Cadillac Owners Forum banner
3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  globed70 
#1 ·
I just returned from IAS in LA which is traditionally an import tuner show. I was shocked to see some bitchin (Am I dating myself?) CTS Vs.

I was fortunate to meet Chuck Mallett and view an example of his very fine Mallett CTS V. His option list is sick. Penske adjustable coil overs anyone? How about a 7.0 liter C5R motor with twin turbos? Check out www.mallettcars.com You won't be dissappointed.

I also saw a pair of Lund Cadillac's CTS. They had two blown cars - one with a six and one V with a Paxton. The six had a sweet set of Eibach coilovers and sway bars. Very nice indeed. Jay runs the performance program and you can tell he is passionate about the whole program. Cool guy. The cool stuff is coming......

#3 ·
Depends on what you want. There is a serious option list for both the Mallett and Lund versions. Each one has proprietary versions of suspension, engine and apperance packages that they have developed. You basically get to choose the level of performance you are looking for. Both seemed to retain all of the original caddy options. There wasn't a set package price.....or maybe I forgot to ask.

#8 ·
My guess is $10,000 for the basic package.

G
#9 ·
I must not crack open my check book to crack open the engine on my daily driver.:banghead:
I must not crack open my check book to crack open the engine on my daily driver.:banghead:

Resistance is futile. :lildevil:

#10 ·
What does 10k get you though? If it only adds 60-70 at the wheels it's a waste at that price, especially if you have to get their horrendous body kit and embroidery (and ship your car to Ohio for days).

What does the CTS-V dyno at anyhow, I've heard a variety of results, anyone have actual hard numbers from a slip?

- Cal

#11 ·
Dyno's have shown 315 to 330 rwhp. You could duplicate the Mallett upgrades for roughly $6,000. Stabilizer bars, Cam, Heads, Headers, Exhaust, Dyno Tune and labor. If I had 10 large burning a hole in my pocket it would be tempting.

#12 ·
Just my 2c based on experiance. Wait until a blower kit becomes available. You will have 500 horses on tap, no cam,no headers, no jury rigging and the undependability along with the high price tag. I was getting 440 horses and 385 at the wheels with a bone stock lt-1. All it had was a turbocharger and a cat back exhaust

#13 ·
I sent Mallett an email tonight. My questions are below:

MALLETT CTS-V STANDARD FEATURES
  • 5.7L (346 cid) LS6, 471 HP @ 6000, 433 lb-ft @ 4600
  • CUSTOM PORTED LS6 HEADS, FLOW & CC MATCHED
  • MALLETT "D" PORT STAINLESS HEADERS
  • MALLETT FRONT/REAR PERFORMANCE STABILIZER BARS
  • EXCLUSIVE MALLETT BODY GRAPHICS
  • MALLETT GRAPHICS EMBROIDERED ON SEAT HEADRESTS
  • MALLETT SERIAL NUMBER PLAQUE
What is the cost of the conversion above?
You don't do any exhaust modifications, other than headers to achieve the 471 HP?
How have you dealt with wheel hop issues and the added HP and TQ?
What is the turn-around time on a conversion? Is there a waiting list, etc.?
Is the above guaranteed for 2yrs/24k and does this also void the factory warranty for the engine?

#15 ·
I am traveling right now but when I return I can relay pricing. Chuck Mallett gave me a price sheet. As stated above, the option list is quite extensive and price will depend on how fast you want to go, how quick you want to stop, how fast you want to go around a corner and what compromises on ride quality you will accept. The car I saw looked like a "limited production" package that is much more than bolting on the garden variety bits and pieces to make a similar "on paper" package. Keep in mind that it takes a lot of work to make a complete package that works well together. Chuck has been working closely with Cadillac since the inception of the V. Many of his modifications are proprietary and you will pay for that. Or, you can try to re engineer the car yourself without the extensive resources the Mallett team has. I've done this before and it ain't cheap - not to mention a considerable waste of time.

Also, Lund is almost ready to launch the Paxton supercharger kit. It is completely under the factory hood and it looked very well engineered. For those of you looking for bolt on simplicity this may be the route to go. According to Jay Alverez at Lund it is good for 520 at the rear wheels. A friend of mine and Jay will be racing the car at Silverstate next month. These guys have been tuning the cts series since inception as well.

#16 ·
Mallet is still working on various street and track suspension packages. They are also looking at the bushings, trying to determine whether a spacer or something may alleviate some of the wheel hop. Keep in mind that predictable street handling, reasonable ride, and poor road complaince will all be affected by any changes to the suspension.... a really tight rear (no offense) may help with wheel hop, but leave you white knuckled going around real world corners. GNSCOTT and I had an on-line discussion on the roadfly board about this and other things under his airbag post. Dan

#17 ·
The wheel hop issue is being addressed by GM and Mallett. The fix will be available soon. I suggest waiting for the right fix rather than trying bushings and or springs/shocks/airbags. GM has already tried them. The fix will be retrofitable and tested.

#18 ·
Uber-V said:
The wheel hop issue is being addressed by GM and Mallett. The fix will be available soon. I suggest waiting for the right fix rather than trying bushings and or springs/shocks/airbags. GM has already tried them. The fix will be retrofitable and tested.
Well, the Mallet folks are nice people, and have said that they are looking at spacers for some of the subframe bushings as a start, and performance suspension components as a next step... the whole idea being to stiffen the rear-end of the car (and all the downsides and $$$ that go with that). And GM is offering performance shocks (available soon) at all 4 corners to tighten up handling (and reduction in comfrot for $$$), but they have NOT been purposely designed for wheel hop (per GMPD). I love the facts... so, how then is GM addressing this issue?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.