Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd greatly appreciate insights & tips from those that have way more knowledge & experience with these than I do.

I am looking to purchase a low or relatively low mileage AWD Escalade of the 2007-2014 vintage. I have no problem doing all my own mechanical & electrical work & maintenance, and would plan on keeping it for a long time.

With my present level of research & learning: I am leaning towards looking for a 2009, for the following reasons:

-No Active fuel management (for engine wear reasons). Excludes 2010+, and I don't want early 2007 with active fuel management hardware.
-E85 compatible: Not that I plan to run E85, but I like the added fuel system alcohol resistance / durability.
-Blind spot detection system
-MRC shocks. (could be + or -, but I'm OK with putting new ones on, if it needs them)

Please correct any errors in my info. Are there other major differences that I should consider. Are there good reasons to consider any other other specific years?

Are there new design teething problems in the transmission / electrical or other systems that would make it wise to avoid 2007-2008 ?

·
Registered
2009 Escalade Lux AWD; 2005 STS N*AWD 1SG
353 Posts
I have loved my 2009. It's got 113k miles and everything works, everything looks great, and rides smooth. I love the rain sense auto wipers, the rear DVD entertainment, the blind spot warning system (which doesn't like heavy rain storms), the power running boards, and the magnetic ride control with air powered load leveling. Even without the systems that shut off cylinders, I still get over 18 mpg on the freeways.
We've been considering upgrading to an ESV. If you're looking for one like mine, I might be looking to sell soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great info, I really appreciate it. Thanks Nate!

Keep 'em coming guys, I really want to learn more about these great machines ...

·
Super Moderator
2010 Platinum Escalade, 1996 Fleetwood Brougham
6,471 Posts
2009 was the best optioned escalade, but, they're 10yrs old now. Lots of technology that could potentially fail.

·
Registered
2009 Escalade Lux AWD; 2005 STS N*AWD 1SG
353 Posts
2009 was the best optioned escalade, but, they're 10yrs old now. Lots of technology that could potentially fail.
But easily repaired (at least for this shade tree mechanic)...
Besides, the track records on the new 2015+ Escalade tell a different story. One filled with worse reliability and more repairs on technology that still isn't top end.
If I do swap to an ESV, it will stay in the 2007-2014 vintage.

·
Registered
2009 AWD Escalade Ultra Luxury Raven Black
1,800 Posts
But easily repaired (at least for this shade tree mechanic)...
Besides, the track records on the new 2015+ Escalade tell a different story. One filled with worse reliability and more repairs on technology that still isn't top end.
If I do swap to an ESV, it will stay in the 2007-2014 vintage.
Yes. I'd call it "old tech" more than anything, and the parts are readily available for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the additional details.

On the 2007s, is there a way to identify which ones had the early engines with the AFM hardware, and which ones are later without it? Either by VIN# or visually under the hood?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts