Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac Seville STS
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace the tires on my 2002 Seville STS. According to the Technical Service Bulletins, wheel shimmy (65-75 mph) can be caused by the tires NOT being within specs of radial force variation or RFV should be 18 lbs or less and 12 lbs or LESS for customers that are "especially tuned" to the wheel shake in the 65+ mph wheel shim range. The dealer measured the FACTORY tires on my car and found one at 13, one at 16, one at 25 and one at 22. They put the two high level ones on the back of the car and I really felt the shimmy shift from the steering wheel to the seat, which is a sign that this RFV was DEFINETLY contributing to my shake. I have had everything else done to the car, including the front lower control arm replacement.

What I am looking for are the BEST tires on the market that will be at the LOWEST RFV levels to minimize the shake from the tires. Now, the dealer offered to put New factory tires on the car for 195 a piece, plus an alignment, plus Road Force Balancing, BUT, if the original factory tires had such a diverse range, I am weary of buying replacements of the same design. Now, the dealer would ensure that the tires were well below the 18 lbs per tire, as they can swap out tires with their distributor, until a full set of tires are located within the tolerances.

I am looking at the alternative of purchasing my tires through TireRack.com and purchasing the BEST tire available for the Seville STS that will work in all weather (including snow, NJ snow storms...) AND will have a VERY LOW RFV lb rating.

Has anyone had excellent experience with tires? Please let me know what you purchased and if the tires helped with the wheel shimmy.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Registered
1996 Deville (sold), 2000 Mustang GT
1,300 Posts
Tirerack.com is the only place I buy my tires from for a couple reasons. Their prices are better than any retailer and they have a better selection. You can also read reviews from owners on every tire they have. Also the tire decision guide will help you find exactly what your looking for, and the sales reps are extremely helpful. Their warehouse is in delaware so shipping to jersey is very quick. As far as the tires, I stick with michelins, they are definetly worth the extra cash.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,106 Posts
:) Mike, looks as if you've done your homework in the Forum as far as searching all the threads for shimmy, road force, etc. That said, I had OEM Goodyears on my STS for 41,500 miles, no vibration to 130. At 5 1/2 years they developed sidewall cracks so I replaced them with the new Cooper CS4 V-rated all-season tires. $635 on the road. Broke 'em in on the back roads and highway. No vibration to 130. Great tires...quiet, sticky, and a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty. Drive 'em for 45 days. If you don't like them, Cooper will take them back. Just a few thoughts. BTW, if you buy tires locally, you always have someone to go to for flats, warranty, and probably lifetime balancing and rotation.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I would never buy tires from an online source, especially in this situation. You want to buy your tires from the same shop who is doing your road force balance, so you can easily get a replacement tire if it's needed.

I've also found Tirerack to often be more expensive than local shops, even without the shipping cost. Factor in shipping, plus the added cost to have a local shop install them, and Tirerack can be hundreds of dollars more expensive. Definitely shop around locally and compare prices. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I've bought many sets of tires from Sam's Club and they've given excellent customer service. For just $9/tire, the price includes installation, mounting and balancing, lifetime rotation and balancing, and roadhazard warranty. You can't beat that with a stick. When you figure in the total cost, including installation, I don't see the value in purchasing them online.

My '01 has Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus. They're excellent tires. You can have them for about $140 each at your local warehouse club if you're a member. To me, it's worth the price of membership just for the tires.

The Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus tires are being phased out (after a LONG production run). It's being replaced by the Michelin Primacy MXV4, which looks like an excellent tire. If mine needed new tires (mine are currently brand new), I'd look at the Primacys.

·
Registered
1999 STS - diamond white
5,229 Posts
I bought my Michelin HydroEdges from Sam's. Before that I bought Bridgestones for my TurboCoupe from Tires Plus. They matched the Tire Rack. There's no reason not to buy tires from a brick-and-morter place these days, and as mentioned you can take your problem locally if things don't work out.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice everyone. Yes, I usually get the price from Tire Rack and then take the printed quote to a local shop, who usually match the price plus the shipping cost. Have to find one with a Hunter Road force balancer and willing to sell lifetime warranty on the tires. I guess my dilemma is balancing a tire that tracks well in dry weather in corners, handles well in wet weather, deals with snow in a reasonable manner AND MOST IMPORTANT will NOT FREAKING shimmy on me! :)

Mike

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a second note, have any of you had a better experience with a Cadillac Dealership doing the 4 wheel alignment vs a local shop?

Mike

·
Administrator
69,106 Posts
50/50, local over dealer, so no opinion. Tire talk, like oil talk, is purely subjective and should be taken FWIW with a healthy grain of salt. I owe Cooper Tire nothing, but either log on or call them. The CS4 Touring is one h of a tire. BTW, Have you ever seen a tire with a slight "hollow" in the sidewall which extends from the tread to the bead? This "hollow" is a hard spot in the sidewall construction, and when that section hits the ground, it causes a very slight rebound influence on the suspension, therefore vibration. Look at some of the GM TSB's regarding customer complaints of vibration. ajxtcman can supply the URL's. (Curious....when I searched Tire Rack for Goodyears last month, their base price was more than the delivered price from a local dealer...)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,979 Posts
My '02 SLS had the vibration (do a search for "Ruby's vibrator") when I bought it at 13K. A set of Goodyear Assurance Comfort Treads cured it before I sold it to my daughter. Now my DHS has developed a slight vibration after a rotation (it was RF balanced). :mad: It has Michelin Symmetry's.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I owe Cooper Tire nothing, but either log on or call them. The CS4 Touring is one h of a tire.
I went on their website, and that CS4 Touring does look like one heck of a tire. I wish Cooper had a better distribution network. The only dealers near me are rinky-dink stores that I wouldn't trust. :(

Is there any national chain that carries them? Even Sears or Wal-Mart I would trust over some of these local dudes. I've bought many a set from Sam's Club with great experience, but their brand selection is small. I usually like Michelin, and they do carry that brand, but it'd be nice to have some more choices as well. There are some FANTASTIC new tires out there in this category, including the Cooper CS4 Touring, the new Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity Technology, the new Michelin Primacy MXV4, etc.

Lots of great choices for H/V-rated tires. But again, does anyone know if the Coopers are available at a national chain?

·
Administrator
69,106 Posts
From what I can gather, Cooper has never gone after the OEM market, preferring to stay as a "replacement". Mine came through a local Western Auto dealership. Some people like the new Goodyear ResponsEdge skins, too. Trouble is, someone can get a new set of tires and have no problems, and the next guy can get the identical set and be miserable. I'd be a liar if I said I had never had tire problems...some really squirrely. Maybe most of the quality control goes to NASCAR......... BTW, tires are stocked at regional distribution centers, and any shop can order a set of this or that. I doubt that any tire manufacturer has an exclusive grip on a region.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
BTW, tires are stocked at regional distribution centers, and any shop can order a set of this or that. I doubt that any tire manufacturer has an exclusive grip on a region.
I wish that were always true...that is, any retailer could order any tire. I know with Sam's (where I prefer to buy tires), there are certain brands that they stock and certain ones that they don't. And if a certain brand is not in their "purchasing chain", they can't get it. Unfortunately, Cooper is one of them. They can get a FEW Goodyear tires (and even stock some). And even fewer Bridgestones. Most of what they carry are Michelin/Goodrich.

I may check with Sears and see what they can get, and for what price. You can't even buy Cooper through Tirerack. :(

I'm not looking for tires to buy...but I'm always interested in what I can get and for how much.

·
Registered
96 SLS
160 Posts
I am looking at replacments for my Sigma Regents Touring Tire (tire Kingdom) - never buy those again. Poor performance and poor wear. I am looking at the Michelin's: Symmetry ($117), Energy LX4 ($135), Primacy MXV4 H rating ($139) and the Primacy MXV4 v rating ($162). What the difference besides price. If I purchase from tire kingdom again I will get 20% off total purchase and I have 1 week left on my 3 year front end alignment warranty (expires 7/24/07). Plus $100 instant rebate off 4 tire purchase of Michelin. Can not wait much longer. One tire just a few months old, 2 front tire worn beyond use due to worn front end parts (being replaced right now) and one tire with steel belt seperation.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
The Symmetry (S-rated) is going to be the "softest" of the four, by far. It's the standard tire on the DeVille and works well on that car. It's also very similar to the OE tire on your car (if it's the 1996 SLS listed in your profile), the Michelin XW4. The Symmetry essentially replaced the now-discontinued XW4. If you're not a real hard driving kind of person, the Symmetry would make a great choice.

The Primacy MXV4 is a brand new tire, replacing (I believe) the aging Energy MXV4 Plus. Like the Energy tire, the Primacy is available in both H and V speed ratings. H = 130 mph, V = 149 mph. Both would be "overkill" on your SLS, in terms of top speed rating. Of those two versions, I would consider only the H-rated version for an SLS. Being a brand new tire, it should be about the best in the Michelin line right now. It's more of a "touring" tire...the Symmetry being an "all season" tire (less capable overall).

One tire I would add to your list, if you are a member of a wholesale club (like Sam's, BJs, Costco), is the Michelin X Radial. I had that tire on my 1997 SLS (and it's still on there; my brother owns the car now). It's an excellent tire at a great price. It's kind of a compromise between a real comfort-tuned tire like the Symmetry and a more performance-tuned tire like the Primacy. I recommend that tire without reservation -- it was the best passenger all season tire I've owned.

The Energy LX4, I wouldn't really consider. It's mostly an OE-type tire (meaning a lot of manufacturers use it from the factory nowadays). It's a fine tire, but its engineering compromises are going to be towards fuel economy and ride, and tread wear and performance likely suffer. It's also rather expensive for what you get. I really wouldn't consider that one.

Let us know what you decide to do!

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
I need to replace the tires on my 2002 Seville STS. According to the Technical Service Bulletins, wheel shimmy (65-75 mph) can be caused by the tires NOT being within specs of radial force variation or RFV should be 18 lbs or less and 12 lbs or LESS for customers that are "especially tuned" to the wheel shake in the 65+ mph wheel shim range. The dealer measured the FACTORY tires on my car and found one at 13, one at 16, one at 25 and one at 22. ...
IMO even 12 pounds is on the "edge" of what I would accept... I would NOT accept NEW tires with a RFB number greater then 10. I paid a small fortune for a set of Michelin A/S Pilots all with RFB numbers of 8 or less.

You need to find a tire shop that has 5 or 6 tires in stock and have them agree to sell the > 10 lb tires to someone else... My local tire shop did this and yes as you noted he matched tire racks prices too...

And as I have ranted over and over.... when you get the RFB done... ASK for the report that tells you how bad/good each tire is and the run-out for each wheel.

Yes this is all a PIA... but this will solve 90% of the vibration problems untill the next time you need tires.

(fixed mine!)

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
IMO even 12 pounds is on the "edge" of what I would accept... I would NOT accept NEW tires with a RFB number greater then 10. I paid a small fortune for a set of Michelin A/S Pilots all with RFB numbers of 8 or less.
Did you get the unidirectional Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires?

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
Yes,

Amazing tires in the dry and the wet and snow... wear rate about average for me... Not great and not terrible either... ride quality OK... Noise not so good... Compared to the stock RSAs...
THESE ARE SOME NOISY TIRES
My car is a "Z/W" rated tire so I got W rated tires... next time I will go for a "H" rated tire...

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
I had a Vogue at 0 lbs the other day. I have had several at 3 LBS.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
OK I see most Vogues above 30 LBS. It take on average 8 tire to get 4 tire at or under 18LBS. If the customer is complaining then we need them under 12 LBS. It may take 16 to 20 Vogue Tyres to get 4 good ones. We see from time to time a bad Goodyear or Michelin tires. We have got a new OE tire that is very close to a Vogue. Continental tires. WOW RFV of 30+ all the time and they squeak against the rims.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, it appears that I have the Michelin MVX4 on the car, which was stock from Cadillac. I appreciate the advice on the 10 lbs or less for RFB, I will take that to the shop that puts the tires on the car. I really like the specs that show up on the Cooper tires that were mentioned earlier in this thread. I just need to find a shop with a Hunter machine and has like 16 of them on hand.

I am then going to take the car to the dealer and get the alignment done, get a couple things fixed under warranty and then see what happens. I really appreciate the advice everyone, I hope this approach will fix my shimmy. I plan on getting the tires in the next two weeks, they will probably be either the Cooper tires or the Goodyear, I believe that was listed, which took the shimmy out of the Seville also listed earlier in this thread. It is shame that no distributors have their RFB ratings listed, or at least ATTEMPT to keep them under 10 lbs per tire! I would pay just about ANY amount if I could find a set that guaranteed their lb ratings!

Mike

1 - 20 of 44 Posts