Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know the strongest safest degreaser or chemical that can clean alot of engine sludge off my heads cams and timing area? I've gone through 3 gallons of purple power and a couple gallons of unleaded and diesel and its alot better than it was but i want it to look new before i do the timing chains. Any suggestions.

·
Registered
2009 SRX AWD 3.6L
326 Posts
Take the heads to a machine shop and they'll get them clean. They should have a big machine that they will put the heads into and it will steam clean them with chemicals and water. If that's all you want them to do I can't believe that it would cost that much.

·
Registered
SRX Escalade
25 Posts
WD40, if that doesn't cut it, I would use brake cleaner in an aerasol can.

After the engine back together just run it till it warms up, and change the oil and filter.

If you want, the first oil that you put any miles on, you could replace (1) of the quarts of oil, with ATF. ATF is very high in detergents, and it will definately help to clean it out.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im doing this with the engine together. Only things removed are the valve timing covers and intake.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking of borrowing my neighbors pressure washer. Also read that 5 gallons of kerosene in the crank case and heads over 3 days would break it up really nice. Would of course put the timing cover back on and blocking off the cam accuators areas. Just curious has anybody tried this and would it damage the engine? Im ase certified and have never dealt with this much sludge. I've got the valve covers and timing cover spotless but the engine sledge is stubborn as hell.

----------

I would post pics but this app won't let me even with my camera settings turned all the way down files too large. Oh well guess I have to draw them out lol

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I had the money i would just get another motor but the previous owner like and idiot use cheap as oil and went by the factory oil life monitor of 15k miles and built up so much sludge in the first 67k miles. Im at 89k with a stretched timing chain and trying to figure out how to break all of this up before doing the chains. I don't want to go as far as taking the heads and cams off.

·
Registered
ATS 2.0T RWD FE3
4,561 Posts
If I had the money i would just get another motor but the previous owner like and idiot use cheap as oil and went by the factory oil life monitor of 15k miles and built up so much sludge in the first 67k miles. Im at 89k with a stretched timing chain and trying to figure out how to break all of this up before doing the chains. I don't want to go as far as taking the heads and cams off.
lots of paper towels. Clean it by hand. I wouldn't do *anything* else.

I thought you at least had the heads off.

·
Registered
2007 SRX4 N*, 2004 Infinity G35 Coupe
2,005 Posts
Thinking of borrowing my neighbors pressure washer. Also read that 5 gallons of kerosene in the crank case and heads over 3 days would break it up really nice. Would of course put the timing cover back on and blocking off the cam accuators areas. Just curious has anybody tried this and would it damage the engine? Im ase certified and have never dealt with this much sludge. I've got the valve covers and timing cover spotless but the engine sledge is stubborn as hell.

----------

I would post pics but this app won't let me even with my camera settings turned all the way down files too large. Oh well guess I have to draw them out lol
I agree with rlh...........use a professional. Using a kerosene/motor oil mix was the route in the old days. But I am not sure of the mix or the length of time/miles was safe. It was shorter than the time frame you mentioned.

It is curious that your frequent oil changes and the right motor oil did not mitigate the sludge over 19,000 miles of driving.

PJ

·
Registered
05 srx awd v6 (gone), '07 GXP, 2010 li'l red wagon 3.6
3,177 Posts
Kerosene can't hurt anything as long as you re-oil everything well before starting the engine. :stirpot:

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Gotcha i think 5 gallons of kerosene should work as long as i seal the engine back up and drained flush very well. I've got the cam accuators and intake soaking in purple power and gasoline and they are cleaning up real nice. I've tried cleaning the heads up by hand and this sludge is only coming off if scraped by a flathead its too baked on. Also has anybody here used Amsoil before and if so is it better than Mobil 1? Keep in mind Im still going to change the oil every 5000-7500 miles after i know the sludge won't come back. For the first 3-5k miles Im changing the oil and flushing twice a month.

·
Registered
2010 CTS AWD Wagon 2010 BMW X5 35D 2008 GL320
2,623 Posts
I would still use a pressure washer with a degrease agent and hose it down, then make sure to prime the crap out of it after with the oil pump and turn by hand.

Try a can of carb clean and see if that works, all choices are messy.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Im up to try anything at this point well short of pulling the heads. I've tried several cans of carb cleaner and nothing. The parts i have soaking in gas are wiping right off afterwards. Im replacing the oil pump and screen too. But Im definitely going to be priming the engine before i even try to crank it after its all back together though.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3 cans of blue top fume free oven cleaner and soak for 30 mins and presto i have a spotless engine again. Pressure washed off and let dry for a little while and sprayed wd40 on it to keep it lubed while waiting on my timing chain kit. cleaned it pretty Damn good.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
555 Posts
The other poster hasn't posted here since October, 2014. Miracles do happen but I would not expect a reply.

·
1996 Deville
35 Posts
What are yhe symptoms of your stressed chain

·
Registered
2008 SRX Sport Pkg
1,147 Posts
Quite a few users here use Seafoam on an assembled engine. I have never tried it myself, but it does appear to do a pretty thorough clean-out.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts