Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
tell me how it is I might be interested in getting it. I see MTS referes to it as THE cad book to get but haven't heard any first hand about it.
I know Cad500 says the Chiltons Manual is the one to get. dont waste the $15 on it save it for the factoy service manual that the dealers use

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Chilton will deal with factory specs. The Big Inch Cadillac book deals with performance builds. A factory service or a Chiltons would be good for a stock motor.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
I dont think its even good for that. because every thing I wanted to look up, if it was there at all, said see a dealer. I knew the diffenance between the chiltons and the Big inch cad and Cad500 listed them both as the books to get. I personaly havent had much luck with eiter Haynes or Chiltons

·
Banned
23 Posts
The link above shows pics of the first book. I have the first book. There is now a new revised book that I have not seen or heard much about yet. Anybody have it and care to comment?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
got it yet?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
you better :D

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I finally got it.:D It's got lots of good info. I recommend it highly for anyone who's planning a 472/500 build.
Vern,
What is supposed to be different about the newer book? The book I have looks just like the one that's listed on the site above.
Does the book that you have, have the Q-Jet carb info near the back? I think I remember someone saying that was the difference between the old and new.

Attachments

·
Banned
23 Posts
lux
Sorry been offline but now I am back on my new cable modem and it is way cool. Mine is definately the old book and I do not remember any Q-jet info in the back but I have not looked at it in awhile and don't have it here. I will check though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have the book. I thought it might be a help for my 470 h.p. 425CI project. Watch out for some typos in there. Where he talks about the piston cutouts being on one side if the rod bearing tabs are on the other side. he has that backwards and it left me staring at that darn piston for about 20 minutes before I realized he was wrong. If you want the exact page and quote in question,ask me and I'll get the book out and tell you the page and the way it should read. There was another typo in there also that I can't remember off-hand but I'll find it for you also if you want...Otherwise the book is useful for a big inch project:D

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Angela Desmond said:
I have the book. I thought it might be a help for my 470 h.p. 425CI project. Watch out for some typos in there. Where he talks about the piston cutouts being on one side if the rod bearing tabs are on the other side. he has that backwards and it left me staring at that darn piston for about 20 minutes before I realized he was wrong. If you want the exact page and quote in question,ask me and I'll get the book out and tell you the page and the way it should read. There was another typo in there also that I can't remember off-hand but I'll find it for you also if you want...Otherwise the book is useful for a big inch project:D
Thanks for the "heads up" on the typos.....I'll have to make sure that I read it carefully.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
4 Participants
lux hauler