Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My timing belt jumped, and is now at the stealership. whoever can guess how many bent valves my 01 cat has wins a free bent valve to turn into a keychain or whatever. i have one clue, the rpms were at 2500 at failure.
small print....i am limited to the amount of valves that actually fail, so the first correct answers WIN!!! free shipping to continental usa.
good luck, robert:yup:
PS i'll let you know the results when i get them.

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2-valves

How many miles were on the engine?

Did your car ever have the timing-belt pulley TSB performed?
thats not very encouraging...."how many miles WERE on the engine" there are 66,000 miles. i've had the cat for 10,000 and don't know if the tensioner or timing belt were serviced previously.
robert:histeric:
btw the reason i can be somewhat jovial, is it is covered under my extended warranty.:bouncy:

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
I'll take a stab at it. Without knowing how many pistons are in their intake or exhaust strokes any any given time, and what valves might open when the camshafts come to rest, but taking the relatively low revs into account, I'll guess SIXTEEN.

Elvin

PS: Glad to hear the warranty people stepped up.

·
Registered
'97 Forest Green Catera
674 Posts
2-valves

Did your car ever have the timing-belt pulley TSB performed?
Warez,

It was my understanding that only the 97 and 98 had the TSB. At least, if I look at Alldata, I see the "Extended engine component" notice only for 97 and 98. By 2001 MY, I thought they got the pulley/timing belt issues ironed out, although all timing belts need replacement at intervals depending on the service (cold weather starts and overheating are murder on Cateras).

Barry

·
Registered
484 Posts
Warez,

It was my understanding that only the 97 and 98 had the TSB. At least, if I look at Alldata, I see the "Extended engine component" notice only for 97 and 98. By 2001 MY, I thought they got the pulley/timing belt issues ironed out, although all timing belts need replacement at intervals depending on the service (cold weather starts and overheating are murder on Cateras).

Barry
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/1135184-post10.html

The 97' and 98's had some other recall (or TSB, I'm not sure) regarding the tensioner failing.

The 99-01 had a TSB for the timing belt, all pulleys and the waterpump. But not the tensioner.

My car had the TSB done. Take that TSB # to a Caddy dealer to see if you car had it done.

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK the saga continues. its been over two weeks at the shop. the warranty company didn't believe my mechanic. so it was towed over to cadillac, where they believe the mechanics. the extended warranty company finally approved the estimate. :helpless:
new timing belt
all new tensioners and pulleys
possiblity of up to 24 valves and machine shop work for cylinders
oil
antifreeze
etc....
the total approved.......$4600.00
thank god for the extended warranty:yup:
i think i would be very disenchanted with my cat purchase if it wasn't for the warranty.
will update you all when i get the final tally on how many valves went.
thanks, robert:D

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
My 98 cat broke the timing belt at 1,000 RPM had the belt and tensioners changed, and had no bent valves. total repair at the dealership $375.00. My guess is 8

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
last chance to enter big contest, with free prize of bent valves. the answer will be given monday oct. 1:bomb:

·
Registered
2001 catera
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
the total bent valves is in.....drum roll........the envelope says......16.....
elvin is the winner!!! elvin please contact me, so i can send your prize. one free bent valve.
sorry to all those who didn't win, but you certainly have a good chance of getting your own bent valves major head work. keep and eye on those timing belts and tensioners.
good luck, robert:yup:

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Wow, I win a bent valve. I want to thank my parents for having confidence in me and teaching me to count to 16. I want to also thank my highschool woodshop teacher for nothing. We didn't have an autoshop. Lastly I want to send a big thank you to GM for designing the crappy cambelt tensioner without which I couldn't have won. Now why couldn't this have been a Powerball Lottery?

I'll send my ship to info in a PM. The bent valve will have a place of honor next to my diecast models much to my girlfriend's chagrin. She hates my models too. It will be a reminder to change my tensioner & belt soon.

Thanks..........Elvin

1 - 20 of 21 Posts