Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else wonder why the oil filter on our trucks is about the same size as the one on my Craftsman mower? With the long interval between changes, I think I would feel more comfortable knowing that my oil filter had more media surface area available for filtration. Anyone else know why GM spec'd such a small filter?

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I use synthetic oil but isn't the filter there to remove contaminants? Seems like filtration is important regardless of the oil type, but maybe I'm missing something

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,900 Posts
Modern engine manufacturing methods, modern engine oil formulation, oil filter technology, PCV systems, and lead-free gasolines have allowed the oil filter to become much smaller. The miniscule amount of microscopic dust trapped by today's filters bears NO resemblance to the crud that was in one even as recent as the 70's. Yes, today's filters aren't much bigger than a beer can - but the work they do is incredible........... in this case, bigger is not always better.

Here's some homework ...........

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/

http://www.minimopar.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

Here's a HD filter from the late 60s alongside one from 2000 and later.

Attachments

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
I have used and sold Amsoil for many, many years and there is a longer filter, it takes the change from 15,000 to 25,000 miles, the longer filter is EaO17, the standard filter is Ea15K50, it's about twice as long, no clearance issues, though I do not use the longer filter on my ctsv because it's lowered and would be the first thing to hit, no issue on an Escalade

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
That's funny, Carl! My dealer price is like $4 cheaper for the larger filter.

·
Registered
2008 Escalade ESV
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have used and sold Amsoil for many, many years and there is a longer filter, it takes the change from 15,000 to 25,000 miles, the longer filter is EaO17, the standard filter is Ea15K50, it's about twice as long, no clearance issues, though I do not use the longer filter on my ctsv because it's lowered and would be the first thing to hit, no issue on an Escalade
Thanks hcvone, I think I will be switching to the larger filter.

·
Registered
2014 S550, 2018 XT5 Platinum, 2019 XT4 Sport :)
1,731 Posts
The SRX 3.0 and 3.6 use the exact same filter as the Escalade. I use the WIX XP on both. I usually change the Oil twice a year..... Its just me....

·
Registered
2009 Escalade Luxury
3 Posts
Small oil filters... They scare the dickens out of Me too. I used to buy the truck filter for My V/8 Chev engines, they were like 10 inches long and 4 inches
in diameter, and hoped they'd be good for the recommended 1,000 mile recommended change. By then, the oil was charcoal-black molasses. Those engines
seldom got more than 100,000 miles before they were in need of a complete rebuild.
Today, we have 400+ HP Escalade engines getting 15K+ oil changes. It began with unleaded gas in 1975, and has evolved, because of government mandated MPG standards over the years, into gasoline that's burning almost as clean as propane, especially in California. The inside of the exhaust pipes in Cali cars
have NO soot, they're as clean as if they've never been used. No more lead slipping past the rings into the crankcase and into the oil. No more unspent gasses
slipping anywhere.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
Larger doesn't always mean better. :)
In this case it does, it's the same synthetic filter material with more surface area to filter for a longer time, it is warrantied for 10,000 miles more too

·
Registered
2009 EXT Lux White Diamond
140 Posts
Mobile 1 Filter specified: M-113 or M1-113 - its the "small" one.

Mobile 1 "Long" filter: M-212

The Stamp your looking for on the plate that screws onto the receiver on the engine is "ZZ".

I always use the Long filters, even when I had my Avalanche 5.3 and 6.0, I tow a lot in the summer, and the extra surface area cant be bad...as for "big isnt always better"...my 2013 Lexus GS350 has an even bigger filter element than the M-212...so did my 2008 BMW 528i...both of those vehicles are 10-15,000 mile oil intervals.

We have big engines...I cant see how a filter the same size as for a 2.8 or 3.0L car engine is supposed to provide our 6.2l with the same efficiency/capacity. I think it came down to laziness on the design side...really :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts