Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
'94 FWB; '94 STS
136 Posts
haha.. Innovative, but goofy looking.

And is it just me, or did every informational film in the 50s and 60s use the same narrator? That voice is trademark.

·
Registered
1970 calais coupe
346 Posts
Great old clip...

first part though shows how to extract a Caddy from a tight park....

not how to park the car...

the last bit where the car parks in the garage....

drivers door looks pretty close to the wall for the driver to manage to get out...

that said, I grew up seeing those sort of matinee previews of the glorious future (especially the marvel that was to be the 21st century) and what a rip off its turned out to be...

I want my moving sidewalks and flying car...

flat screen tellys and ipad don't quite cut it..

·
Registered
1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t
3,013 Posts
I thought that shot of it parking in the garage, if there was a weedeater on the back you could trim your shrubs as well.

·
Registered
Orange And Purple Lights.
6,632 Posts
Well, when I was a much younger lad and we visited large cities like New York, my father taught me how to parallel park. From what I gather, the larger vehicle (1991 Suburban, in that case, or 1987 Cadillac in mine) is to put it's front area into the parking space as evenly as possible, leaving the rear wheels on the street. Then, you turn your front wheels to be parallel with the road again and slowly move forwards until your front bumper is touching the vehicle in front of you. Floor it. Move the car until there is room to fit your car in there parallel, then reverse slowly until your rear bumper is touching the car behind you and move it backwards as well, then center your car between them. At least, that's how I was taught. Same thing with our Oldsmobile wagon, as I recall.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham d'Elegance, 1985 Fleetwood Brougham *Coupe*
4,256 Posts
Well, when I was a much younger lad and we visited large cities like New York, my father taught me how to parallel park. From what I gather, the larger vehicle (1991 Suburban, in that case, or 1987 Cadillac in mine) is to put it's front area into the parking space as evenly as possible, leaving the rear wheels on the street. Then, you turn your front wheels to be parallel with the road again and slowly move forwards until your front bumper is touching the vehicle in front of you. Floor it. Move the car until there is room to fit your car in there parallel, then reverse slowly until your rear bumper is touching the car behind you and move it backwards as well, then center your car between them. At least, that's how I was taught. Same thing with our Oldsmobile wagon, as I recall.
That's the New York method; I think they actual teach that in the NYC driving schools.

In Ohio, they ignore the subject of parallel parking and tell you to avoid it at all costs.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Well, actually I am from Pennsylvania. There, they give you exactly 16 feet to parallel park in and you must make it in only three moves. try doing this in a 17 foot Lincoln.

·
Registered
chevy 350 powered 86 FWB, 00 safari h.t. 66 toro, 83 lesabre
6,397 Posts
16 feet? wow.here they give you 25 feet. I passed parallel parking with flying colors in my caddy.
realistically, I can only parallel park it at the beginning or end of a row of parked cars, since people here have no idea how to properly space out cars.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I can parallel park my car in 25 feet. If it were me in the instruction course they sent my elder brother through up north, I would have showed up in the biggest car I could find (Which I had ridiculous access to in Pennsylvania, Hercules-powered Deuce-And-a-Half anyone?) and demand that my instructor SHOW ME how to fit it in sixteen feet.

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
I have no idea why such a system never got into mass production . I am not bad at parallel parking though

1 - 15 of 15 Posts