas during the fall of '90. With today's corn gas at best it would probably only get 19 MPG.

The 400 ci was a low compression 383, it was an auto manufacturer's concession to try lowering emissions (very sad time for American motors). Worse, was the 2 barrel crab. Anyway, it took a couple years to give that elephant of a car an incredible tune-up and the TLC paid off... eventually it ran nice and became a pretty nice ride once again. I'm still a little mad at my friend's kid brother for messing it up... LOL!

·
Registered
1992 DeVille, 2013 ATS 3.6
2,366 Posts
Aron9000 said:
The old big Cadillacs did have a certain "presence" that's been missing from Cadillac's lineup for a long time. Granted they've made some very striking cars under this "arts & science" styling(XLR and 2nd gen CTS are my favorites), but their "big" cars have been painfully boring IMO since they discontinued the Fleetwood back in 1996... I'm hoping it gets back to some of that big Cadillac swagger like the cars of the late 60's/70's
I whole heartedly agree

1 - 16 of 16 Posts