Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets start with my car.

1998 Cadillac Seville SLS. Black paint with Chrome wheels.

I need a good wax to put on it. I am currently using Kit carnuba wax and quite frankly, it aint cutting it. I need something better, so what are you suggestions?

Secondly, I am using "Armour all Wheel Cleaner" on my rims. They look great when they are wet, but as soon as they dry, they are clouded again. I need to know what would be best to use on them.

·
Registered
2012 Escalade, 2014 SRX
13,353 Posts
If you are staying with over the counter products try Mother's Reflections, of course prep is the key, if you have any swirls you will want to remove them first. Depending on the shape of your wheels, Mother's Chrome Polish works great, once cleaned if you keep the "waxed" keeping them clean will be easier.

·
Registered
N/A
1,103 Posts
If the wheels are really bad start with Nevr-Dull from Eagle One. Well that or Mothers Chrome polish and the Mothers PowerBall.

Mothers or Eagle one chrome cleaners have always worked well for me.

If you have a preference for reduced maintenance after all the dirt and grime is off the wheel you can apply "wheel shield" to help keep corrosive thing from destroying the chrome finish.

·
Registered
99 STS
269 Posts
Maguires NXT Generation Tech Wax...By far the best wax i have ever used. Goes on easy and incredibly thin, meaning you get anywhere from 12 - 20 waxes per bottle, depending on the size of your car. On my 98 SLS I got 19 coats from a bottle. Its also really easy to wipe of with none of that powdery residue. Also if you really want it to look good, try using Maguires #83 from their professional line, they sell it at autozone. Its a dual action polisher/cleaner. It takes most swirl marks out as long as they aren't too heavy. If you do have heavy swirl marks, try using a heavier cleaner, like #85 Diamond cut, be careful not to use this stuff to much cause its pretty abrasive. It is also great for minor scratches.

As far as wheels try clay baring them. It usually helps with that cloudy look, and especially water spots. If that doesnt work, try using a product colonel brassy but be sure to dilute it with window cleaner of some sort, as it is a metal polish.

Adam

·
Registered
Cadillac
158 Posts
Maguires NXT Generation Tech Wax...By far the best wax i have ever used. Goes on easy and incredibly thin, meaning you get anywhere from 12 - 20 waxes per bottle, depending on the size of your car. On my 98 SLS I got 19 coats from a bottle. Its also really easy to wipe of with none of that powdery residue. Also if you really want it to look good, try using Maguires #83 from their professional line, they sell it at autozone. Its a dual action polisher/cleaner. It takes most swirl marks out as long as they aren't too heavy. If you do have heavy swirl marks, try using a heavier cleaner, like #85 Diamond cut, be careful not to use this stuff to much cause its pretty abrasive. It is also great for minor scratches.

As far as wheels try clay baring them. It usually helps with that cloudy look, and especially water spots. If that doesnt work, try using a product colonel brassy but be sure to dilute it with window cleaner of some sort, as it is a metal polish.

Adam

I used that nxt last week and its good stuff. But then again its a upgrade from that turtle wax i was using :cookoo:

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
Use Meguiar's Gold Class car wash soap, #1 Paint Cleaner, #2 Polish, and #3 Carnauba Wax, with Quikdetailer in every week or so. Here are the results that I gain:

·
Registered
1993 SedanDeville (RIP), 2006 CTS (current)
3,338 Posts
For even better results, use the products I recommended above, but switch the # 3 Carnauba wax for their Gold Class paste wax.

·
Registered
07 Black Raven CTS, 07 Gold Mist CTS
453 Posts
It sounds ridiculous, but give Mr. Clean sponges a try on the wheel rims.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
742 Posts

·
Registered
Tis Gone :(
3,414 Posts
All I ever use is Griots products.

Car Wash, Clay Bar, Machine Polish 3, Best in Show Wax, Spray Wax and Speed Shine.

For my chrome rims I use their Wheel Cleaner and 3 Finger Cleaning Mitt.

Any wheel cleaner that doesnt require some elbow grease is just to harsh IMO.

·
Registered
1989 Brougham,1991 Brougham 5.7, 1991 Brougham D'Elegance
119 Posts
I wash my caddy with Deep purple wash & wax shampoo, and in between washing I use Grape Gloss spray wax. To clean brake dust from my wheels and whitewalls I use Brown Royal wheel cleaner. Oh, and I cant forget Aqua gloss tire shine. Best commercial detail products I ever used.

Joe

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
912 Posts
I wash my caddy with Deep purple wash & wax shampoo, and in between washing I use Grape Gloss spray wax. To clean brake dust from my wheels and whitewalls I use Brown Royal wheel cleaner. Oh, and I cant forget Aqua gloss tire shine. Best commercial detail products I ever used.
Reading this makes me hungry... :bouncy:

·
Registered
1989 Brougham,1991 Brougham 5.7, 1991 Brougham D'Elegance
119 Posts
LOL. Yes, it makes you hungry when you use them. Grape, lime, and tropical fragrance. Its kind of pleasant when I clean my car. My neighbors smell the grape from the wash & wax and spray wax when I am cleaning. They come over to me and ask what I am using. Gee, its like I was grilling food on the BBQ.

Joe

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Deville DTS
211 Posts
Another vote for Meguiares 3 step system. It is a lot of work, as you are essentially doing your car 3 times, ( 4 actually if you clay bar first)but the results are well worth it. Their NXT was is also very good. I use their Quick detailer and a California brush whenever necessary. I only use micro fibers for drying and applications. Makes a huge difference. They make a great back to black product. I use Never Dull then Mother's Chrome polish on the chrome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts