Cadillac Owners Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts
The LT5 was Mercury Marine engineered. Exspensive to make, maintain and work on. That is why it was limited. Very cool motor indeed, but you guys can have it.
I like my BB/SB Mass produced, cheap and with lots of aftermarket support. I do however, pefer fuel injection.

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
The LT5 was developed with Lotus so I'd be amazed if it's actually reliable...

Having said that, a friend of mine had an old ZR1 and with nothing more than an some basic intake and exhaust work, a chip and new rear gears, he's running v. high 11s and it's always been trouble free...

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
They were only rated at 375-405 hp, which puts it right in the base C5/C6 Corvette territory, but seeing as how it's DOHC 32V, it must pull like a freight train on the high end. There's a video on Youtube of a C6 Z06 and a C4 ZR1 racing and the ZR1 pulls away from the Z06, even with it being down 100 hp.

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
I like the size and pure grunt of a big block, so I'd love to own one. My own 4.9 is a small block, though, and I've never been disappointed in any sense whatsoever with the torque delivery.

·
Registered
1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX
34,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I learned something new and very cool about the LT-5 last week. It has the modern day equivalent of "secondaries".

To quote the 1993 brochure:

"Perhaps the most intriguing aspect of the LT5 V8 is it's ability to combine high RPM power with a smooth, refined around-town attitude. A dual mode induction system contains the secret of this tractable nature. Within each cylinder, the intake and exhaust ports, valves and cam lobes are divided into two groups, the primary and secondary. Below half throttle, or 3000 rpm, the engine breathes through the primary ports only. So operation, in effect, is on three valves per cylinder.

But put your foot down, and you unleash the full potential of ZR-1. The "secondaries" open and the LT5 is running on all 16 injectors and 32 valves. The secondary intake valves are actuated by came lobes with more duration than the primaries, providing true variable valve timing, for impressive low speed and high speed characteristics in a single engine.

Pretty neat having variable valve timing driven by a second, longer lobe of the camshaft!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just found a 427 talk deck. Guy want 700 for it. Worth it? Its a runner.
Needs some cleaning but shes complete. Thinking on getting it.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,863 Posts
I just found a 427 talk deck. Guy want 700 for it. Worth it? Its a runner.
Needs some cleaning but shes complete. Thinking on getting it.
===================
I just found a 427 talk deck
the thread you are responding to died 11 YEARS ago -

what's a "talk deck"?

·
Registered
11 Posts
My phone screen is cracked. And autocorrect likes to choose my words. Tall deck. Not talk.
I just joined not long ago.

·
Registered
Something German S, 69 Eldorado, 68 Impala, If I tell you the rest, well
504 Posts
Big block. On a side note I think flathead motors are sexy

I see it died. Not being on the site for a while and new board.....

41 - 52 of 52 Posts